I'm an "oldie"...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamo

Super Friend
Neighbor
...at least in our children's eyes.
DH and I (and 2 young sons) moved into our off-grid barely under roof cabin the first week of November, 1991. With very little cash, no tractor, and only an old pickup truck, we are eternally grateful to Bob the mule for staging the Jack Pine for our home. He was incredible, but I would have to hold his head as the chain was rattled and then he was off! He could practically do it without my husband. I peeled a lot of logs.
Natural gas storage fields are common here and that makes life fairly easy since we can use it for cold storage, hot water and heat.
An uncle gave us a 1940's natural gas Servel frig that had been in his basement for a very long time. We were in heaven! A few years ago, after increasing the PV array system for a second time, we updated to an EZ Freeze, but I do miss the kerplunk of the old Servel door.
We were both raised on traditional cow/calf hill farms within a few miles and began collecting Scottish Highland cattle 15 years ago, and Shetland sheep more recently. Both are amazingly hardy, but the coyotes and black buzzards have been a difficult enemy of newborn calves.
We are HS sweethearts and both USMC veterans. One day back in 2006, we said "NO" and a collective evil descended upon us with a vengeance and changed our lives forever. The good thing is that we survived it and are fortunate not to be 6ft under because of it. Emerging, but recovery is not yet within sight.

A warm welcome from Alaska!

A bit cryptic.
Cops were hired by a private company in 2009 to oppress our First Amendment rights out here in rural Ohio (after we said NO to the private company in 2006), one of them decided to go rogue, then lied about what happened to protect himself. He was already a convicted killer, just off of his 5 year non-reporting probation. There was NO investigation. We said publicly we were going to sue for what he had done, so the sheriff and prosecutor came after us with all the power of the state to avert our federal lawsuit for his actions and lies. Turns out they were already embroiled in one with other deputies and the dog warden when they prevented a terminally ill elderly man from moving to the shed and took his cane from him. Out of 5 charges they went for the big one, ASSAULT, claiming I assaulted the lying deputy in our driveway nearly 400' from the township road, so of course, he had to pepper-spray me. That NEVER happened. Uncryptic enough?

Hello and welcome from S.W. Oregon, about a half mile east of us the farm has Scottish Highland cattle, I read years ago that they were very hardy against poor weather conditions and diseases. We have to keep watch on livestock around here due to so many cougars that are up and down our valley, one time I was talking to a friend that lived about a 1/4 mile west of us and while we were talking you could hear a cougar yipping, either for youngsters or a mate, it sounds weird, almost like a bird calling.

It still sounds like your story and you're telling it.
What do you want us to do with it?
Amish Heart stated I should make an introduction. I have.
Weedygarden stated that a part of my introduction was "a bit cryptic". I responded with additional information.
Did I ask anyone to "do" anything "with" it?

Hello and welcome from S.W. Oregon, about a half mile east of us the farm has Scottish Highland cattle, I read years ago that they were very hardy against poor weather conditions and diseases. We have to keep watch on livestock around here due to so many cougars that are up and down our valley, one time I was talking to a friend that lived about a 1/4 mile west of us and while we were talking you could hear a cougar yipping, either for youngsters or a mate, it sounds weird, almost like a bird calling.
Thank you and nice to cyber meet you. We love them, and when we brought 2 cows in very close to the house in the fall setup in the garden patch so the dog could circle for coyotes, my husband went out before 10 a.m. to find one had calved and black buzzards were on it. He doesn't know if they killed it or it was stillborn, but learned they do and were stunned. That was our first experience in 2 years of their presence and their flocks (not sure that's what they're called) keeping growing in numbers. Only bobcats in our county, but haven't seen one in this area. I prefer domesticated kitties to wild cats.

Thank you and nice to cyber meet you. We love them, and when we brought 2 cows in very close to the house in the fall setup in the garden patch so the dog could circle for coyotes, my husband went out before 10 a.m. to find one had calved and black buzzards were on it. He doesn't know if they killed it or it was stillborn, but learned they do and were stunned. That was our first experience in 2 years of their presence and their flocks (not sure that's what they're called) keeping growing in numbers. Only bobcats in our county, but haven't seen one in this area. I prefer domesticated kitties to wild cats.

I don't know what your black buzzards are but ravens will kill newborn calves, lambs, kids and piglets if momma isn't keeping guard.

