If you could....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No wonder you had to go to summer school, @Supervisor42 She was a lousy teacher!
Repeat high school years...it probably wouldn't be better. I don't know if I understand the question. Like start over? Or repeat it because it was so wonderful? Ha.
I hated middle school and that was where it all started...There were fun times in high school but I'd rather not repeat that. If I could go back and make all the smart and brave choices this time, that would be cool.

No wonder you had to go to summer school, @Supervisor42 She was a lousy teacher! ...
I'll have to be 'the devil's-advocate' on this. If you consider that I still remember most of what she taught me, 48 years later, that is good teaching!
If she hadn't cheated with the grade book because she didn't like us guys, she would have been great.
I was a solid D+ student in everything because that's all you needed to pass.
It drove my teachers nuts when they would give a 10 question pop-quiz.
I would answer the first 7 and leave the rest blank. Because that was all I needed to do.
In my book an A+ had no more value than a C-. Both will get you passed. :thumbs:
I guess I should mention that I was a terrible student because I made teachers look bad when they really weren't.
On topic: If I went back, today's teachers would probably hang themselves.:oops:

Somethings for I would love to go back, had some great times, at times. But the biggest thing is to take a much different tack in my studies. I took just basics in math and some science. I did take biology and chemistry. Should have done all the advanced math that was offered, and studied chemistry instead of raising hell. I did take 2 years of auto mechanics, wish I had took electronics for the second year, and metals for the 3rd. All these would have benifited me greatly after I got out.

Also would have chased more of the girls. I was a loner till my Jr and Sr years, should have corrected that much sooner. And most of all, actually did a Sr year, I got a job the summer before it started (fulltime) and only took one class so I could graduate. I also started dating my future Ex that year. Just a total wasted year of what should have been a lot of fun.

But other than the learning aspect, no I wouldn't go back for anything other than the health aspect. I felt a whole lot better at 18 than 60 does. dancing chicken

No, I would not want to go back and do it again. I went to two different schools actually because my parents moved us. School was hard for me and I skipped school a lot. I quit going in the 10th grade, before I was old enough to formally quit. My parents both worked so they did not know. Eventually I got my GED and went to secretarial school and was on the honor roll. So I was not really held back by not finishing though I did not go to college. Maybe if I had to do it all over again I would have tried to do better. But that was before computers and the internet and that is the only way I would do it again.

On the one hand, it would be fun. I would not be such a dork, and I might get more dates. It would be tedious to do all the school work again, though, even though I could probably crank through much of it pretty fast (even with no internet). Then again, I guess I would be pretty smart at buying stocks and sports betting, so why would I need to study?

On the other hand, things have turned out well for me, and I'd be worried that anything I did differently would have a "butterfly effect" and, for example, prevent me from meeting and marrying my awesome wife in my mid 20's. Plus, all that hard work I did made me the type of person she married, so doing things differently would change who I was.

So, if I couldn't return to the here-and-now, I'm not sure I would want to go back.

As far as high school reunions are concerned, I too have found that maturity does wonders for people. I enjoy the reunions. The first few...5yr?...10yr?...maybe not so much. But by the 20th year, all was good, and everyone had a great time, regardless of cliques in high school.

I think if I could go back I'd go to my 20s, not high school. The decisions we make then, shape what we are now, and I'm still paying the price for some of them. I would have quit college sooner, I'd have taken a few more chances. I would have drank less and I would have paid more attention to the world around me. What seemed important then means nothing at all now...

I don‘t have any desire to redo any of my past except maybe to have seen Led Zeppelin live. But I didn’t live anywhere near where I could have made that happen. With that, back to the present as I prep for the future!

Rock on!

Yes. I was a smart student but not a studious one. I would go back and buckle down. While I did get decent grades I would aim for setting the curve the second time and forget about boys.

If I did go back, I would:
  • Learn to play guitar.
  • Drink less, but drink better (and therefore not save any money)...maybe take a bar-tending course.
  • Pay more attention in conversations.
  • Not be such a dumb-ass at times.
  • Take dance lessons.
  • Learn a martial art seriously (not strip-mall-casual martial arts).
  • Learn at least one other language...maybe two...and study overseas.

Other than being more self serving n hanging out with more chicks. A nicer car n probably shouldn't have drank as much beer. I never did remember graduating but I guess I didn't miss anything .
I remember a girl who was wouldn't even look at me after I decided to stay out fishing instead of going on the date she asked me out on. Never would have worked out as she had no interest in hearing about how good the fishing was. Silly girls

I graduated to a much higher level of mistake making.

Our class reunions usually last four days, the 50 year lasted five. At the 40 year one guy postponed brain surgery till after the reunion and I had to be Medi-vacced to Seattle. Love our reunions.

I kinda liked the 'mad-scientist' back then.:D
You know what you get when you measure out the correct amount of powdered zinc and measure out the exact correct amount of powdered sulfur, mix them together, put them in a cardboard tube with a firecracker fuse sticking out?
You get an F in chemistry and sentenced to summer school ☹
...and a different teacher.:oops:
I still have our 12th-grade chemistry textbook with the correct procedure to prepare nitroglicerine (intentional misspelling to throw off the 'bots). The one on Wikipedia is incorrect for a really good reason.
We had fun.:p
Edit: We made silver acetylide too. Can't believe I still remembered the recipe after all these years.
Want to know how 'snap-n-pops' work? There you go! :thumbs:
My class made moonshine in chemistry class.

Hell no.
There were plenty of good times, both in high school, and later in college. And there were plenty of things I should have done differently - so maybe it would be wise to have a chance to do that (like doing a better job of valuing good friends). But knowing me, I'd be the same idiot I was then and make the same mistakes.

One thing I'd say, is that if I ever did go back, I hope that I'd be smart enough to walk away from my birth family at the first opportunity, rather than continuing the dysfunction into my 50s.

Latest posts

Back