Incubation advice

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought about the humidity, but maybe the cold conditions when they were laid until they were picked up. I'm not sure. Humidity is lower for now for sure, but I was able to control it in the incubator. The shells seemed thicker. Too thick for the turkeys to break out of. Our nighttime temps are now getting above freezing, and I've always had been luck with eggs in the warmer temps. Shame on me, but the two that hatched, I actually broke out of the egg shells after watching them try to get out for over a day. Problem with when they pip the shell, then stop, the membrane dries up inside because of the hole in the egg they made. It dries up pretty quickly around the chick like a mummy after a number of hours. Then they can't get out.

Very interesting. There sure is a lot to using an incubator. Sure glad you got the two.
Definitely don't think we will be able to run the incubator another round due to temps. It will be impossible not to cook them in our house in a few more weeks.

No development in the incubator eggs. Not surprised but disappointed.
Still no luck on getting even straight run chicks. Going to call the feed store tomorrow that said they are hoping for straight run chicks tomorrow. If we have no luck tomorrow I guess I will give up and take the broody hen out of the nest and get her back to being a chicken again.

Latest posts

Back