I'm new

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLC

Logging
Neighbor
Actually I'm old. Living the good life in NH on 161 acres complete with miles of trails, ponds, streams, waterfall, orchard, berry patch, garden, timber, deer, moose, bears, coyotes, trout. Eventually I need to turn the property over to a like-minded couple. Not sure how to do that. Just getting too hard to maintain it all.

Attachments

• WaterFall 2023 storm.mp4
    21.4 MB
  • pond08 030.jpg
    pond08 030.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
Welcome from Oregon. Very nice, we are 60 and I get the too much work part. There are several young couples here that have expressed a willingness to help and learn in such a scenario. I hope you find each other here.

Welcome from Bama... in the same boat as you. Got out of the cattle business in '18. Gave a young family member a chance to run the farm, disaster. Now a much older cousin is running beef here, things are going much better, at least it looks like a farm again.

About that, something to look into... Through my state university system, there are programs that place young college grads (agriculture) with farms that need management. Lots of variables and red tape but still has my interest. Your state might have a similar program, several southern states do. It's a way of keeping farmland as a producing farm when old farmers retire... instead of being lost to some real estate guy who'll chop up a farm into little pieces and sell it off.

My state also has a conservancy program (because of farmland being lost). With my permission the state will designate my land as a farm. Even after I'm gone it can never be sold as anything except as an intact farm. The land can't be chopped up into pieces.

Welcome from Eastern Missouri. Beautiful place you have. Good to have you with us. :welcome:

Last edited:
Hello and welcome from S.W. Oregon, yeah getting older does have some issues, October I'll be 81 and gravity is now one of those issues, wife and I are living on just over 2 acres, that doesn't sound like much but when the spring tsunami comes, that is getting the weeds cut before fire season, I now need a lot of help to get things done, thankfully my son and his girlfriend now live on our property and he's done a ton of weed eating for me and I have a close friend that lives just a 1/4 mile down the road that also helps.

Last edited:
Welcome from Bama... in the same boat as you. Got out of the cattle business in '18. Gave a young family member a chance to run the farm, disaster. Now a much older cousin is running beef here, things are going much better, at least it looks like a farm again.

About that, something to look into... Through my state university system, there are programs that place young college grads (agriculture) with farms that need management. Lots of variables and red tape but still has my interest. Your state might have a similar program, several southern states do. It's a way of keeping farmland as a producing farm when old farmers retire... instead of being lost to some real estate guy who'll chop up a farm into little pieces and sell it off.

My state also has a conservancy program (because of farmland being lost). With my permission the state will designate my land as a farm. Even after I'm gone it can never be sold as anything except as an intact farm. The land can't be chopped up into pieces.
My dad did that! it really increases value over the years so keep your eye on the damned tax assessor.

Welcome from Alaska!

Latest posts

Back