Identifying my homestead plants

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Peanut , is this Corn Salad?
If it is I'm a millionaire...I got acres of it.
I'll sell it for $1.00 a sack , and be rich.

IMG_20200427_142535826.jpg
IMG_20200427_142844740.jpg
IMG_20200427_141749985.jpg

Jim

Come and listen to the story bout a man named Jim! *****and up through the ground came a bubbling Corn Salad! :rolleyes:

You've struck corn salad! It has a yummy flavor.

The way the little limbs split and the blooms are in pairs are unique in nature... nothing resembles it.

Come and listen to the story bout a man named Jim! *****and up through the ground came a bubbling Corn Salad! :rolleyes:

You've struck corn salad! It has a yummy flavor.

The way the little limbs split and the blooms are in pairs are unique in nature... nothing resembles it.

IM RICH ! :LOL:

I'm gonna pick me a mess of it and try it.
I've eat worse things than weeds.

I'll let you know if I like it .

Thanks for the help.

Jim

I got a lot of this plant also.
It just looks more inviting or edible than those corn salad weeds.

It's gotta be edible.

Big leafy like spinach leaves.
Lays low on the ground.

Jim

I wouldn't make that bet... Something about the veins in the leaves bother me. I don't recognize it off hand but it reminds me of something I can't put my finger on. Give me a day or so to ponder this one.

Jim, see if those leaves grow a stalk in about a month with purple/blue blooms... This is what your leaves remind me of - Salvia lyrate aka cancer weed aka Lyre-leaf Sage. I've never heard of anyone eating it. I did find references to eating it on the net...

The more I look at your leaves and compare them to leaves on the net... pretty sure now.

I don't know this guy out in Texas personally, only by reputation among serious foragers. It's a good one, solid first hand information, not copy and pasted info from the net. He has some info on eating Salvia lyrate.

https://www.foragingtexas.com/2006/02/lyreleaf-sage.html

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/cancer-weed.1988/

Last edited:
Jim, see if those leaves grow a stalk in about a month with purple/blue blooms... This is what your leaves remind me of - Salvia lyrate aka cancer weed aka Lyre-leaf Sage. I've never heard of anyone eating it. I did find references to eating it on the net...

The more I look at your leaves and compare them to leaves on the net... pretty sure now.

I don't know this guy out in Texas personally, only by reputation among serious foragers. It's a good one, solid first hand information, not copy and pasted info from the net. He has some info on eating Salvia lyrate.

https://www.foragingtexas.com/2006/02/lyreleaf-sage.html

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/cancer-weed.1988/

I will keep an eye on it.

Jim

Anything edible here?

Btw, I pulled a handful of those corn salad weeds , and set there and eat a bunch of the leaves .
Can't describe the taste ..leafy...not bitter, not strong..little bland , but ok.

IMG_20200427_141707190.jpg
IMG_20200427_141724664.jpg

We call these wild daisies

Jim

Yep, one of the daisy's. Most are called Ox eye daisy... I think yours is the western daisy aka Astranthium integrifolium... the early spring daisy's have some obscure medicinal uses. I don't use it but thats not to say it's not worth knowing.

No I found it while cruising YOUTUBE.
I agree one should obey the law now, but after the fall we will need TP that grows on trees/herbs, so knowing everything about a plant could save our life & this is a very complete video, with caution on over use of the seeds.
How does that tea taste & is it hard to make?

@backlash as you discovered, it is chicory. you can make tea from it too.
@joel mullein leaf is hard to dry because the leaves are so thick. That is what you make the tea from, the leaves. It is strong, almost bitter, and quite dark of a tea. Many say it is good for the lungs but I used it for the lymphatic system. As part of a daily routine for years I drank a cup of mullein, red raspberry leaf and horsetail grass tea. I would back off on horsetail and switch it out with oatstraw tea. I think I should go back to drinking it.

You are absolutely correct. I took just took a sample to the county extension office and they verified it is Chicory.
Now, how do I get rid of it is the question.
You pull it up, dry the roots and sell it as very expensive "coffee". They you will be able to hire an exterminator when it grows back.

Chicory doesn't appear to be quite as aggressive as some other naturalized plants. However, the seeds are spread by the wind. The roots also enable this to spread. The plant goes by various other common names.

Back