Cops were hired by a private company in 2009 to oppress our First Amendment rights out here in rural Ohio (after we said NO to the private company in 2006), one of them decided to go rogue, then lied about what happened to protect himself. He was already a convicted killer, just off of his 5 year non-reporting probation. There was NO investigation. We said publicly we were going to sue for what he had done, so the sheriff and prosecutor came after us with all the power of the state to avert our federal lawsuit for his actions and lies. Turns out they were already embroiled in one with other deputies and the dog warden when they prevented a terminally ill elderly man from moving to the shed and took his cane from him. Out of 5 charges they went for the big one, ASSAULT, claiming I assaulted the lying deputy in our driveway nearly 400' from the township road, so of course, he had to pepper-spray me. That NEVER happened. Uncryptic enough?
Would you care to provide more details? Location, articles, etc? Lived in Ohio 50+ years, but I can't recall seeing anything. I only really track 3 counties or so, if it wasn't local I would't know what happened.

my husband went out before 10 a.m. to find one had calved and black buzzards were on it. He doesn't know if they killed it or it was stillborn, but learned they do and were stunned.

I had something very similar happen with buzzards about 8-10 years ago... as in your case, I too suspected something was wrong with the calf or cow immediately after birth. An unresolved puzzle... I sold the cow next trip to the sale barn anyway.

A healthy cow and calf, I've never had an issue with buzzards again until last year. This time I was able to run the buzzards away... also this cow had lots of attitude and was healthy. I don't think the calf would have been harmed but she was too stressed out to let him nurse. I slowly moved them back to the herd anyway, safety in numbers.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/newborn’s.1034/#post-231299

Welcome! Terrible about the buzzards, I have read about this. Grandson had coyotes kill a calf while being born, the mama had to be put down too, they say that donkeys are good for helping with coyotes. Take care !

I don't know what your black buzzards are but ravens will kill newborn calves, lambs, kids and piglets if momma isn't keeping guard.
Are ravens what was in "THE BIRDS" movie?

The black buzzards have been in the neighboring flatland county for quite a few years, but only more recently have made a large presence here in the hills. They're protected, so their only natural enemies would be for their eggs.
Black vulture kills increasing in Ohio - Farm and Dairy

Last edited:
Welcome! Terrible about the buzzards, I have read about this. Grandson had coyotes kill a calf while being born, the mama had to be put down too, they say that donkeys are good for helping with coyotes. Take care !
Our mini donkey who we put in with goats is too much of a pet to be a protector I think. Young weaned goats have disappeared from that small field. The coyotes can go anywhere, so the steep rocks that border it are no deterrent. We tried a LGD for them but he was already an adult and decided to head off for somewhere...we think his old home. We retrieved him 3 times from miles away and he finally found a new home.

I had something very similar happen with buzzards about 8-10 years ago... as in your case, I too suspected something was wrong with the calf or cow immediately after birth. An unresolved puzzle... I sold the cow next trip to the sale barn anyway.

A healthy cow and calf, I've never had an issue with buzzards again until last year. This time I was able to run the buzzards away... also this cow had lots of attitude and was healthy. I don't think the calf would have been harmed but she was too stressed out to let him nurse. I slowly moved them back to the herd anyway, safety in numbers.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/newborn’s.1034/#post-231299
DH got eerily close before they took off.

