In search of mini chainsaw

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Im looking to purchase a mini gas chainsaw. I currently use a husqvarna 345. It works great but i carry it in a couple miles and use it to brush trails. The older i get the heavier it gets.

Any thoughts on a mini gas chainsaw?

I have a Stihl 170 saw that I use. I can't always get it started though, so I need hubs for that. For smaller jobs, he often grabs my saw since it's easier to swing around than his big one.

I've heard really good things about the Milwaukee battery powered saw. You can read reviews on Amazon about those. I will be getting one soon.

I carry a Dewalt battery saw in the jeep.

If you will be running it a lot then the weight of the batteries would not be good. But in the jeep i always have a bag or charged batteries so it works for me.

Ben

Describe what you mean by "brushing trails." Are you cutting up trees that have fallen across the trail? Are you limbing tree branches that protrude into the trail? Are you cutting live brush that is growing in the trail? Each type of "brushing" may require a different tool.

For me, I brushed a mile of trails on my 40 acres using a brush cutter with a carbide-tipped circular saw blade. Then, I went back with a chain saw and cut any tree trunks that were laying across the trail. Lastly, I limbed low hanging tree branches with a gas-powered limber.

Look at the Stihl 151. It’s half the weight of the 170.

We always cary the loppers like sourdough quotes for our trail maintenance. We do need to take a chainsaw with us at least once a year, but otherwise it’s the loppers.

I can tell you what not to get. Don't get one of these. The wife wanted it, and we just picked it up for her a few weeks ago. The batteries only last for about 15-20 minutes before you have to recharge them. Thank goodness for my 10 or so gas powered Stihl and Husqvarna chainsaws that all work.

RYOBI ONE+ 18V 10 in. Cordless Battery Chainsaw (Tool Only)-P546A - The Home Depot

1624320232623.png

I can tell you what not to get. Don't get one of these. The wife wanted it, and we just picked it up for her a few weeks ago. The batteries only last for about 15-20 minutes before you have to recharge them. Thank goodness for my 10 or so gas powered Stihl and Husqvarna chainsaws that all work.

RYOBI ONE+ 18V 10 in. Cordless Battery Chainsaw (Tool Only)-P546A - The Home Depot

View attachment 68394
Can you share what the AH rating of the battery is?

I have acquired a collection of the 20V Dewalt batteries and the 8 AH last a while.

Ben

Can you share what the AH rating of the battery is?

I have acquired a collection of the 20V Dewalt batteries and the 8 AH last a while.

Ben

• Includes a RYOBI 18V Lithium 4.0 Ah battery and charger
I use the 20V Dewalt batteries that perform much better in my tools.

I am looking at
MS 271 FARM BOSS A high-performance, high-tech, fuel-efficient chainsaw.
For a small saw

https://chainsawlarry.com/best-small-chainsaws-lightweight-chainsaw-reviews/

Get it!

I bought one with a 20" bar a couple months ago. Switched out the green low kick back chain with a yellow semi chiseled chain. It rips through soft wood and cuts pretty fast on hard wood.

It isnt very light but the fuel and bar oil seems to last a lot longer then the smaller chainsaws.

Before she got dirty. Lol

20210416_202619.jpg

I do wish however that it would have came with bigger felling dogs.

Get it!

I bought one with a 20" bar a couple months ago. Switched out the green low kick back chain with a yellow semi chiseled chain. It rips through soft wood and cuts pretty fast on hard wood.

It isnt very light but the fuel and bar oil seems to last a lot longer then the smaller chainsaws.

Before she got dirty. Lol

View attachment 68589

I do wish however that it would have came with bigger felling dogs.
Brother just brought home the new chainsaw.

20210702_191919.jpg

20210702_191929.jpg

We will be giving a test drive tomorrow to clear trees that came down over the path through the woods.

Ben

Echo 330T Great power to weight ratio. I've had mine for 15-16 years it's my go to saw for small stuff. I own Echo Stihl and Dolmar saws. The Echo's always run and by far have the best power to weight. I got my first Echo in the mid 90's and still use it every year. Stihl is just to dang heavy for the power and the Dolmar is my big horse for those giant trees. It can handle up to a 8 foot bar but I can't! lol

Back