I'm surprised!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old tex

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Yes I am surprised because I never thought that I'd be posting here about home construction. Here goes though. There's a pipe on our roof that the cap that covers it keeps getting damaged. I call my roofer, he comes and replaces it (free btw). This time he came over & I asked him about extending the roof over my side door.
Picture a horseshoe area, one sides is our side door, the other side is the door to our garage & between is a rock wall (our house is rock). He looked at the area, thought for a moment & said "simple". How far do you want the roof to extend out past the corner of the house? We picked about 6 feet & he asked when do you want it done. That was Monday & he said I'm semi retired so I can do it anytime, how about Thursday. He showed up yesterday (Wednesday) because he forgot that he never works on Friday & the job will take 2 days. Today is finish day & then we will have a covered area to sit under. Price? We didn't ask because we know this guy & have total faith in him. My wife & I have been guessing & have come up between $600 to $1,100. I'll post the cost later today when I find out.

Last edited:
Ok, the work is done & my roofer packed up & headed out. It was a LOT more expensive than I thought it would be. Starting off with the cost of the materials which was $1,400. In fairness he was telling me how how much materials had gone up & gave the example that he paid $15 for something & 3 days later it was $21. Also I was thinking something small & simple. When he finished it looked like it had always been with the house & it was twice the size I imagined.. Anyway, total cost was $2900 & I thought the high cost would be $1,600. Oh well, the wife has already said that she loves it & we should have done it sooner. Bummer on the cost thought.

Back