I'm All In....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoJer

All In.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Well, Howdy Folks..

Pleased to have been invited to the 'Adults Forum' (coming over from a certain 'Romper Room Forum' that just seems heck-bent on eating itself) but Anyhoo, hope to contribute positively, herein.

'About Me', welp.. As I summed-up to Ms. Angie, there: Father of 3 / Husband of 1 :) currently working on 'transitioning' out from spending decades in the Dantes Inferno of 'Lost Angeles', to more saner pastures. Landowner (NorCal - thus: 'SoJer' - Strong supporter of the 'State of Jefferson' movement.. 'Glutton for punishment', I guess..)

..Future Homesteader, and former resident of both Upstate NY and El Salvador, Centro 'merica (long crazy story for another time 'round the campfire, but.. Lots of valuable lessons gleaned from down there - Great experience, and Si - hablo Español, todo los dias :)

..Former EMT-B (NYS) avid Flyfisherman / Hiker / Rock-climber / Surfer (before the body broke..) finish Carpenter, (did Kitchens & Baths / Remo decades ago) Illustrator / Graphic Designer, and essentially now, a Mechanical / Electronics 'Engineer' (practical / work-experience, not 'degreed') and also work with / service Medical, Industrial, and Entertainment Lasers for 20+ yrs, now.. So, yeah - hopefully I'll 'fit right in' with ya'll Crazy Cats.. ;)

..Oh, and I use too many 'Emojii's apparently.. :)

Mucho glad to be here - Looking forward to sharing / learning, in-kind.. :cool:

jd

Welcome to the forum. Sounfs like some good experience that will mesh well on here. Good group of folks on here, other than a couple shady characters like me.
What kind of lasers have you work with? What tasks were they used for.? I used to work on some YAG lasers made by Trumf. We used them for welding 2 unlike metals.

A warm welcome from Alaska!

Welcome......from the Great State of Alaska.

Good to see you, SoJer! As long as I have "known" you, I still learned a few new things about you today, lol..

"Future Homesteader" huh? Well, this be the place for that! Many of us here are quite the homesteady type and can help ease you into that world. It's hard (sometimes daunting and unforgiving) work, but well worth the trouble.

Haha... the emojis? I have long held the opinion that if keyboard characters and emojis were disabled, it would be like cutting your arms off! You would not be able to talk at all! (Perish that thought, brother.)

Welcome from the great Southern California mountains, formerly the Indian Res out this way.

We have been out of the metro area since 2012. And prices have gotten just as expensive out in the sticks as it is in the over populated mess we call L.A. County.

We are looking to get out of this state in just a few short years rather than pray it breaks up into smaller ones. Why even hope when we can't even get our gubernatorial dictator recalled!

But welcome to the forum. Be aware I carry a large hammer and am not afraid to use it.

Greetings from S.W. Oregon, hopefully part of the State of Jefferson since we have so much in common to northern Cal. I refuse to go north of Eugene unless we absolutely have to, the only reason we'd go to Eugene is it's where we got our solar backup system supplies, otherwise it's just a crazy college town that's just the doorway to the far left end of the state.

Welcome. I'm from N. AL and I guess I just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Some days stepping over obstacles that get in the way. And this is really a great 'family' to be part of. I think you'll like it here and sounds as if you're very qualified to help with ideas and how-tos.

82429E41-4E3A-4E82-9CD3-0BE4C6BD8671.jpeg

Welcome from Indiana.

Welcome from SW PA.

While consulting with a company in Jerusalem that made atomic force microscopes I took note of a warning sign on the door to the lab that read;

Warning! Do not look directly into laser with remaing good eye.

Ben

Well, Goersh... Thanks, all, for such a nice Warm Welcome.. 🤩 Yeah, this place is Really 'tranquilo' compared to that place on the 'other side of the tracks', there. ;) It 'has it's moments', but.. I'm diggin the HSF-vibe, thus far.. 👍

..A few replies to questions:

..What kind of lasers have you work with? ...I used to work on some YAG lasers ..for welding 2 unlike metals.

