Indoor Gardening

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Have I shared this video enough times? I think this is the third time, but first time in a new thread about the subject.

I often wanted to grow food inside during the winter, and this video from Provident Preppers is a good one, I think. There are more videos from them and some from others out there.

I have started my set up, but still have a ways to go. Seems Urban has been doing a great job with his. I'm not done, just slower to get some things done. I know people who have set ups in their basements. I used too think that I needed grow lights, but we don't. There are some great lights out there to use.

Anyone else grow food in your home? What kind of success and struggles have you had? Even if something is a fail, the aspect of trying it is fun, imho.

Oops, wrong video, edited.

Okay, here is my new growing station (#2). It cost about $255 (Lights were $130 (16 - 2' bars) and the shelving unit was $122) it is 42" x 24" x 72" and I am using the "Orange" grow lights (5 24" bars per shelf, attached with wire ties), Only regret, I would have gone with a 48" X 24" x 72" instead if I could have fit it into the space I have. My other station is 48" X 18" X 72" and I like the 24 inch wide shelves better as it is easier to put the light bars in. All of the seeds (and spuds) were planted between November 19 and December 3, 2020. I need to add a fan to the setup as I have heard that it will keep the nats down. The vertical thing on the right bottom by the date is the curtain, which is normally closed. I am keeping a log of what works and does not, so far I have planted 42 different things. Enjoy!

1608061514156.jpeg

I have a shelf similar to what @UrbanHunter has but I only use it for cloning and starting seedlings. It is currently idle because The Princess and have agreed that I need to concentrate on "what I need to do" not on "what I want to do".

The Princess has promised that I can convert the south facing back porch into a greenhouse after I finish what I "have to do".

Such is the life of a limited being.

Ben

This morning I moved my growing station#1, only moved it about 2 feet, but it was a chore. I am making room for my new High Bay growing area.
I then "mounded" all my bucket plants, I have now added a total of about 10" of new soil to the potatoes and they are getting heavy to move around. When those plants get too big for the growing station shelves, they will be moving to the high bay.

My wife has informed me that the things I call "window boxes" are not, and that I must stop calling them that, so I guess they are just long narrow planter boxes; I shall name them "Row Boxes" because I treat them like a small row in the garden.. :)

Today I plan to complete the install of a water filter system that I saved from the old kitchen, I have about a 2 year supply of filters on hand and will use it to water the indoor plants going forward.

Brought in my cayenne pepper plant early September before an early season snow storm. It has done well. Today, I notice aphid eggs on the backs of the leaves. The plant is blooming and gets great morning light. I'm thinking I'll pick all the peppers, put it outside and let the plant and the aphids freeze.

Good Call @Weedygarden, I brought in my peppers this year and it resulted in an aphid disaster, I lost several adjacent plants because they are so aggressive. Now my thinking is that the door to the outside is a ONE WAY trip for the plants; if I want plants indoors I will start and keep them indoors.

One exception, spinach - my spinach starts so much better outside, I go out with a paper bowel and a plastic spoon to pick out tiny spinach transplants that I bring indoors.

Back