Im Tincturing My Butt Off...........

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
ive enjoyed making differetnt types of herbal remedies over the years, im no expert but i have my favorites, whether salves, oil, teas or tinctures.

in light of the seemingly negative economic implications lately, prices rising and shortages, i ve been tincturing my butt off..

elderberry tincture
spaz-ez tincture
skullcap tincture
pine needle tincture
cannabis tincture
migraine relief tincture
essiac tea tincture
st johns & kava kava
toothache plant tincture

do you guys have any favorites you use and are stocking up on before we cant afford to make it anymore?

The only tincture that I have used (to the best of my recollection) is tincture of Benzoin. It works very well to keep bandaids stuck to places they tend to fall off from. Like on a fingertip cut. Stains your skin brownish/yellowish though. I have no idea how to make it though - I just buy it at the pharmacy.

The only tincture that I have used (to the best of my recollection) is tincture of Benzoin. It works very well to keep bandaids stuck to places they tend to fall off from. Like on a fingertip cut. Stains your skin brownish/yellowish though. I have no idea how to make it though - I just buy it at the pharmacy.
The only tincture I ever used was this one:
018.011.007p1.jpg

I don't think you can make it unless you can get your hands on some iodine crystals, (which I actually had at one time decades ago:oops:).

Last edited:
I make elderberry bloom tincture, what part do you use? Lets see... elder, monarda, yarrow, sida, poke root, yellow root, usnea, catnip, lemonbalm, plantain, joe pye, boneset, crossvine, those are the plants folks might recognize. I also dry various plants.

For me fresh herbs are best, next would be tincture. I don't really make salves or lotions, unless you count the sticky paste I made to get yarrow to stick to my dogs ear. I use several plants to help pets or livestock when needed.

what wonderful ideas, thank you!

it seems to me people have their favorite recipes for certain situations. i like elderberry tincture--i use the berries as it does not grow in my location, so i do the best i can with what i can get. .

i also like different blends.

nothing wrong with sticky paste, lol

Yarrow
Poke root (thanks to a dear friend)
Licorice root
Goldenseal root
Echinacea root (need to grow some echinacea angustfolia!)
Lobelia
Lemon balm
a variety of Monardas (Bee Balm, etc.)
Passionflower herb
Honeysuckle flowers
Elder flowers
Wild Cherry bark
Dan shen (Salvia miltiorrhiza)
Skullcap, Chinese
Skullcap, American
Goldenrod
Cleavers
Prickly ash bark
Black Walnut (green hulls)
Forsythia fruit pods
Cistus incanus leaf
Isatis leaf
Isatis root
Rose petals
Mimosa flowers
Need to do more, but I am running out of jars (and vodka)! For years, I am sure that the folks at the liquor stores must think I am the world's worst alkie or party animal.

Some items that are plentiful and easy to replenish yearly, such as cleavers, goldenrod, rose petals, etc., I sometimes tincture in straight organic raw apple cider vinegar. And some herbs I make oxymels with (half raw honey and half organic raw apple cider vinegar).

Now that I am really, really wanting to tincture Mullein ROOT for backpain medicine for a friend, I can't find any mullein nearby in the second year of growth right now (I like to harvest this root in the early summer) Where did they all go, lol. Oh well, this fall I will be looking to harvest any mullein that I can find in their first year of growth, then. Those are the stages and times when mullein is devoted to developing their root system (in their first year, or close to it).

@Grizzleyette___Adams is skull cap hard to grow? I know were a few tiny patches grow but my county has started using chemicals to kill weeds on the shoulder of roads. I don't harvest beside paved roads but do harvest from little used gravel roads but only when natural water flow (rain) goes from the plants towards the road. Many times the shoulder of a road is higher than the road (embankments etc).

Anyway, I need to start growing skullcap, lobelia and a few more.

Mimosa blooms? details please? I keep a little dried mimosa bark but haven't heard of blooms being used.

@jazzy, what do you use essiac tea and pine needle tea tincture for?

@grizzy what do you use goldenrod, rose petals, lemon balm tinctures for?

i want to go out and get some blackberry root for diarrhea and Echinacea root for immune

hi lilmissy,
oh, i forgot the blackberry leaf tincture-----i use the leaf instead of the root and it is excellent for diarrhea.i think i made a lifetime supply last year, lol

i use the essiac tincture cause i had breast cancer, so i like to keep it around in case the cancer comes back, good for immune system. i tinctured it up so it will keep longer.

the pine needle tincture is for the spike protein treatment, i thought id start making some up, i plan on doing a double or triple strength, sort of a concentrate, still looking in to it. some people prefer to make tea.

grizzlette, i know what you mean about the vodka, i was buying a case every month to make and stock up on my tinctures, must have looked like a real lush, lol, especially when buying other stuff too.

theres alot of great ideas here, thanks so much, im going to look in to a few new things to make guess i got to go back to the liquor store again..

peanut--i used to make a lomatrium tincuture for antiviral that i thought worked great for me.

