increasing energy levels

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I'm in my mid 50s and after coming home from work I am generally whipped. My days are spent many times crawling on my hands and knees. Many times I also work weekends. I am also a pusher, it is my nature. Battling bunions as well but have a handle on those with shoe inserts, not perfect but much better.

Any thoughts on increasing energy levels?

I find changing my habits helps. I'm in the habit right now of putting my feet up and having coffee and checking news stuff twice a day. I need to cut that down to once. I also have to have 8 hrs of sleep and cut off having coffee after 4pm or no sleep for me. Are you sleeping enough? I'm nearing 60 and have let pounds creep up over the past few years and that slows me down.

Getting up early is good, though. People I know that don't do anything with their day, and seniors who have their health fail quickly seem to be those that want to stay up all night and sleep late in the day. The worst thing my mom did when she retired was turn on the tv and sit in the recliner. All the things she wanted to do went out the window. My mil is a year younger, and still takes a couple mile walk, swims, plays bridge. If you stayed up late at night, there's usually not much to do but read or watch tv, and those are both passive activities.

Cutting bad carbs and intermittent fasting help recharge my batteries. It's not exactly the most pleasant way to go, but it works. Every time I do a fast over 24 hours, I get a ton of stuff done. I'm planning a longer fast this week, so it's a good thing I have a loooong to-do list. You'll also have more time on your hands when not eating and not prepping or cleaning up after eating. I also don't require nealy as much sleep when I fast, so there's more time added to my day.

I would say top of the list is nutrition; like @angie_nrs said ditch the carbs. Make sure you are getting clean animal fats (brain food- contrary to popular belief, you need them) and greens.
Iron and vit. D are very important to energy levels also. Other than that, be sure to feed your soul - what is your passion? Make time to do what you enjoy. We’ve also been working tons- hopefully 1 more weekend working (in addition to the week) and Hubby can take a day off. A big part is letting your brain rest.
Sorry I don’t have a magic cure.

I'm not really sure how much I can contribute. I am well past 50, and can unabashedly say "if I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself." My philosophy on life has always been Work Hard. Play Harder, and Never Intentionally Hurt Anyone. I have burned the candle at both ends for 50 years, but now I have to slow down. I simply can't do what I used to.

I did not notice any real change until I was 60. Then I seemed to fall off a cliff. My physical skills diminished remarkably. LadyLocust makes a good point. I have taken Vitamin D religiously since I turned 60. I always thought if comes from the sun. How could you not have enough of that? Au Contraire! I had to have it prescribed I was so low. I am past the danger point, but now I take it every day. B vitamins are also good for circulation.

RandyT: I was also a pusher. I have worked at least two jobs my entire life. If I was available I never said no to work. Now I do. Some of it has come from being in a better financial position, and being able to be more selective. Some has come from not being physically able to go 24/7 without rest. I would assess the work you are doing, and see if there are some things where you can pass. A little rest or a break from the rat race would help. Hope this helps.

Hubby and I have always had plenty of energy till here lately Sept.2019 when the dr.s took me out of commision 13 months ago.
Which caused lots of depression for me losing perfect vision to partilly blind then fake hear attack so hubby had to deal with it by leading me around and dealing with meds from hell till I threw away meds and adjusted to my instant new vision disability. But it could have been worse and most doctors are good just wrong place right time.
Now both of us have less eneergy but working on it by getting busy even if we don't feel like it and fell better now.
Kids use to laugh at us about how we were always working or starting a new project,and son says " yall like to work more than anyone I've ever seen ",
Today I washed the large dogs,about to wash the porch and dance to some music. Hubby will work on my van that is acting up,pull the code and see whats goign on. He thinks it just sat up too long.

Slowly gettingback into the grove, use it or lose it and at my age it won't taake long.

My knee went out couple weeks ago but I still exercise now but I've been massaging, doing some pE reps got me off walker in just 2 days, but since I had stopped so its hard to get back into yard and garden preperation for spring. I vaccum wood floors instead of sweeping,this week while half hopping around I vacuum,mopped and cleaned up plus help transfer plants and repotted alot of them. I have not raked up the leaves for compost yet though and usually that would have been done in the fall.
Wishing and hopeing :) nothing else happens so we can have a garden this spring

Latest posts

Back