Identity Theft Suspect had Profiles of over 20,000 People

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/...MWnsbZ6FO7JzmcyuSD9JLuzTuU2TKMnNZ3a7J7FeFAkuY

Two men have been arrested in Claremont on suspicion of identity theft after officers pulled them over and found stolen mail, credit cards, phony drivers licenses and a key used to open community mailboxes, police said Wednesday.

Raymond Lussow, 28, of Pomona and 39-year-old transient Joseph Martinez were arrested on Monday, according to Claremont Police Department Lt. Jason Walters.

Officers pulled over the suspects about 2:05 p.m. Monday near Indian Hill Boulevard and First Street, Walters said.

"The driver (Martinez) was determined to be under the influence of drugs, driving with a suspended license and had an active warrant," Walters said. "A passenger in the vehicle (Lussow) also had an active warrant for his arrest."

Both were arrested at the scene after the stolen mail and other items were found in the vehicle, Walters said.

"The investigation led detectives to the Claremont Lodge (at) 736 S. Indian Hill Blvd. where the suspects had fraudulently rented a room," Walters said. "A search of the room led to additional stolen mail, (a) card reader, fraudulent checks and over 20,000 personal profiles of identity theft victims."

Investigators are working with the U.S. Postal Service in pursuing federal charges against the two men, Walters said.

Martinez was booked on suspicion of DUI and both men were booked on suspicion of identity theft, mail theft, illegal possession of a card reader and forgery.

Martinez is being held in lieu of $50,000 bail and Lussow in lieu of $80,000 bail, Walters said.

A female who worked in the Patient Registration at the local hospital was busted for taking people's information home to her boyfriend who then opened CC at places online. I can't remember how much they got away with before she was caught

I really like my LifeLock. $20 a month is worth having that piece of mind. They've caught a number of times my info was out on the "dark web" and stopped it ( somehow. still know how that works but it does lol)

A female who worked in the Patient Registration at the local hospital was busted for taking people's information home to her boyfriend who then opened CC at places online. I can't remember how much they got away with before she was caught

I really like my LifeLock. $20 a month is worth having that piece of mind. They've caught a number of times my info was out on the "dark web" and stopped it ( somehow. still know how that works but it does lol)

That has happened at several hospitals.
Also some crooks take out loans on peoples property and they don't even know it till they go to sell or borrow.

I started getting mail for people that I don't know and never lived here. I looked them up on line and their Facebook page says they live in Venezuela. A family of 3 people.
All the mail is from state agencies or state health care insurers. I tried to report the fraud but nobody cares. I would write fraud on the envelopes and return the mail. Still getting it. Contacted the post office several times , no help.
I can not get it to stop no matter what I do so I just toss it all in the trash.
As a result I bought a locking mailbox just in case someone comes for their mail.
My theory is everyone's identity has been stolen and if it hasn't been used yet it's just because the bad guys haven't gotten to you yet. Give them time and they will get to you.
Someone cloned my bank card and used it in New York to buy McDonald's. My bank shut the card off immediately because their system detected it as fraud.

Someone cloned my bank card and used it in New York to buy McDonald's. My bank shut the card off immediately because their system detected it as fraud.
Fraud in NYC is fairly common. I have heard of people from other parts of the country having problems with using their cell phones there, because of all the fraud. someone I know couldn't use their phone, because the phone company had so many issues with cloning of their accounts.

RFD blocking wallets have become a thing because people can walk down the street and with a device, grab your CC information that can then be replicated and used before you know what happened.

I used to think that shredding all financial paperwork was important. I still do shred all mine, but I believe that skimming devices and other techniques grab more cards. I had my card information grabbed a couple years ago, probably from a skimming device. Another time, I believe it was replicated when I placed an order for something and did a return to California. Someone got pizza with my account.

In the Denver area, the Russian mob is one of the problems. They own run down gas stations where you have to go to a window with your card. Red flag there! These stations often have the cheapest gas for many miles. It is times like this when it is worth paying a little more for your gas. They put skimmers at other stations. They have run parking lots for many years, where you put $ in a deposit box. They do not declare the cash and sometimes they go after people, claiming they have not paid. Prove it. They also have run trash companies in the suburban cities. I wondered for years why so many places had no city wide trash pickup like the city of Denver has. Because the mob has been in the trash business for years. The city of Arvada, Colorado, in the Denver metro area, in fact has tried to create their own city trash pickup. The city council receives death threats during those times. I imagine that is true for all the other surrounding areas who have never gotten past the mob threats. When people talk about one of the problems they have had, I tell them about the Russian mob. Many are completely shocked, because the Russian mob flies under the radar and people are completely unaware they even exist, let alone exist in Colorado.

...My theory is everyone's identity has been stolen and if it hasn't been used yet it's just because the bad guys haven't gotten to you yet. Give them time and they will get to you...

I followed my oldest daughter's advice. I went online to the three major credit bureaus and closed all and any future credit approvals. So if my ID is stolen, they can't open any lines of credit or acquire loans.

My card was compromised while I was in Seattle used my card to buy lunch and dinner and at the time there was a big theft occurring that was discovered too late. A bunch of people had their card numbers stolen.

When I got my new drivers license they sent me a sleeve and the instructions said to keep the DL in it at all times except when crossing a boarder or flying.

Latest posts

Back