Inexpensive 48 Volt 2,000 watt pure sinewave inverter

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggkidd

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Just ordered a CHEAP pure sinewave 48 volt 2,000 watt 4,000 peak watt inverter I will try and remember to report back how it works out. This is not a necessary item just a nicety. But for $126 delivered I couldn't resist. They had a make an offer and accepted my $120 offer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165396141435

I don't have an identical one, but similar, if it works as well as the one I have you'll be happy.

I had it in my big truck when I was driving, it ran my TV and microwave no problem.

This makes my 10th inverter or there about. This one is by far the cheapest one I've ever bought. If it works okay I'll hook it up as a spare while I get the spare checked out. Something with it is askew.

Last edited:
This makes my 10th inverter or there about. This one is by far the cheapest one I've ever bought. If it works okay I'll hook it up as a spare while I get the spare checked out. Something with it is askew with it.

Do you expect an issue?

Ben

It just doesn't act quite right since I replaced the control board in it so I want to send it back to Aims to get it checked out. (It was over 6 years old and under constant use before having an issue.) At the same time I don't want to send it off without a spare in hand. I own 2 Aims inverters one hooked up running the house and another hooked up but as a spare. I also have 2) 12V inverters currently hooked up and in use. Plus a few dead ones that are on hand for parts I guess. lol

Just remembered the cheapo inverter I ordered came in today. Really fast shipping. So another to do on my list. I want to get it hooked up and test it out soon. If it works as advertised I wouldn't be adverse to buying a couple spares at that price. I'm so dang tired I haven't even opened the package.

Running a limited test on this inverter. I have a measured 1450-1500 watt load on it. It's been running since about 1:50 and I'm attempting to let it run until 2:50. It didn't make it but 15 minutes before overheating with that load. About what I expected to be honest now I'll let it cool off and try a smaller load.

Started another test with 700 watts. Hard to find things that draw exactly this or that. lol

Last edited:
Okay it ran 700 watts for an hour twenty without issue I wanted to try 1,000 watts but I didn't have anything. It could only run 1500 watts about 15 minutes before overheating. It was between 80-85 in the building when testing was done. 123 volts and 59 HZ according to my kilowatt meter. It'll cover the basics if it has to gotta remember this is nothing much more than a spare for the spare...

Okay it ran 700 watts for an hour twenty without issue I wanted to try 1,000 watts but I didn't have anything. It could only run 1500 watts about 15 minutes before overheating. It was between 80-85 in the building when testing was done. 123 volts and 59 HZ according to my kilowatt meter. It'll cover the basics if it has to gotta remember this is nothing much more than a spare for the spare...
Does it have cooling fans?

Ben

Hey guys, I am trying to identify a "good" 12 volt inverter system for continuous use. I am beginning to look like the back room of a 1970s Radio Shack. I need to cover 2 applications, 1 1000 watt continuous load (with an occasional 1500 watt motor), and one smaller <500 watt continuous load. The battery bank for the 1000 watt load is 1000ah 12 V, and the battery bank for the smaller load is only 200ah 12Vs, both battery banks are charged by solar arrays.

The small load (currently a 20 watt bug zapper) has killed a couple of cheep 1000 watt modified sine inverters

The larger load (~900 watts led lights) killed a high end 1200 watt inverter (AIMs with transfer switch), a 2000 watt modified sine inverter (harbor freight), and Renogy 1000 watt pure sine unit.

The inverters on the small load last about a week then just go into alarm mode... I hate to have to put a big inverter to run a very small load.
Currently, I am trying to figure out what to replace this one with. (it died yesterday)

The inverters on the larger load have had a number of failure mechanisms, but usually it appears to be an internal short resulting in an overload condition. These units have been lasting between 2 weeks and 6 months. The AIMS lasted the longest followed by the harbor freight.

Right now I am running a SUDOKEJI 2500W Power Inverter 12V DC to AC 110V/120V (2500 watt modified sine/ w remote) but is has only been in service for 10 days.... time will tell.

Anyway, what I really need is a RELIABLE inverter that can handle constant loads (like a SHTF event) for an extended period of time (Years would be good). If any one has any good experience with an inverter (brand and model) that has performed well under continuous service for over 6 months, I would love to hear about it.

I've gotten 6 years or more out of my Aims pure sinewave 48 volt 2000w inverter chargers. I have to ask where are these inverters located? One of my issues is keeping them cool they prefer conditioned spaces. Ideally they run at 70f. They each ran my house at different times.

I've gotten 6 years or more out of my Aims pure sinewave 48 volt 2000w inverter chargers. I have to ask where are these inverters located? One of my issues is keeping them cool they prefer conditioned spaces. Ideally they run at 70f. They each ran my house at different times.
They are located outside in a covered but un-air conditioned space, similar to a chicken coop with a 12" screened opening at the bottom and under the eve at the top.. They are always shaded and have good air flow (they are mounted horizontally with 6" of clearance on all 6 sides) the temperatures outside the device range from about 30F in winter and 95F in summer...

On the large load the Cables are 1-O with a 3' run to the battery bus bar, with a 250A AMEs fuse on positive side of the 3' run. All connector ends are soldered on solid copper.

When buying an inverter you double the the power you will use. For a 1500 watt load you want a 3000 watt inverter. That way it will last a long time and won't overheat. If you are placing a high voltage load on it - bug-zapper or fence charger - then use protection between your inverter and the load.

When buying an inverter you double the the power you will use. For a 1500 watt load you want a 3000 watt inverter. That way it will last a long time and won't overheat. If you are placing a high voltage load on it - bug-zapper or fence charger - then use protection between your inverter and the load.

I don't know about that. I use to think that way and using cheap inverters like this thread was originally about that rule holds VERY true. When it comes to better grade inverters maybe not so much. They actually run at peak efficiency at around 80-90% of rated load if memory serves. I could well be wrong. I know they will certainly handle running there and I am fairly certain many of them can and do handle the rated load plus 10-25% continuous and start huge loads. That's been my experience over the last 14.5 years anyway.

I don't know about that. I use to think that way and using cheap inverters like this thread was originally about that rule holds VERY true. When it comes to better grade inverters maybe not so much. They actually run at peak efficiency at around 80-90% of rated load if memory serves. I could well be wrong. I know they will certainly handle running there and I am fairly certain many of them can and do handle the rated load plus 10-25% continuous and start huge loads. That's been my experience over the last 14.5 years anyway.
You and @SheepDog may be talking past each other.

Load of max efficiency is not load of max reliability.

Old joke
Optimist thinks glass is half full.
Pessimist thinks glass is half empty.
Engineer thinks glass is twice as big at it needs to be.

Safety margin.

Ben

Thanks Ben,
I have come to plan for long life whether it is a table , a foundation or a house. When I built electronics the same rule applies. Those that know me say that I "over-engineer" everything. I'm OK with that... I never hear complaints about things I build failing.

Back