I'm Doing Pretty Good, But!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viking

I know a lot of things, but master very few
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I had a visit with my cardiologist two days ago and he said I was doing better, however, due to my heart efficiency not getting above 35% he told me that I should have an automatic defibrillator put in me. Of course while I'm hearing him talk about it, I'm thinking, well I'm coming up on 77 years on this planet and do I really need to extend my time and just accept that a fibrillation event could cause my life to end or should I hang on and be around a number of years more? Good question, but I think there are more things I can do, like helping family and friends, I feel that at my age I can be a teacher of some of the things I've done over the years and as well I have to take care of all the things my dear wife comes up with to do. Truth is, I'm not finished with our home and she wouldn't be happy if I didn't get the trim around a door done as well as the trim around the counter backsplash and making sure there is plenty of firewood on hand for this winter and winters to come. Getting old is certainly not for weak willed people as far as I can understand.

77's not old!! My grandparents were mowing the neighbors lawns until their 90's. Just because they couldn't stand to be "lazy". I think it was really because my grandpa was a bit ocd about lawn heights. He couldn't stand seeing an overgrown lawn or even worse, a scalped lawn.

Last edited:
Viking, my injection fraction (heart efficiency) was 20% 3 weeks ago when I had an Echo Cardiogram.
It's been that low for 4 years, and I was told without a Defib , when my heart stops, 95% chance I will die.
With a Defib chances of survival are 95%. I also am in that 7th decade.

I don't want my wife to be here alone without me.

Go get it put in , you would be amazed how many people are walking around with one. In 4 years mine never been activated as a Defib , but has maintained my my heart rate a couple times.
They monitor it and can tell you everything your heart has done.
I just had big surgery 6 weeks ago, knee replaced, doubt they would done it without the device.

It's a piece of cake .

Jim

I have an extra pair of jumper cables that you can have...

All joking aside, I have afib also. Working to get the excess water off so they can do a cardio inversion.

Although I am not ready to go just yet, I am not going to sit around in a diaper drooling either.

Pace maker is not a bad thing though. If you can spend the next 10-20 years imparting your knowledge to the younger generation the world will be a better place.

Maybe they have gotten to the point where they outfit you with a USB port to recharge yourself like a cell phone. Maybe you can get the Samsung wireless charging option...lol

At the end of the day, it is a personal choice everyone has to make.

If I make it to 77 and my health is OK I would have one installed.
Like cnsper said I don't want to sit and drool wearing a diaper but I also want as much quaility time as I can. You only get one life so make the most of it.
Here is another take on it.
Not my joke

A storm descends on a small town, and the downpour soon turns into a flood. As the waters rise, the local preacher kneels in prayer on the church porch, surrounded by water. By and by, one of the townsfolk comes up the street in a canoe.

"Better get in, Preacher. The waters are rising fast."

"No," says the preacher. "I have faith in the Lord. He will save me."

Still the waters rise. Now the preacher is up on the balcony, wringing his hands in supplication, when another guy zips up in a motorboat.

"Come on, Preacher. We need to get you out of here. The levee's gonna break any minute."

Once again, the preacher is unmoved. "I shall remain. The Lord will see me through."

After a while the levee breaks, and the flood rushes over the church until only the steeple remains above water. The preacher is up there, clinging to the cross, when a helicopter descends out of the clouds, and a state trooper calls down to him through a megaphone.

"Grab the ladder, Preacher. This is your last chance."

Once again, the preacher insists the Lord will deliver him.

And, predictably, he drowns.

A pious man, the preacher goes to heaven. After a while he gets an interview with God, and he asks the Almighty, "Lord, I had unwavering faith in you. Why didn't you deliver me from that flood?"

God shakes his head. "What did you want from me? I sent you two boats and a helicopter."

Would a pace maker be your first boat?

Thank you all for the good words and humor, believe it or not I really don't feel 77, I have to try hard not to be too obvious to my wife when looking at young pretty women, truth is that my wife knows that I like women but she also knows I'm true to her.

Some yeas back a rather buxom young lass caught my eye which was noticed by my wife. "Gary would like that," was my immediate response. Gary was a close friend. Getting her to laugh is always the fastest way out of trouble. "Would Gary like that?" has been a joke of hers ever since.

Was married to the same great , wonderful,awesome woman for 53 years , this past Tuesday.
Can't even imagine another.

That's not to say , I don't still get excited when I see a beautiful 60s ......

Muscle car.

Or a beautiful 45
Caliber semi auto Colt.

Or perfectly carved 20 something year old lady.

Just excited .....that's it.

May purchase 2 of the 3.
Figure it out.:);):D

Jim

When we were dating and it was becoming very serious, my now wife sent me a very nice hand made card that said "I only have eyes for you! I hope you only have eyes for me." and then at the bottom it said "Matthews 18:9" and had a big smiley face.

I had to look it up:

"And if your eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It’s better to enter eternal life with only one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell."

Message received.

When we were dating and it was becoming very serious, my now wife sent me a very nice hand made card that said "I only have eyes for you! I hope you only have eyes for me." and then at the bottom it said "Matthews 18:9" and had a big smiley face.

I had to look it up:

"And if your eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It’s better to enter eternal life with only one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell."

Message received.
I remember a science fiction movie from the 50's that used that scripture, it was back in the days of the original Fly movie.

Latest posts

Back