Important Things Your Parents Taught You

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Elbows off the table.

My wife is an absolute stickler for table manners. No elbows on the table, napkin on laps, prayer before you touch any food, proper use of utensils, mouth closed when chewing, sit straight, feet down, pleases & thank yous, ask do not reach, permission to be excused, etc., etc. It's interesting when our children have guests over for a meal and they find out that every time we sit to break bread it's basically a formal affair. My wife has no qualms about correcting anyone (child or otherwise) who dines at her table. She believes good manners are a sign of self-respect, dignity and class, that having those qualities at the table equates to having those qualities in life. Qualities that lend to more successful grown ups. And as she always says "I am not raising children, I am preparing future productive adults".

We were not nearly as formal, but we did learn the pleases and thank yous. We never reached for anything unless it was directly in front of us and never across someone. We asked to be excused when done. We never took more than we could eat and always ate what we took. Prayer always came before we ate.
We instilled these in our children as much as possible, but never had a particularly formal table sitting.

Last edited:
My wife is an absolute stickler for table manners. No elbows on the table, napkin on laps, prayer before you touch any food, proper use of utensils, mouth closed when chewing, sit straight, feet down, pleases & thank yous, ask do not reach, permission to be excused, etc., etc. It's interesting when our children have guests over for a meal and they find out that every time we sit to break bread it's basically a formal affair. My wife has no qualms about correcting anyone (child or otherwise) who dines at her table. She believes good manners are a sign of self-respect, dignity and class, that having those qualities at the table equates to having those qualities in life. Qualities that lend to more successful grown ups. And as she always says "I am not raising children, I am preparing future productive adults".
When I was teaching, manners were something I imparted at every opportunity. So many people have no idea about manners. A friend told me that she had the minister and his family from our church over for dinner. She said the children were just wild at the dinner table, completely without any knowledge of manners or how to eat at the table as a guest.

Many children today rarely use eating utensils. Just about everything they eat is with their hands. Whenever I did special meals with my students as part of a unit we were studying or part of a celebration, it was always pretty shocking to see that many children don't know how to use forks and spoons.

Many families do not sit down at a table to eat either. This would provide an opportunity for conversation and what is appropriate to discuss and not.

My grandma would always say..."It is better to have a ring on your fingeat r than one in your nose"
Some women think it's the same thing. Now at my house, I wear the pants in MY family. After my wife goes to bed, I get em out, put them on, and strut all over the house

Some women think it's the same thing. Now at my house, I wear the pants in MY family. After my wife goes to bed, I get em out, put them on, and strut all over the house

Reminds me of a joke!

Man and woman get married. On the wedding night the man throws his pants at his new bride and says "Here, try these on". Wife says "They don't fit". Husband says "Exactly, remember that." The wife throws her pants at her new husband and says "Okay, put these on". Husband says "I can't get into your pants!?". Wife says "And you never will if you don't change that attitude." :D

Reminds me of a joke!

Man and woman get married. On the wedding night the man throws his pants at his new bride and says "Here, try these on". Wife says "They don't fit". Husband says "Exactly, remember that." The wife throws her pants at her new husband and says "Okay, put these on". Husband says "I can't get into your pants!?". Wife says "And you never will if you don't change that attitude." :D

For true!

Latest posts

Back