GOLDENROD

Much of what we know about goldenrod’s medicinal uses comes from Native American peoples, who traditionally use various goldenrod species for a number of ailments, both topically and internally. Goldenrod is an important dermatological aid for sores, infections, toothache, burns, and wounds. Internally, it is used for a number of urinary, respiratory, and digestive ailments.

Much more info here:
https://chestnutherbs.com/goldenrod/https://theherbalacademy.com/health-benefits-of-goldenrod/
You can also look up Lemon Balm at those sites as well.

ROSE PETAL VINEGAR

Rose petal vinegar is awesome for culinary and medicinal use! Makes a wonderful table vinegar. I also enjoy a cool refreshing drink made with a teaspoon each of rose petal vinegar and honey, stirred into a cold glass of water. Also good for itchy skin, bug bites, adding to hair rinse, and more.

https://thenerdyfarmwife.com/rose-petal-vinegar-its-many-uses/

the pine needle tincture is for the spike protein treatment, i thought id start making some up, i plan on doing a double or triple strength, sort of a concentrate, still looking in to it. some people prefer to make tea.

grizzlette, i know what you mean about the vodka

a lomatrium tincuture for antiviral that i thought worked great for me.

I'm familiar with pine needle tea and pine pollen is almost pure testosterone.

More details on pine needle tincture please! when to harvest, volume tincture? Any links on pine needles and spike proteins? I'd like to read about how it works...

I had a lady refuse to sell vodka to me once... she thought I was on a 3 day drunk. I had bought a 1/2 gallon from her and used it up on tinctures that evening. The next day I was back in town for an unplanned errand. I thought I'd get another 1/2 gallon while there and some Ever-clear. I have CFS and always look like "death warmed over", some days worse than others. She actually said to me... "I remember you from yesterday!" "You're obviously still drinking this morning!" When I tried to explain she said "if you don't leave I'm calling the cops!" If I'd had the time to argue the point I'd have stayed and let cops prove I wasn't drunk. But learned long ago you can't argue with stupid people (but it is fun sometimes).

Last year, given the current state of affairs, I started making tinctures from every antiviral growing in my area. I have more than a dozen great ones growing wild here that are easy to harvest.

I harvest goldenrod also... a wonderful ancient medicine that's overlooked these days. It grows everywhere, even readily available to people in towns. I didn't get to it last summer but it's on my list for next month. I'm down to about 2oz left from '17. I'll make about 2 quarts, plenty for the next 10 or 12 years.

Last edited:
@Grizzleyette___Adams is skull cap hard to grow? I know were a few tiny patches grow but my county has started using chemicals to kill weeds on the shoulder of roads. I don't harvest beside paved roads but do harvest from little used gravel roads but only when natural water flow (rain) goes from the plants towards the road. Many times the shoulder of a road is higher than the road (embankments etc).

Anyway, I need to start growing skullcap, lobelia and a few more.

Mimosa blooms? details please? I keep a little dried mimosa bark but haven't heard of blooms being used.

Mimosa flowers!!!!!! It's a new-to-me herbal. I have several jars of Mimosa oxymel going right now. I wish I had more. It is a nice mild sedative and "attitude adjustment" type thing. It is supposedly good for calming anger. (We'll see about that!)

http://www.reclaimingyourroots.com/cultivating-happiness-with-mimosahttps://planetherbs.com/research-center/specific-herbs-articles/albizia-the-tree-of-happiness/
Skullcap: I hope to be growing both the American species and the Chinse species soon, so I can't speak from experience if they are easy to grow.

In fact, I am hoping to include a lot of Chinese herbs in my gardens next year. I like to naturalize my herbs in wild settings rather than in a traditional garden.

@jazzy @Peanut

I finally wised up and branched out in my booze-for-tinctures shopping. I get gallons at a time, So I shop in different stores. (I have been known to wipe out stocks of Everclear.)

I like to naturalize my herbs in wild settings rather than in a traditional garden.

That's my experience also, wild herbs are far better as medicines than domesticated plants. They are, but stronger isn't the right word... they are more complete as medicines... better describes my experience.

Still, some plants are simply more convenient to grow myself. I do try to leave them semi-wild, scattered about the woods and fields here on the farm.

@jazzy,
i want to go out and get some blackberry root for diarrhea and Echinacea root for immune.

For immune support I posted about adaptogens here...
Crossvine

There are a lot of great adaptogens to choose from and they do wonders for our immune and endocrine systems.

I'm familiar with pine needle tea and pine pollen is almost pure testosterone.

More details on pine needle tincture please! when to harvest, volume tincture? Any links on pine needles and spike proteins? I'd like to read about how it works...

I had a lady refuse to sell vodka to me once... she thought I was on a 3 day drunk. I had bought a 1/2 gallon from her and used it up on tinctures that evening. The next day I was back in town for an unplanned errand. I thought I'd get another 1/2 gallon while there and some Ever-clear. I have CFS and always look like "death warmed over", some days worse than others. She actually said to me... "I remember you from yesterday!" "You're obviously still drinking this morning!" When I tried to explain she said "if you don't leave I'm calling the cops!" If I'd had the time to argue the point I'd have stayed and let cops prove I wasn't drunk. But learned long ago you can't argue with stupid people (but it is fun sometimes).

