If you could....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swing

Porch Lover
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
would you go back to High School years and do them over?

I saw this question somewhere else and thought it was a good question.

My answer no. I was a good student, did ballet class and stayed in my room most of the time at home. There was no particular friends at school or anything that made it worth doing over.

So were they good days that would be worth doing again, or not so great and not worth the bother?

No not go back and re-experience High School........But if I could do it all over.....well I ran away from home just before turning 16 y/o I got two jobs and worked my way through High School. But instead of wasting four years at RIT, I wish I had departed for Alaska the day after I graduated.

Or better yet, would have been to have hauled my butt to Alaska at age 17 and got a job here. I think I could have pulled that off. Trying that at age 16 without a parents consent letter or court order would have been hard. I did get a court order for emancipation from my parents. I don't remember how old I was when that came through.

Last edited:
I'm with you on this one!

I did well academically and athletically in HS, but I was a bit of a tomboy and the boys don't really care for that. So, boys didn't really enter the picture until after HS. A few years afterward I met my best friend and married him. Now....those days I'd do over again and do them exactly the way we did the first time. Those were fun times!.....and we're still having fun. :)

Nah, HS is one and done. I have no desire to re-live those days. I guess that's why I don't go to reunions either.

would you go back to High School years and do them over?..

Well, goersh.. IF I could be 'Me, Today' (just Mentally tho.. the grey-hair would quickly sound alarm-bells and no doubt the FBI would get called.. ;) but in my 14-15 y.o. Frame, well.. That.. Could be 'tempting'.. :p I Most Certainly would not 'suffer any bullying' the second time around.. 😈

..But if I had to be 'Me, At that age'.. Nope, nada, nein, no way jose.. I'd rather get my teeth drilled.. ;)

jd

I would only do it again, if I could take the knowledge I have now back to high school with me. I would have done a lot of things differently. I would have gotten in better shape for football. Some of the girls I didn't even notice then, would be the ones I would ask out instead of the cheerleader types. I would treat certain people better than I did, and some of the people I did treat well wouldn't get the time of day from me.

Not gonna lie, high school was good. But it could have been so much better if I did things differently...

I hated school with a passion, I've learned far more on my own, no way I'd want to do the school thing all over again.
Me too!!!
I was so happy when I got my first Kindle.
I could get any book I wanted!:woo hoo:
Found a whole bunch of fantastic ebooks!
Evidently, I have really good taste - not a single one of them was less than $255.00 .:mad:

I would do high school over again in a heartbeat. Not change anything mind you, just go back and get to relive the same over again. I had a great time. Even though I was a band nerd, a math whiz, made straight A's, and all the other stuff that normally gets you beat up by the jocks.

So many good times in high school. Went to my 40th reunion a few years back. That was great. Even people you didn't hang out with in school were like long lost best buddies (there were 450 of us in my class). Even one of the cheerleaders, the prettiest girl in school actually, became good friends with me at that reunion. We worked together designing a picture album of the reunion after it ended (several thousand miles apart). We traded emails and text messages for years afterwards (that's trailed off now though). Me, the band nerd, and the cheerleader. That would have never happened IN high school, that's for sure. We're just friends - we're both happily married to other people.

Even the ex-jocks were cool at the reunion. Maturity does wonders for people. I would scream it from the hilltops to people who don't think they'd ever want to see their old high school classmates again. Go to your reunion! Go! Go! My 20th reunion was fun too, but people still tended to hang out with their old high school groupings at that one. But by the 40th, everyone was just one big grinning group of friends.

High school was one of the best times in my life (I didn't necessarily think so back then, but I realize it now). If I could pick one era of my life to experience again, that would be it. College was a bit of a letdown after high school for me. College is where you let go of your youth and have to become an adult. I know it's not that way for all people, but for me it was.

I wouldn't go back to High School even though it was a very good experience, no regrets there. I would go back to college, and take an entirely different career path. I know I would have been a lot happier, and been more successful.

I'd redo the fun social part , cutting class, first car , hot rodding with buddies, beer parties, dating every girl I could, football, basketball, hanging out at the local greasy spoon, 15 cent burgers with grilled onions.
That was great...great memories.

