Incense

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMC

The Shaman of suburbia's son and apprentice.
Neighbor
In bygone eras, incense was valued above even gold. In a post collapse society, would it rise in value again? I bought a ton of one hour burning sticks so I could keep track of time if an EMP hit.

In bygone eras, incense was valued above even gold. In a post collapse society, would it rise in value again? I bought a ton of one hour burning sticks so I could keep track of time if an EMP hit.
That's a valid thought, but I think it really stemmed back to religious docs. and practices. Gold, frankincense and myrrh were the gifts of the 3 wisemen. All three were rare. I think along the lines of how you are thinking, essential oils might be right up there and possibly more sought after than incense - not saying incense isn't good, just might not be as popular.

I don't see it having value unless you're taking refuge in a discount tobacco shop. Post collapse folks will be using cedar, broom sage and a few others to mask there scent.

When burned some plants act to drive off insects of all types. Others can calm a fussy child... Some where I have a list...

Guess my point... of what practical use would incense be after a collapse?

I love my incense..especially when it's just around sunset, slight breeze n all the windows open..light up a good cone or stick to softly waft about making it smell so good as the stars start popping out.
I dont smoke ..I've just always like incense. Only the good stuff tho..the cheap crap usually stinks when burning.
I used to have a dragon burner that had the smoke come out its nose..it was cute..

I do like my incense. The wife, not so much. I bought a bunch from Amazon because I could not find the type I wanted. I like Orange Blossom.
I started burning it as a teenager to help cover up other smells. LOL I have enough to last me a while but I could always use more. I might try a different scent next time. Maybe a variety pack.

https://mermadearts.com/
This place has the best. I highly recommend their frankincense, and myrrh. I bought the Golden Lotus burner from them. One for me. One for Magus, my dad. We both love them.

They also have unique blends, such as sweet medicine, or kyphi. Most of their blends have agarwood, which I now love. It gives a nice hook that draws you in.

Last edited:
We like Shoyeido incense, we loved the original jewel assortment, but DH overdid it for a while (seriously at least two sticks a night every night) and I started getting headaches so we've stopped. I like it once in a while but for hours every night was too much for me.

There is a lot to be said for having something that can help you relax during a stressful time.

I like frankincense resin but my wife doesn't like it. :( I think she's broken. Well, heck, I KNOW she's broken; look who she hangs out with.

Apart from that, I can take incense or leave it. Some of the common commercial stuff is OK, a lot is overpowering and obnoxious. If it became a barter item, that would be OK with me. We have a lot of it in stick, cone and resin form.

Frankincense is the best. Have you tried it from mermadearts? It's amazing. They have a whole section devoted to it. Sultans Green. Hougary. Carterii from somalia was the cheapest, so, when on a budget I got some and it was also amazing.

Frankincense is the best. Have you tried it from mermadearts? It's amazing. They have a whole section devoted to it. Sultans Green. Hougary. Carterii from somalia was the cheapest, so, when on a budget I got some and it was also amazing.
Nope, I'm not into it enough to know different brands or types. I bought a 1lb bulk bag off Amazon from Mystic Temple and another four ounce bag that was no-name.

It has held valve for thousands of years, someone will want them, like a pig farmer wife.
If you into smells & flavors check out distillation, like rose oil & rose water, moonshine for cleaning wounds & as a gasoline substitute.
https://www.clawhammersupply.com/

It has held valve for thousands of years, someone will want them, like a pig farmer wife.
If you into smells & flavors check out distillation, like rose oil & rose water, moonshine for cleaning wounds & as a gasoline substitute.
I love the smell of a 30-gallon corn ferment

Mmm!
Get naked with a chick, put a Barry White album on the turntable, light a stick or two of incense, and fire up a joint of Maui Wowee.
Yeah, baby!!! Now we’re talkin’
Let the good times roll.

(Remember, I’m a product of the 60’s)

I wish so bad I had all of my equipment back. I just don't have the money to rebuild what I had. It is something I could do in the shape that I am in.

Mmm!
Get naked with a chick, put a Barry White album on the turntable, light a stick or two of incense, and fire up a joint of Maui Wowee.
Yeah, baby!!! Now we’re talkin’
Let the good times roll.

(Remember, I’m a product of the 60’s)
Some will never understand what times were like. I was probably the last generation to have great times. I miss the early 80's so bad. I do wish I could go back and stay.

I do not like incense. I associate it strongly with the nasty stank hippie wannabes I knew in my 20s. You know the kind, their clothes smell like body odor and stale weed smoke, they have hemp bracelets, hemp necklaces, and they believe hemp will do everything from cure cancer to fueling jet engines. They somehow thought the combination of incense and clove cigarettes would cover up the weed/BO combination.

They were wrong...

I know back in the 70s my Mom was a big fan of it. . . loved Sandalwood. To this day, I still don't get it, but I do like my plugins that are basically the same? I really like walking into my house and get a fruity smell. Sorry but there are months that we can not cut up a homegrown watermelon, cantaloupe or Honeydew. During the fall type months we get lemons and oranges. The scent doesn't linger for long though.

Latest posts

Back