Inexpensive and quick tornado shelter and root cellar

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The soil report says no limitations for dwellings with basements on the part of the parcel where it should go to.
No issues with high water table/depth to saturated zone or any restrictive layer for buidling a basement.
It says very minor (insignificant) limitation due to shrink-swell (the soil is clayey in that part).
This is not 100% reliable for every point on the map of course but a good start.

Passive ventilation of course should be done
I don't know where you reside, but here if you have "passive" ventilation at thirty degrees below zero.......you have frozen food.

There is a reason root cellars become storage for spare tire/bikes/tools/etc.

I don't know where you reside, but here if you have "passive" ventilation at thirty degrees below zero.......you have frozen food.

There is a reason root cellars become storage for spare tire/bikes/tools/etc.
You're not reading my posts, clearly, I already stated the zone I'm in, it does not get very cold.
Also I'm from extremely cold climate country originally, where every grandma without a dime to her soul had a cellar and had for centuries.
The reason cellars became storage units is because people no longer live off the land. During my property search however, I had seen multiple functional cellars even here in the US.

I had seen multiple functional cellars even here in the US.

"Cellars"...........yes, no problem. But there is a world of difference between a cellar and a root cellar.

"Cellars"...........yes, no problem. But there is a world of difference between a cellar and a root cellar.
I came to the forum to hear practical advice from people who have something positive to contribute, pointless to pick on this word play stuff, it's the same thing.

Then "WHY" are you calling it a "root cellar".......????
He's calling it a root cellar due to the fact that is the name for it for a few generations. Just because it does not fit your criteria for that name, does not make it inaccurate. Many people still use them, or use a dirt cellar under an old home to keep the root crops in hay, or other methods to keep them usable for many months. Or put their stored canned foods.

So, do you have any help to give him for an in the ground storage place, usually called a root cellar and often used for tornado shelters since they are almost always in the ground and covered with a door access?

He's calling it a root cellar due to the fact that is the name for it for a few generations. Just because it does not fit your criteria for that name, does not make it inaccurate. Many people still use them, or use a dirt cellar under an old home to keep the root crops in hay, or other methods to keep them usable for many months. Or put their stored canned foods.

So, do you have any help to give him for an in the ground storage place, usually called a root cellar and often used for tornado shelters since they are almost always in the ground and covered with a door access?
I do speak English.
Root cellar does not have a separate definition form cellar, one can use google, Merrian-Webster, etc, there're various definitions floating out there and many cellar variations. Whatever picking on the wording one might want, it's pointless and clearly has a point to distract from my question and insult rather that have practical discussion.
Things can double as a storm shelter and cellar or ROOT cellar just fine, or FOOD STORAGE if you want to name it this way.
I'm not interested in hearing all this negativity and bitterness. Wow. Glad I wont' be interecting with certain people from here in real life, haha. Byee.

Okay, we'll leave the door unlocked for when you want to come back. But, I was not putting you down at all or inferring that you didn't speak English.
It must be Monday.
Byee. I edited my original post to your liking also. Can delete my account. Not interested in non-productive blabber with subtle insults thrown in at me by that guy with nothing else to do other than picking on people online and moderation that supports those types.

How about using an underground fuel storage tank?

Leaving so soon? how about hanging around and see what happens?
We'll be calling you a snowflake if you don't. you don't seem like a snowflake.

There is a distinction between a "CELLAR" also called a "Basement" and a "Root Cellar". Or at least the U.S. Department of Agriculture, seems to think so. Located in Palmer, Alaska is a large research project that is under the USDA. It was established "roughly" 1935. "ONE" of their projects, has been on going from the very beginning.........that being, how to build a "Root Cellar" that works where there is no electric. So far all of their test constructed "root cellars" have failed.

A "cellar" or basement.......simply needs to be dry, and structurally sound. A "root cellar" is a carefully controlled environment......with perfect or near perfect temperature, air flow and humidity. Not totally unlike a refrigerator. Especially one with a dehumidifier built-in.

I so very much desired to build a "root cellar" in Alaska, that I not only acquired all their research, I also visited their research center in Palmer, Alaska.

Last edited:
culvert.jpg

There is a distinction between a "CELLAR" also called a "Basement" and a "Root Cellar". Or at least the U.S. Department of Agriculture, seems to think so. Located in Palmer, Alaska is a large research project that is under the USDA. It was established "roughly" 1935. "ONE" of their projects, has been on going from the very beginning.........that being, how to build a "Root Cellar" that works where there is no electric. So far all of their test constructed "root cellars" have failed.

A "cellar" or basement.......simply needs to be dry. A "root cellar" is a carefully controlled environment......with perfect or near perfect temperature, air flow and humidity.