The school part I hated. Passed every class with red F- with red circle, just enough to graduate , then dean's honor list every semester in college.

Jim

My 20th reunion was fun too, but people still tended to hang out with their old high school groupings at that one. But by the 40th, everyone was just one big grinning group of friends.
I went to one reunion b/c I just happened to be in town the same weekend the reunion was happening. I think it was the 20th? What I realized was that the people I didn't care for in HS were still jerks and the people I liked were still cool. Maybe I need to consider going to the 40th, but I doubt I will. The people I liked then, I still keep in touch with and the people I didn't care for, I never even think about.

I'll pass, once was enough. Course work was good, paid off in my career choice. Social stuff was fun.

If I had to do it over again I would skip the semester of college courses, all I learned was the professors were completely out of touch with reality.

My DW has her 40th HS reunion coming up, she is looking forward to it :)

NO, I would be a different person without the mistakes I made in the past. I like who I am so it's not worth the risk.

NO, I would be a different person without the mistakes I made in the past. I like who I am so it's not worth the risk.
I kinda liked the 'mad-scientist' back then.:D
You know what you get when you measure out the correct amount of powdered zinc and measure out the exact correct amount of powdered sulfur, mix them together, put them in a cardboard tube with a firecracker fuse sticking out?
You get an F in chemistry and sentenced to summer school ☹
...and a different teacher.:oops:
I still have our 12th-grade chemistry textbook with the correct procedure to prepare nitroglicerine (intentional misspelling to throw off the 'bots). The one on Wikipedia is incorrect for a really good reason.
We had fun.:p
Edit: We made silver acetylide too. Can't believe I still remembered the recipe after all these years.
Want to know how 'snap-n-pops' work? There you go! :thumbs:

Last edited:
There wouldn't be a point to reliving that time not knowing what I do now, so, no, I wouldn't want to go back. Sure, I had some great times and some not-so-great times. I can relive those in my memories; I don't need to do it again.

I wouldn't want to, but not because of school. School was my safe place. I wouldn't want to because then I would live in the same dysfunctional family. I have many friends from my small hometown. I have been back to several class reunions and all school reunions. There are many wonderful people who grew up there. I was never popular, but that is okay with me.

Last edited:
I kinda liked the 'mad-scientist' back then.:D
You know what you get when you measure out the correct amount of powdered zinc and measure out the exact correct amount of powdered sulfur, mix them together, put them in a cardboard tube with a firecracker fuse sticking out?
I still have our 12th-grade chemistry textbook with the correct procedure to prepare nitroglicerine (intentional misspelling to throw off the 'bots). The one on Wikipedia is incorrect for a really good reason.
We had fun.:p
Edit: We made silver acetylide too. Can't believe I still remembered the recipe after all these years.
Want to know how 'snap-n-pops' work? There you go! :thumbs:
Somehow, I think our libraries may kinda look alike :)

For the curious:

We actually got her fired (for the teacher's union it was called a 3-year hiatus until people forget what she did). Not for letting us kids have fun, nope.
She was giving grades below 0 into negative numbers -10, -15 and averaging them in with your grades.
She had us do lab reports and she took off points if you forgot to put the date on it,-10. Forget to sign it, -15. Etc. When you got your paper back, A zero was not bad enough for you.:waiting:
Well that's a big problem. Your grade is the percentage you got right. You can't do worse than 0%...unless you were in her class.
I do remember my dad (a NASA rocket-scientist engineer) was at her hearing.
He had a big yellow legal-pad with a lot of stuff written on it with his 'engineer pencil'.
(You sharpen both ends, one is red, one is blue).
I and others had our papers ready with the -10 and -15 grades on them.
She was fried. But I still had to go to summer school.gaah

It doesn't take a hot poker to set the zinc and sulfur off. It's also a lousy rocket fuel.

It doesn't take a hot poker to set the zinc and sulfur off. It's also a lousy rocket fuel.
Well, I can tell you that you don't want to light it with a match!
Arm hair takes a long time to grow back. :oops:
The silver acetylide is even more 'touchy'. Don't drop it on the floor! That's all it needs to go pow.

Latest posts

Back