If you could talk to one person (dead or alive) who would it be?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Really the ONE thing that I would do a bit differently if I could go back in time is I would love to sit down and really talk to my Grandpa. He's long gone now, but I'm seeing some things now in him that I didn't see back then.

He was a small business owner that fixed electronics....mostly TV's. He was a Ham radio operator and I can remember his call sign like he was talking on that radio yesterday. I was just a kid when I'd go and visit and hear him in his radio room. He was a Moose Lodge member and a Mason. He volunteered at the State Home fixing their equipment. He didn't have a lot of money but was very simple and wore the same thing all the time, so he didn't want for much. Looking at him and how he lived, you'd think he was poor, but that's just the way he was. He re-purposed everything as did many who lived through the Depression. He loved tinkering with mechanical stuff. After his death the family found a decent amount of cash in his room and stocks in the local bank. Apparently one of the major stock holders at the bank was always hounding him to sell his shares so he could have majority stake in the bank and my Grandpa refused. Go Grampa!! He was one of those quiet rebels.....stubborn but kind. He didn't go to church but he was a man of god. I miss him and wonder now what kind of secrets did Grampa have???? I'd love to sit down and talk with him for a spell.

Oh my goodness, how to limit it to one person? There are a number of people I should have spent more time with when I was young and stupid (and didn't know it). Now they're gone.

Also, I'm a genealogist, and there are so many people going up the family tree that I never met but wish I could know. I develop a connection and fondness for just about everyone I research, but there are some that I feel a very spiritual connection to, even though they lived well over 100 years ago. I would LOVE to know their stories.

Jesus. I would love to hear some gospel without religion attached.

My second choice would be Amelia Earhart. Just to find out what happened.

Not a difficult question to answer at all. My mother will have been gone 60 years this July. She has been far too long, and since I was so young, I really hardly knew her. She was a very kind and gentle person. She was a registered nurse who would regularly visit the elderly and sick people in my small town, providing care and listening to them. People tell me that they remember her visiting their homes and giving them immunizations, shots. It was her profession as an RN that also took her life. She contracted viral hepatitis while working nights at a hospital where several men who were burned in a really bad fire and explosion were being treated. Four men died from that fire. Several more were not expected to make it, but did. It is a story that people remember clearly because of the horror.

Not a difficult question to answer at all. My mother will have been gone 60 years this July. She has been far too long, and since I was so young, I really hardly knew her. She was a very kind and gentle person. She was a registered nurse who would regularly visit the elderly and sick people in my small town, providing care and listening to them. People tell me that they remember her visiting their homes and giving them immunizations, shots. It was her profession as an RN that also took her life. She contracted viral hepatitis while working nights at a hospital where several men who were burned in a really bad fire and explosion were being treated. Four men died from that fire. Several more were not expected to make it, but did. It is a story that people remember clearly because of the horror.

Bless her heart. And yours for your loss. Sounds liek she was a wonderful person.:heart:

JinPan Mei. Never Going To Happen.
11159520_750388121749218_7315630402280452684_n.jpg
My Sacrifice.

I was going to say Jesus too but was beat to it by a like thinker. :(
My second choice is Adam. You know the first man in creation. I want to see if he had a belly button. I mean he didn't need it, lint hadn't been invented yet. :)

Couple of thoughts on this. My #1 would be my Mamaw. I spent a lot of time with her and Papaw growing up, not nearly enough after I grew up. Life seemed to get in the way. I really miss her.
My #2 would be my dad. He was killed in Vietnam when I was 5. I never got to know him and have always wonder what he would have thought of me and what he would have taught me.

My Great-grandmother on my dads side ... It was written in the family bible she was Shawnee, and an adopted daughter.
My question to her would be how did a Shawnee baby get on the east coast. (Not that I don't know the answer...)
I would love to have a chat with her. (what can I say)

This really is not an easy question to answer as there are so many amazing and some criminally insane people throughout history I would loved to interview. I mean it would be awesome to interview say George Washington or the Apostle Paul, but it would interesting to interview Hitler too. Plus of course there are those mystery people like Emilia or DB Sweeney. Plus apparently when I read the subject I missed the "alive" part and focused solely on those who are no longer with us.

All of the family that I am closest to are still alive so my perspective in that area is perhaps different from others in this thread. But because of this thread I am going to give my parents a call today just to say hello and let them know I love them. There is no time like the present.

I pass this unanswered thread multiple times a day, but still don't have the correct answer to post. My first gut feeling is talk with my mom, who I lost when I was 10 years old. Then, I changed my mind, and would like to talk to my dad, whom I lost 9 years ago. But, this is selfish on my part. If there was a way to convince Hitler that his future act was a foolish one, I could possibly save millions of people.

I'll bet Marilyn Monroe could make a few interesting stories...
Seriously, there have been a lot of interesting people who have and are living on this planet but there are others, I am sure, who live or have lived on other planets. It might be interesting to have a talk with one, or more, of those.

Who was she Resto?
Long Story Short. She "Is" JinPan Mei. She is a Language Professor at Beijing Aerospace University. She is a "Chinese National" and a Christian. At This Time, I will lose my Clearance if I have "Personal Friendships" with "Foreign Nationals" from Certain Countries. SOOOOO I informed her and she understands. For now, we just send Holiday Greetings through Very Short E Mails.

There are so many people I miss. And ancestors I never met but found the history of and am curious about why they lived the way they did, choices they made.

But for less personal thought, Benjamin Franklin or Mahatma Gandhi.

Latest posts

Back