Info on surviving a nuke war.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiwall

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
No I do not expect a nuke war anytime soon! Just some information in a few links about surviving if we Ever have some nuke fallout. Yes you can survive! (unless you are in the relatively small blast radius area)

First this link for the info from the CDC--- https://emergency.cdc.gov/radiation/index.asp

Then this link from our government mainly aimed at health providers but still useful info for the general public also-------- https://www.remm.nlm.gov/

Then there is this book "Nuclear War Survival Skills". Written by Cresson H. Kearny. He is the real deal and Every prepper should read and keep this book. Preferably in actual print format but here is a free PDF version for you cheap devils :) --- http://www.ki4u.com/nwss.pdf

And here is a link for some supplies from a good source and they also have a lot of valuable information on their website. ------ http://www.ki4u.com/

These two links below are from the above site and just have some valuable info about nuke war fallout and such without a bunch of hype.

http://www.ki4u.com/goodnews.htm - -
The Good News About Nuclear Destruction

http://www.ki4u.com/guide.htm - -
WHAT TO DO IF A NUCLEAR DISASTER IS IMMINENT!

Now read and get some factual information so you can make a wise decision about this aspect of prepping.

Plus don't forget about the old rule of thumb. :)

dguDfm.png.jpg

For every 100 pounds per square foot of material between you and the source your radiation exposure is cut in half. That is 2 feet of dirt, sand or concrete. Bear in mind that modern nukes are detonated at 1 to 5 miles above the ground to increase their blast effectiveness but it reduces the amount of fallout greatly. if you can get underground it is best but you need to plan the top covering to limit your exposure to the radiation. The radiation or most of it will dissipate in two weeks. The initial radiation will cause faster and more serious effects than residual radiation. You exposure to initial radiation is governed by your distance from the blast and the stuff between you and the blast. The initial radiation is only present during the blast itself. It is composed of gamma and x-ray radiation. The residual radiation is caused by the effects of the initial radiation on objects it hits. Alpha particles can be rinsed off as they don't penetrate the skin or even a sheet of paper. Beta particles can penetrate skin but can be stopped with aluminum foil or heavy clothing. Both have to be discarded as radiation sources. Metal cans containing food should be discarded and destroyed as potential poison. Glass jars with metal lids present the same problem. We use the Tattler reusable plastic lids for all our canning. The jars and contents are safe from exposure to radiation.

The biggest problem will be the soil you grow your food in. It will absorb radiation and pollute the plants that grow in it. You will need to scrape the top six inches and build new soil from there.

. For every 100 pounds per square foot of material between you and the source your radiation exposure is cut in half. That is 2 feet of dirt, sand or concrete. Bear in mind that modern nukes are detonated at 1 to 5 miles above the ground to increase their blast effectiveness but it reduces the amount of fallout greatly. if you can get underground it is best but you need to plan the top covering to limit your exposure to the radiation. The radiation or most of it will dissipate in two weeks. The initial radiation will cause faster and more serious effects than residual radiation. You exposure to initial radiation is governed by your distance from the blast and the stuff between you and the blast. The initial radiation is only present during the blast itself. It is composed of gamma and x-ray radiation. The residual radiation is caused by the effects of the initial radiation on objects it hits. Alpha particles can be rinsed off as they don't penetrate the skin or even a sheet of paper. Beta particles can penetrate skin but can be stopped with aluminum foil or heavy clothing. Both have to be discarded as radiation sources. Metal cans containing food should be discarded and destroyed as potential poison. Glass jars with metal lids present the same problem. We use the Tattler reusable plastic lids for all our canning. The jars and contents are safe from exposure to radiation.

The biggest problem will be the soil you grow your food in. It will absorb radiation and pollute the plants that grow in it. You will need to scrape the top six inches and build new soil from there.

This is one reason that I think a root cellar has a good purpose. There are many reasons, but if built right, it would be a good place to stay during a nuclear event.