Sourdough, the lower sections of the USA are not necessarily following the "proper" definition. They use what has been known from grandparents and great grandparents. Like the 1905 house I almost bought in TN. It had a root cellar under a bedroom. Shelves on the wall, dirt dug out. and those at an angle doors. Just like Dorothy Gail's family was running to in the Wizard of Oz. It was used as a root cellar, a tornado shelter and cellar. But not fancy, just practical. Don't let the government name for something make it the only definition or name for something. Let's be a bit more accommodating than that.

Don't let the government name for something make it the only definition or name for something. Let's be a bit more accommodating than that.

Then........how do we communicate.......??? It is like people who call themselves a Homesteader, or "claim" they are Homesteading. We are actually creating the "classic" Tower of Babble. If someone say's he is a "Contractor"........he goes to other countries and kills people. I call that Mercenary.

Last edited:
Ah Sourdough, a classic tower of Babel was everyone speaking the same language. Then they were dispersed and had different languages.

Many of us here do not talk engineening precise. We talk general country talk, or colloquial. There is nothing in this thread to have issues about what an underground storage / tornado/ fall out shelter is called.

At least you have a few months before tornado season starts again, for now time is on your side.

If you have a truck/trailer and live near a city of 40-50K. I know a guy who built a 3-car garage, out buildings and an addition on his house from recycled materials. He got them for pennies on the dollar.

A small city was trying to clean up it's image, getting rid of old abandoned houses and structures. He made contacts with the people doing the demolition. Occasionally he'd get a load of free cinder blocks or lumber. Sometimes he'd had to pay a few bucks but it was minor. He'd just stop by the job sites on his way home from work.

That's the cheap way to do it. Couple trailer loads should be enough, 50-70 cinderblocks, some brick, few 2x4's, few 1x's, some tin from an old shed and you're set. Construction happens everywhere, they usually tear down the old structures. Just have to look and talk to people.

Tornadoes are rare in zone 4. I live right in the middle of the Dixie Ally. In fact my home was destroyed by a tornado in '74. I was close enough this past spring to hear 3 separate tornadoes... I've dealt with tornadoes my whole life so... it doesn't get exciting until there are 4 or 5 tornadoes on the ground at the same time, then it's a party! Even got clipped by 2 hurricanes this summer, had trees down during one. So...

I'd recommend building your shelter on a north facing slope. 1) stays colder in summer 2) in general tornadoes travel from south to north (SW to NE).

Many times in my life I've seen tornadoes lift just a little when going over a hill. Just like a kid with a bicycle and a little ramp. The storm hits the southern slope then lifts slightly when over the north slope. Not much but enough that the damage is noticeably less on the north side of the hill.

Last edited:

A "cellar" or basement.......simply needs to be dry, and structurally sound. A "root cellar" is a carefully controlled environment......with perfect or near perfect temperature, air flow and humidity. Not totally unlike a refrigerator. Especially one with a dehumidifier built-in.

I so very much desired to build a "root cellar" in Alaska, that I not only acquired all their research, I also visited their research center in Palmer, Alaska.

LOL... A Root cellar is a dug out hole under ground for the storage of food. one of which is roots, hence the name. Root cellars are over 40,000 years
old. Root cellar and cellar are the same thing. both words are interchangeable and have been used to store food thousands of years before power was invented . The reason to store food in cellars is because the temp below ground stays constant.

cellar
[ˈselər]

NOUN

1. a room below ground level in a house, typically one used for storing wine or coal.
    "the servants led us down into a cellar" ·
    [more]
    synonyms:
    basement · vault · crypt · undercroft · underground room · catacomb · sub-basement · lower ground floor · garden flat · below stairs
VERB

1. store (wine) in a cellar.
    "it is drinkable now but can be cellared for at least five years"

@Sourdough most cellar dont work? dude you been in alaska to long...lol..theres 1,000's of cellars working all over the globe.just because alaska has very unique features doesnt mean the broad statement you said is correct. i have looked at a lot of cellars to design mine.

a cellar can be any 'type' cellar a person wants it to be..if it had roots in it its a root cellar...if it has wine its a wine cellar...if i run and duck in it from a tornado its a storm shelter...if all 3 are in it at once i probably be drinking wine while storm blows over sitting on a crate of taters..lol

ever see where this nations potatoes are stored to feed those who dont grow for themselves? giant factory sized root cellar..or should i call it a potato cellar?

@mainecoon cellar use to be nothing but stacked stone back in the day. some used dirt between rocks and some used mortar.i am using mortar on mine so it last and be 100% varmint and snake proof. hold on i will show you a bunch of options from around globe you might try. guy in germany has some simple cellars and variations of cellars to for livestock to go inside for protection.

to see the very best working root cellars you need to type in russian.i spent a bunch of time looking at russian text to see how they do things.they build some awesome cellars and they deal with coldest temps on the planet too. no promises but i might have a few saved links but i had computer die a year ago and lost lots of stuff.

mr. chickadee is a true craftsman. he built a functional as well as a beautiful work of art cellar. he made many detailed and long vids.

Latest posts

Back