Very cool.. Yeah, have also worked with YAGs, both for light engraving, and in surgical-systems, and when 'doubled' into Green, for same. Fascinating how 'matching' the absorption of a particular Laser-wavelength, to the 'color' of a target (tissue / metal / plastic, etc) can yield 'ablation' (material removal thru vaporization) withOut burning.. ie:

..One Wizard of a Guy I've known / worked with since the early '90's came up with a way to 'fade Denim' with Lasers, which just 'zapped' the dyes out of it - without so much as singeing the cotton... :cool: And yeah, I hear Trumf is a solid Co... Was a pretty solid President, too.. Har har.. ;)

...I used to work with lasers and former EMT B also. I am formerly from the PRK...just a little north of Lancaster

Oh wow, 'Small World'.. :) One of my long-time Friends 'in the biz' (Entertainment and Medical-repair side) was last-from Lancaster, and was a phenom in the eye-surgery Laser repair-world.. Sadly, he was killed in an 'MVA' in Lanc, in 2018.. +_+ RIP, RG...

..more, next..
jd

Last edited:
A warm welcome from Alaska!

"Warm welcome from Alaska", Pfff, hah.. You a Funny man, John... ;) jk, Thanks..

Welcome neighbor! I just peeked at your IP address, and ...

Gaah! So much for remembering to 'turn the VPN on'.. :rolleyes: Ah, well.. I consider being on 'alphabet-lists' a Badge of Honor, anyway... Molon Labe! and all that.. But yeah - We should 'PM', and chat about 'exit strategies' / e-Comms networking and such - and go hit the Range sometime! (though, who wants to waste Any ammo right now? ;) Tty..

...Long story there.

..and I shall gladly hear it around the fire, Sir.. :cool:

Welcome, pull a stump up to the fire and have some coffee.

Thanks! Bit soggy this week, this one, but... Eh, the Company is warm, anyway... :)

Log.jpg

..to be continued..
jd

Last edited:
Good to see you, SoJer! ...Haha... emojis? I have long held the opinion that if keyboard characters and emojis were disabled, ...You would not be able to talk at all! ...

Aeeyyyyy, Dat'z Italian, Paisana! :)

Yeah...sorry guys....I felt it was time to let him in ... If you need a translator I'll give it my best shot...

Lol, yeah, but who'll be able to Understand ya with yer 'ScottVader mask' on?? :) Thx, Bro..

Welcome ...We are looking to get out of this state in just a few short years rather than pray it breaks up ///Why even hope when we can't even get our gubernatorial dictator recalled!

..Be aware I carry a large hammer and am not afraid to use it.

a) Yeah, I hear that, but.. Eh, we 'fight what Battles we Can', and certainly one way is with our Boots and Wallets, leaving.. Such a shame, though, as this State is So diverse (Ag and Landscape, I mean.. Not a 'plug for the SJW plague' :rolleyes: But, is what it is...

Eventually, the 'cancer' of AG21 / 2030/50 Will spread to all the States.. It's Almost there now! :mad: Ugh, don't get me started..

b) I believe you. :)

Greetings from S.W. Oregon, hopefully part of the State of Jefferson since we have so much in common to northern Cal. ..

Greets, Neighbor. :cool: Yeah, wish we could see it take off, but.. Unfortunately, I don't see that coming to pass without some sort of 'catastrophic Balkanization' happening First.. And, if that happens, well.. It's gonna be a Long road 'back' / up.. But, I guess that's when we all 'find out what we're Really made of', eh?

..Nonetheless.. I / We are All In. :cool:

Welcome from SW PA.... While consulting with a company in Jerusalem ... I took note of a warning sign on the door to the lab that read;

Thanks, and heh - Yep, that's a Classic.. :cool: This one was / is always My personal fave:

Klingon-Laser-Danger.jpg
:D

..Classic.

Thanks again, all! Cya out there.. :cool:
jd

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back