Last year, given the current state of affairs, I started making tinctures from every antiviral growing in my area. I have more than a dozen great ones growing wild here that are easy to harvest.

I harvest goldenrod also... a wonderful ancient medicine that's overlooked these days. It grows everywhere, even readily available to people in towns. I didn't get to it last summer but it's on my list for next month. I'm down to about 2oz left from '17. I'll make about 2 quarts, plenty for the next 10 or 12 years.

PINE NEEDLE TEA OR TINCTURE
for spike protein
i know its got alot of vit C but there is much info on suramin that inhibits replication of spike proteins in the body. its found in several things, including pine needles. ill add a link below, mike adams has a good explanation and links to others. ive heard many docotrs talking aobut it and how it works, dr tenpenny, menavich, ruby and so many more and ive read there are some labs studying it to try to find a way to protect people from spike protein damage whether vaxed or picked up via shedding. its mostly used as a tea but some prefer a tincture.

some pine needles are better or safer than others--here is list of safe pine trees ive found
spruce, white pine,, noble fir, douglas fir,

No yew, lodgepole, ponderosa juniper is what ive read are not that safe and to avoid.

i take the newer needles from ends of branches here and there, pick off the brown stub ends, wash then cut. i just make a standard tincture, put in gallon jar, cover with vodka to an inch over the level of the herb, cover and set for 30 days, checking it every few days to stir.

ive read to drink 2-3 cups of pine needle tea a day for protection, but ive not seen a dose for the tincture as yet

im tempted to make a star anise tincture to blend with the pine needle as it is alos strong in suramin---sigh---guess i best just get another case of vodka.

im still learnig on this but its a start

https://www.naturalnews.com/2021-05...d-vaccine-shedding-suramin-shikimic-acid.html

https://ambassadorlove.wordpress.co...ible-antidote-for-spike-protein-transmission/

@jazzy
I read the links you posted... and laughed out loud when I read suramin is the pharmaceutical name for shikimic acid.

Sweet Gum (Liquidambar styraciflua) contains a larger percentage of shikimic acid than pine needles.. and in the eastern US far more available to the average person.

don't remember the exact numbers... Along about ''05-'07 there was a severe drought in china. The chinese company that harvests star anise to make the tami-flu base had no star anise to harvest.

They bought a sweetgum forest in northern LA (seems like 50,000 acres) and began logging and processing the leaves and bark for the shikimic acid. I saw it on a business channel one morning. They were speculating what a tamiflu shortage would do to stock prices.

To get shikimic acid from sweetgum making tea is best even in winter. Harvest branches about the diameter of a finger, cut 6" long, Boil limbs about 20minutes in a gallon of water and you have tami-flu tea!

IN early summer the hard green seed pods of sweetgum contain the highest percentage of shikimic acid in nature. But innerbark is fine and easier to deal with. It takes about a 3lb hammer to crush the pods.

Last edited:
Ignore this message I never seen the response from jazzy explaining every question I asked 🤦🏻‍♀️
I am going to nit pic on ones that peak my interest.
lets take Pine Needle Tea Tincture first,
do you make a tea then a tincture from the tea?
what pine trees do you use?
bark, needles, sap??
from my research I did, they say any pine tree can be used. Bark, needles and twigs. Just pick and make a tea and drink???

Last edited:
@jazzy, what do you use essiac tea and pine needle tea tincture for?

i want to go out and get some blackberry root for diarrhea and Echinacea root for immune

Essiac is for cancer.

I just reread and saw your post jazzy explaining pine needle tea, sorry for missing it and asking all those questions.
i know essiac tea is for cancer but havent heard of a tincture from it.
Thanks
hi lilmissy,
no problems, ask anything you want. lol--and i have to apologize cause sometimes i dont always see the questions.

yes, essiac is mainly for cancer and has cured thousands even stage 4. the ones told to go home get their things in order and die. it was originally used as a tea but can be made into a tincture. it also is a great help to the immune system strengthening it and also a detox. . i think it is worth having around.

i like making tinctures as i believe it preservers the properties better. i can have a bag of dreid essiac tea and it can sit in a cupboard but it slowly weakens, in a tincture you have better preserving of properties over time. just my opinion, others may have differetn ones.

ive only seen a couple of studies over the years but feel more comfortable making a tincture for items i want to keep long term.

things that i cant grow near me like elderberries, i buy in bulk and tincture it to have on hand. i do the same for essia tea and some other things.

to me, there are a few basics i WAnt to tincture to have on hand for a couple years like elderberry, essiac, skullcap, etc, etc, things that have worked fo rme and im comfortable with.

prices for herbs abd alcohol are going UP, so im tinctureing my butt off, lololol

God bless, lilmissy--heres a hug

Thanks everyone.
how about the essiac tea tincture. Are you just putting the vodka over the dried herb or making a tea then somehow turning that into a tincture? whats the dosage for this?

i just put the dry herb mix in jar and cover with the vodka. nice and simple

Latest posts

Back