Most of the historical data I've read included modern medical analysis on the radiation exposure and the Chernobyl accident has provided modern science with it's most revealing radiation release to date as Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster has been a long line of coverups making Russian data far more reliable. The conclusion I've gotten is this. Flash exposure to Alpha and Beta is deadly only in a direct line of sight or for prolonged exposure above daily limits. The Gamma Radiation that falls as nuclear snow, contaminates everything until enough rain falls to wash it away kills more but over a much longer period thru cancer, thyroid damage in kids and tertiary poisoning or damage.
Simplest measure I've seen that could save you life minus lead shielding, activated carbon suits and supplied air respirators is trash bag ponchos and leggings when outside or exposed to dust and debris. The plastic garbage bags are readily available in most places and can be disposed of frequently to avoid contamination build up leading to dermal contamination.
Here is a good short radiation type description link. http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/faqs/radiationtypes.html

i'm not sure its possible to survive a nuclear war in a country the size of the UK, it would only take a few missiles to bracket the whole country and then we are all done for.
however that would result in M.A.D.-mutually assured destruction, and I don't even think fat rocket man in NK is that stupid.

i'm not sure its possible to survive a nuclear war in a country the size of the UK, it would only take a few missiles to bracket the whole country and then we are all done for.
however that would result in M.A.D.-mutually assured destruction, and I don't even think fat rocket man in NK is that stupid.
People survived Hiroshima and Nagasaki and they are thriving cities today so I'm guessing that GB will fare well enough. I imagine that Little Rocket Man is more into howling at the moon than actually attacking. If he attacked GB the USA would turn N. Korea into a glass parking lot. I hope the GB feels the same.

The bigger threat from N. Korea, in my opinion, is an EMP attack. That would cause the most damage but would guarantee retaliation. In the past we have paid his family to shut up for awhile. President Trump isn't playing that game and Kim doesn't know what to do. Kim lost face when President Trump walked out on the talks so he will sit back and lick his wounds for a bit.

The bigger risk right now, in my opinion, is Iran. They think that if they bring on Armageddon the 13th imam will appear and they will rule the world.

People survived Hiroshima and Nagasaki and they are thriving cities today so I'm guessing that GB will fare well enough. I imagine that Little Rocket Man is more into howling at the moon than actually attacking. If he attacked GB the USA would turn N. Korea into a glass parking lot. I hope the GB feels the same.

The bigger threat from N. Korea, in my opinion, is an EMP attack. That would cause the most damage but would guarantee retaliation. In the past we have paid his family to shut up for awhile. President Trump isn't playing that game and Kim doesn't know what to do. Kim lost face when President Trump walked out on the talks so he will sit back and lick his wounds for a bit.

The bigger risk right now, in my opinion, is Iran. They think that if they bring on Armageddon the 13th imam will appear and they will rule the world.
Nagasaki and Hiroshima were 2 cities and 2 bombs not an all out nuclear war.
I think your right about NK and its just to save "face" rather than start a war.
an EMP would just take us back to a pre industrial age I don't think it would actually kill anyone. something i'm not exactly opposed to.
Iran too is saber rattling, they wouldn't win a nuclear war and their country would be obliterated(even if they do get 72 virgins!!!)

an EMP would just take us back to a pre industrial age I don't think it would actually kill anyone. something i'm not exactly opposed to.
The emp its self might not kill many but the results of it would kill millions.

The emp its self might not kill many but the results of it would kill millions.
it might do, the ones that cant adapt to the new living conditions.
I don't worry too much about what the event might be, nothing I can do personally about that, what I do is prepare for what might come after, if others don't then that's their problem, I don't expect everyone to survive, far from it, the mortality rate will be huge.

Its not just about adapting. Where do the 8 million people in New York City go to find food and water without power. Or the 7 million in London. They are completely dependant on food being shipped in and water being pumped to them.

8.5 million in London now, they wont go anywhere, with the knife crime in the capital they wouldn't get out alive even if they tried, which they wont, city people will stay in the city.
the "golden horde" theory is a fantasy.

"Knife crime," I love it. Blaming everything on the knife, or the gun. I concur that most will stay, and die, in the big cities. Some portion will survive, they always do whether through luck or ability they will survive. Some will survive in the cities and some will escape the cities. When you're talking about cities with millions of people a few tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands wandering the lands scraping and scavenging is not unreasonable.

