Im an Official Old Fart

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldn't help it ..
FB_IMG_1619491551389.jpg

I'm a firm believer in "use it or lose it".
It's too easy to sit in a recliner and do nothing.
I had my knees replaced...3 days with a cane , then 2 days on a walker , then push , push , push to keep the muscles from getting lazy.

Jim
oh btw, I exercise my main muscle , my heart
, At least 3 times a day.

Last edited:
Couldn't help it ..
View attachment 64575
I'm a firm believer in "use it or lose it".
It's too easy to sit in a recliner and do nothing.
I had my knees replaced...3 days with a cane , then 2 days on a walker , then push , push , push to keep the muscles from getting lazy.

Jim
oh btw, I exercise my main muscle , my hesrt
, At least 3 times a day.
Those are not your average seniors though,they are the exceptions to the rule. Its mind over matter sometimes too.Remember that 91 year old gymnast lady,and the 112 yr old longest living WW11 vet who ate terrible food and smoked cigars till he passed?

It was fun to watch that guy, I'll bet he was a card in his youth.

He is still a card,lol we watched lots of his videos.So is the gymnist ,except shes more action than talk.Rischard still drives around town in his pickup and loves to go to chruch and be around people.

Well, thank God that at 78, I have no need of a cane, however I have used a walking stick when I had to deal with a nasty rooster. A few years ago we bought a cane for my wife or me, it's a SHTF cane that carries a million volts to one end and if it's pushed against a bad guys chest and they go to grab it, they will have a problem. Just pushing the button will wake people up with the voltage arcing and loud snapping. We've never seen anyone else with anything like it. I had a wake up call in 2018 with a bout with congestive heart failure, after getting better in 2019 I built a frame for the eight solar panels we had, I couldn't believe how heavy the 90 pound sacks of Redimix were, it didn't seem all that many years ago I had hauled many 94 pound sacks of cement up to the top of our property to build our 1,100 gallon cistern, yeah, getting old is not for the weak willed, but even then when I look back at all that I had done, I wonder how I was able to do it all. A few?, years ago I dug an over 400 foot ditch to bury 1" schedule 40 PVC pipe up to our spring collector box and because the water table had dropped I had to lower the collector box 14 inches deeper, I had to use a come - along to drag the box out of the ground, this is a box I made many years ago out of concrete that weighed over 1,000 pounds, in looking back over those years I wonder how I was able to horse that box in place, it even got half way in the hole upside down before I got it right, I have a real hard time believing that a 170 pound weakling could do all that, but I did and it was just me, I had no help, but if I had to do all that now, I'd need all the help I could get, I am but a shadow of what I used to be and in some ways, it doesn't feel all that good, but I've come to accept it, however there are times my wife seems to thinks that I'm still able to do all the things she wants done, come on, give me a break, please!

Last edited:
Well, thank God that at 78, I have no need of a cane, however I have used a walking stick when I had to deal with a nasty rooster. A few years ago we bought a cane for my wife or me, it's a SHTF cane that carries a million volts to one end and if it's pushed against a bad guys chest and they go to grab it, they will have a problem. Just pushing the button will wake people up with the voltage arcing and loud snapping. We've never seen anyone else with anything like it. I had a wake up call in 2018 with a bout with congestive heart failure, after getting better in 2019 I built a frame for the eight solar panels we had, I couldn't believe how heavy the 90 pound sacks of Redimix were, it didn't seem all that many years ago I had hauled many 94 pound sacks of cement up to the top of our property to build our 1,100 gallon cistern, yeah, getting old is not for the weak willed, but even then when I look back at all that I had done, I wonder how I was able to do it all. A few?, years ago I dug an over 400 foot ditch to bury 1" schedule 40 PVC pipe up to our spring collector box and because the water table had dropped I had to lower the collector box 14 inches deeper, I had to use a come - along to drag the box out of the ground, this is a box I made many years ago out of concrete that weighed over 1,000 pounds, in looking back over those years I wonder how I was able to horse that box in place, it even got half way in the hole upside down before I got it right, I have a real hard time believing that a 170 pound weakling could do all that, but I did and it was just me, I had no help, but if I had to do all that now, I'd need all the help I could get, I am but a shadow of what I used to be and in some ways, it doesn't feel all that good, but I've come to accept it, however there are times my wife seems to thinks that I'm still able to do all the things she wants done, come on, give me a break, please!
Hard to have to slow down!

Canes are great for dealing with all kinds of pesky things & HIPPI let you take one anywhere.

At 48, I'm still the pup around here, I guess. But don't think I don't feel it sometimes. I beat up my body for a long time, in a lot of ways. Lower back injury, both shoulders, both ankles... The frustrating thing for me is that sometimes I feel like I'm still 28. Other days my joints sound like somebody's popping bubble wrap.
But losing some weight helped my knees a lot, they rarely hurt anymore, and weightlifting is helping my back a little bit.

Somebody mentioned how things like scooters have actually been detrimental to people. I've seen that with my mother. She has had various physical problems since her mid 30s and she never did anything to strengthen her body. Now her lower body has given out and she's giving up. She needs a lift chair to stand up. She will need assisted living or a nursing home soon and it could've been avoided or at least postponed longer if she had taken time to strengthen her hips and posterior chain muscles when she was younger. I'm not going to repeat her mistakes. I plan to still be lifting weights when I'm 70. Not to look like a movie star, but to avoid moving like a cripple...

I know couple guys in their 70s that are still running up hills with fire arms ...running and gunning with their adult grandsons.
Where there is a will, there is a way.

Last edited:
My moment came about 10 years ago. I was still young in my mind, early 50's. I got trampled by a bull while loading cattle. I didn't need a crutch, my doc insisted I use a cane... for 6 long months, and occasionally in the years since.

I was only mildly annoyed by using a cane. For many years I traveled for work seeing 100's of strangers daily... Frankly, I reached a point where I never really gave a thought to what strangers think of me, wasn't important except once.

I grew my first beard at age 30. I'm blond but my beard was completely gray. The first time a woman about 40 held a door open for me I went home and shaved it off! ;) I looked 60, haven't grown one since.
Don’t feel too bad. I’m 23 and going bald. It’s why I wear a hat everywhere.

Have any of you joined a ROMEO group? Don't worry ladies. Those days are long behind us.

Retired
Old
Men
Eating
Out

All good friends of over forty years. We get together the third Monday every month, mostly talk sports and solve all the world's problems. It hasn't gotten into a dueling ailment session, but there is plenty of talk about current health issues. We knew we were getting old when we left the bar in the middle of a hockey game to go get ice cream. :dunno:

Oh Blah Dee Oh Blah Dah life goes on Brah. La La How Their Life Goes On.

Have any of you joined a ROMEO group? Don't worry ladies. Those days are long behind us.

Retired
Old
Men
Eating
Out

All good friends of over forty years. We get together the third Monday every month, mostly talk sports and solve all the world's problems. It hasn't gotten into a dueling ailment session, but there is plenty of talk about current health issues. We knew we were getting old when we left the bar in the middle of a hockey game to go get ice cream. :dunno:

Oh Blah Dee Oh Blah Dah life goes on Brah. La La How Their Life Goes On.
Thanks for telling us gals not to worry😁

No, I haven't gotten old enough for that kind of exercise yet. I would rather talk with interesting people who still wonder about life, men and women.

We do eat out with other retired couples, but not with a group of just men.

I may be a dog but I'm a good old dog! ;)
My wife says I'm cute... I think that's a compliment because it was followed by "handsome". (and she's not tied up!) :)

Back