Last edited:
Would you care to provide more details? Location, articles, etc? Lived in Ohio 50+ years, but I can't recall seeing anything. I only really track 3 counties or so, if it wasn't local I would't know what happened.
You probably wouldn't have heard about the corrupt cop in the news, because of his frame and coverup, but maybe someday if justice is served. The original civil issue was, even covered by the Dispatch and NPR. That's how it all started, then when AEP additionally bullied their way onto the township road right-of-way without authority and the jury verdict was a precedent setting amount for an eminent domain case of 1500' of rural road frontage. AEP was livid. All we had told them was they would have to bury the line for us to agree to an easement, but nope, no one was going to tell them no. Their engineer was marking out one day and told DH that they could've easily buried the line, but that they intended to make an "example" out of us. We actually "peacefully protested" their unlawful acts a few days after they began cutting our trees down for working on the road -- without a permit to work in the road or to ultimately construct an electric line that crossed the township road back and forth 3 times. A trustee and county engineer requested a meeting with their legal counsel, the prosecutor, but she did nothing. No doubt she was threatened by AEP's attorney just like we had been. After the first 2 days of protests, they returned with hired state actors via the sheriff himself. "That's why we were hired, because she was yelling" testified the deputy who had brutally assaulted us on his first day employed by AEP. So, he essentially admitted they were hired to oppress our free speech. We were both at work all day and ate out so that we wouldn't arrive home until after 5 p.m., but there they were again blocking the road and our driveway (and without a road work permit). Neither of us got out of our pickup idling and waiting for the trucks to be moved. The perjury was incredible, both from the deputy and the AEP employee. The contractor employees actually told the truth and their foreman said it took 3-5 minutes for them to clear the road. The AEP employee swore his unoccupied truck was never blocking the road, that he never moved it, and that DH just drove around him. Parking a truck blocking a road is a crime. The deputy told the truth about the trucks blocking the road and being moved, testifying before the AEP employee, but then changed his story during his subsequent testimony. It should have been over right then and there, defense lawyers proved both of his stories couldn't be true about that, that he was a liar. It's actually a duty of the state, but the truth has never mattered, only damage control. We weren't assaulted anywhere near the road. After they moved their trucks and DH drove on through and home, we got out of our pickup and the deputy was coming down our driveway. Hocking County is the location, you should be able to find articles if you're able to view them. The criminal case court opinions will all be slanted to whatever they want to print. They rarely write what the actual pleadings stated, because their decision is pre-determined so they write towards that. They rarely follow the law when it favors a defendant. I do have an OSC mandamus/prohibition action direct appeal pending 2021-0234 on one single issue if you like that sort of reading. My merit brief gives some info on the lying deputy but I needed to stay on point of an unlawful sentence. If you can read the original "criminal" article in the LDN, you'll see that DH was never even mentioned. The deputy pepper-sprayed him twice and he wasn't charged with non-existent arrestable acts/crimes until the following week, yet he was never arrested. We had filed a federal civil rights case after the first trial against me (mistrial) and then they were really out to put me in my "place" to avert us from prevailing on our case. While they had me unlawfully imprisoned (no attorney while being sentenced for a felony crime is unlawful), they fabricated another felony against me, "vandalism", to make sure I didn't get out in time to keep the federal case alive. I was in an awful place. I was attacked by a gang of deputies while imprisoned and witnessed worse towards a mentally incompetent black woman that was refused her medication. She was pending arraignment on petty theft. The horrors I witnessed compelled me to insist that DH forward a complaint directly to the US district attorney. I was targeted even more after they found that out and we expected it, but at least she was finally free from them when the mental health facility rescued her the following day. One evening I was on the phone for just under 3 hours with DH and only at the beginning and end of the conversation did a deputy ever come into that tank. There was no way for us to communicate if of of us was in distress and there were no cameras watching any part of the "tank" where I was locked up 23/7 in "protective custody" (because my brother was a LEO in that city). I was moved to that prison from the one I was ordered to, and there was no order to move me, but the sheriff also unlawfully arranged that. He and his deputies had plenty of influence over the warden prison, but clearly more so over the Franklin Co prison. The court system could care less for the most part, what a "criminal" has to say, no matter how much evidence there is, the corruption and protecting other state actors is incredible.

ETA: 307.42, 307.43, 307.99 and 311.29 make it unlawful for a sheriff to contract out his deputies or cruisers to a private corporation for unofficial business. Who's watching the sheriff?

ETA: photo taken by LDN reporter for her story, there were trucks nearby on the single lane road and she had to turn around

Sorry so long, but I don't see a private message feature.

Attachments

• ldn pic aep working in road no permit.jpg
    ldn pic aep working in road no permit.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Welcome to here, Mamo. Here's hoping that things get better for you and your DH... Crooked people eventually get what is coming to them... (the sooner the better, right?).

Welcome to here, Mamo. Here's hoping that things get better for you and your DH... Crooked people eventually get what is coming to them... (the sooner the better, right?).
Thank you! 3 of the deputies who were involved in some way have already been rid from our county after being caught for other bad deeds since what happened to us (when what was going on with two got enough attention and the sheriff had already tried to protect one previously), but unfortunately they walked away with "valid" LEO certificates.

A new local newspaper editor showed up last year and he wrote that he was interested in investigative journalism and there's hope now. The February article seems to have an awful lot of questions about the most recent upheaval and folks were upset to have no real answers and wanting to know what the sheriff was covering up...but by the end of April, we finally had some. I haven't seen the actual files, but the April article says a lot. (pdfs of articles of interest in small town USA) ETA: this was the first known ever "outside investigation" done in regard to sheriff deputies that anyone around here has every heard of.
ETA: I found one of the articles on the deputy who filed charges against me and DH in 2009 (and who we believe assisted the younger deputy who attacked us with his fabricated story), yet the sheriff still refused to do any actual investigation regarding the insane accusations his deputy made against us. When deputies like this are in charge of the show and the prosecutor is only concerned with the county/employee getting sued, a prosecutor who is essentially an outsider and knows nothing about the 2 accused people who've lived peaceably in the county their entire lives...she's not going to make sure there is any kind of investigation of what actually happened. And former deputy Groves after he resigned was charged with OHLEG violations and welfare fraud (along with his wife) and he got a deal and yep, got to keep his LEO certificate. When we were younger we heard people complaining about the good old boys club, but knew nothing first-hand. Now we do, but who listens to the "found guilty criminals" who were framed for "crimes" that never happened to "save" the rogue deputy. I'm not sure heaven is going to be all that crowded.

Attachments

• Sheriff’s officers who were under investigation both leave their jobs _ News _ logandaily.com.pdf
    102.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Records show officers accused of improperly sharing info from medical files _ News _ logandail...pdf
    322.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Groves demoted prior to leaving HCSO _ News _ logandaily.com.pdf
    253.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Back