"INFLATION"..........You ain't seen nothing "YET".......Act prudently.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
"We Haven't Seen This In More Than 30 Years" - Shipping Rates From China To US Hit Record $20,000 With No Drop In Sight | ZeroHedge

Someone will have to "Eat" this additional cost...........the answer can be found by looking in the mirror. Learn to "Loath" your normalcy bias.
This is only part of a much bigger problem.
Container shipping from China to the US relies on volume to make economy-of-scale to work.
The vast majority of containers waiting in China are EMPTY!
This became obvious months ago when the famous 'chip shortage' could no longer be hidden.
If a ship can only load half (or less) of the containers that it can carry, the cost is the same to transport them so the price per container will be double.
Most of the transport ships do not even belong to China.
>The vast majority of containers waiting in China are EMPTY!
This is why you see lots of ships with empty containers on them piled up on the left coast instead of returning to China. They don't need them.
The problem is, why is China not filling containers to ship to the US?
Answer> Tarriffs.
I think you said it best in this post:
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/cant-handle-the-truth-dont-read-this-article.13403/post-375677
As far as prepping for inflation, I was around 30 years ago, what I refer to as the 'Carter' years.
Learned a lot the hard way.
I've had my parachute packed tight ever since. Bring it baby! :waiting:

Last edited:
Heck, we will just print more money and kick the can down the road for a few more months. 😴

As Rome burned, Nero fiddled. What will history write about us?

It is sad but expected to see some preparing to weather out a temporary economic downturn when in reality we are heading into a Venezuela type existence from which there will no return to what we are enjoying today . Look at how the Venezuela citizens survive to see what to expect . One reason we will never climb back up to a prosperous civilization , in the U.S. . Look at what has become of our election system and the demented people that gained control of the nation . They will NEVER risk losing their control by letting the citizens have a honest election ever again . Since November 2020 we have turned from a booming economy to a nation of runaway inflation and emptying store shelves that become barer each month .

If there is a sliver lining (always looking for a bright side), increased shipping costs may make some US companies competitive, if they can find the raw materials and qualified labor.....

On the other hand, if part of the reason for CHINA not being able to fill orders is due to Covid/delta labor constraints in their industry, then we may be in for a long Global crap fest.....

I think if you were planning on getting something special for a back-up, you better get it while you can....

I think if you were planning on getting something special for a back-up, you better get it while you can....

I think anyone prepping with a "magic" number of months or years, in their head is going to be in trouble. Again how many preppers, do you think are out there who expect whatever is coming to last for years or decades, or generations.......??? Normalcy Bias is that it will pass and that "they" will survive. How we live today, and "our" assumptions, all of that has only existed for a very-very-very tiny brief amount of years. Take away all of social security payments, and all of retirement and pension payments, (including Military) or even only cut them in "Half". Everything is built on the fantasy, that not only will what "is" continue.......but things will always get better in the future.
People simply don't take it serious till they get frightened.

I think anyone prepping with a "magic" number of months or years, in their head is going to be in trouble. Again how many preppers, do you think are out there who expect whatever is coming to last for years or decades, or generations.......??? Normalcy Bias is that it will pass and that "they" will survive. How we live today, and "our" assumptions, all of that has only existed for a very-very-very tiny brief amount of years. Take away all of social security payments, and all of retirement and pension payments, (including Military) or even only cut them in "Half". Everything is built on the fantasy, that not only will what "is" continue.......but things will always get better in the future.
Ditto that.

Food preps should measured in

Person- years

Ben

@Sourdough I think that you are 100% correct, I remember coming out from under CARTER in the Late 70s, things were bumpy for a lot of people well into the 80s. The big difference this time is how much people have been trained to expect bail outs.... I see train wrecks on all fronts, housing where people don't pay rent, cash advances on the child tax credit, extra unemployment, stimulus checks, all of these things create a false sense of security... When things start to dry up and the reality becomes clear then will come that great day of reckoning......

To be honest, when I said if you were planning on getting something special for a back-up. I was actually thinking of things like solar panels, water filters, and pumps that can be used to extend our ability to act independently... Many of these things are currently imported and availability will dry up shortly....

I think this year has been a good year to practice things like gardening and self sufficient living. But, I think the day is near when this will no longer be play prepping......

Wait, what? I might loose my military pension? (sarcasm alert)

Agreed. The wife and I have written those things off to simply a current transient luxury. I "hope" I am investing that luxury strategically towards something tangible and sustainable, and "hope" that I want be forced to surrender that to the evil ones. Too many "hopes" for my comfort...

I think we are returning to "normal". I was raised by depression era folks. They did not waste NOTHING, when someyhing was used up it was used up. They threw nothing out. I really dont remember any trash. Nails were straightened, bottles washed and kept, big garden, meals were staples cooked from scratch. Everything was patched, fixed, reused and completly wore out. They screwed their socks on and that applied to everything.

That is the way it always was
It is only the last 80 years we got away from that. It cannot be substained.

I think we are returning to "normal". I was raised by depression era folks. They did not waste NOTHING, when someyhing was used up it was used up. They threw nothing out. I really dont remember any trash. Nails were straightened, bottles washed and kept, big garden, meals were staples cooked from scratch. Everything was patched, fixed, reused and completly wore out. They screwed their socks on and that applied to everything.
That's how I was raised and I'm pretty much the same way.
Very little gets wasted and I know how to make do on nothing.

I'd like to think that, but in reality it ain't lookin' so good.
It depends what normal is, grubbing for food, no middleclass, no medicines to prop life up, no law enforcement. Wondering when the next mongol horde is going to come over the horizon. That was normal for the majority of human existence. The last few hundred years is a exception.

I dont think there are going to be goods and services piled up like we have seen the last hundred years.

It depends what normal is, grubbing for food, no middleclass, no medicines to prop life up, no law enforcement. Wondering when the next mongol horde is going to come over the horizon. That was normal for the majority of human existence. The last few hundred years is a exception.

Well.............since you put it that way :D.

You could be right, lol.

Latest posts

Back