Let's compare these people to the TV zombies.
Wandering aimlessly? Yes
Constantly searching for food? Yes
A threat to your existence? Yes
Already dead but haven't fallen over? Yes
Devolved into cannibalism???

Take away the power and you have nothing that the modern world offers.
No sanitation - diseases spread, no clean water - people get sick and spread the illness, no fuel - people die from exposure, In the summer people will die from heat, All of these is exacerbated by no food, medical care and the loss of apparent control over ones own life. The illusion is gone and you face reality head on.
Most people don't know that just five to ten feet under them the earth is always 55F. That is warm enough to keep you alive in the winter and cool enough to keep you healthy in the summer. They don't know that you can get drinking water from the air, soil and anything that is green. All it takes is a collector of heat ad a cool cover that will allow the water to condense and a small collector to catch the water. The water is pure and clean no matter what else is around you. Food is easier, because most anything that walks, crawls, flies or swims is edible. There are a few exceptions to this but only a few. All grasses and their seeds are edible. You have to be careful with fruit and nuts. There is a simple way to test whether something is edible or not; put a small piece of the food between your teeth and cheek. If it burns it is bad, if it is soapy it is bad, if it is bitter it is likely bad. If it is sweet or sour it may be edible. Swallow that and wait an hour. If there are no signs of rejection then you can eat more of it. Blue berries are toxic if they are not ripe unless you cook them. Don't eat unripe blueberries or any of their cousins without cooking them.
Unless you know a lot about the local mushrooms let them be. Sometimes the only difference between poisonous and edible is where they grow.

We can survive anything, if we use some knowledge. Even Ebola virus can be beaten as long as you stay hydrated. The survival rate for Ebola is 80% if the victim is kept hydrated. Those are pretty good odds.

it is said in Britain we are 4 generations removed from the land, modern populations do not know where their food comes from, nearly half of our food in imported, that will stop post SHTF, most know nothing about the countryside and absolutely nothing about nature and growing stuff. even if they try to leave, which they wont, they wont get very far before they collapse with hunger, dehydration, sickness or violence from others.

i dont know if this is the right place to put this but this is a very interesting series by bobby akhart its a series, a novel but the guy is interesting. IF you have Kindle Unlimited you can read them foir free. Kindle Unlimited is about $10 a month, you can download and read as many books as you want and return them like a library. e3ven if you dont have a kindle you can download the kindle desktop app and read books that way.

Nuclear Winter Series (5 book series)

Nuclear war may kill millions.
Nuclear Winter will kill billions.

crud. the amazon link wont post , so here is the full title stuff if you want to look it up.

Kindle Edition

by Bobby Akart (Author) , Bobby Akart (Author)

i dont know if this is the right place to put this but this is a very interesting series by bobby akhart its a series, a novel but the guy is interesting. IF you have Kindle Unlimited you can read them foir free. Kindle Unlimited is about $10 a month, you can download and read as many books as you want and return them like a library. e3ven if you dont have a kindle you can download the kindle desktop app and read books that way.

Nuclear war may kill millions.
Nuclear Winter will kill billions.

crud. the amazon link wont post , so here is the full title stuff if you want to look it up.

Kindle Edition

by Bobby Akart (Author) , Bobby Akart (Author)
You need more than just books.
Everybody has these:
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/bol.5174/post-154209
I do! :thumbs:

It is more important for children because their bodies need more so to protect them from the radioactive Iodine you supply them with the tablets that replaces what the body uses with more than it needs so absorption of the bad stuff is impossible. That will protect their thyroid only. Adults need far less and can handle the situation without tablets.

Surviving the initial blast will depend on the size of the bomb, your proximity to ground zero, and the prevailing winds in your area. There are only three things that will protect you from radiation: Time, Distance, and Shielding.

If you have to be near a contaminated area, try to take care of business as quickly as possible and then get away from the area. The farther you can get from the radioactive source, the better off and safer you will be.

A basement is probably the best place to shelter if you have one. I hope this chart prints properly. This will give you the equivalency figures. Most people don't have access to sheet lead or lead-lined drywall, but you can use other materials for shielding. Hazmat suits will not protect you from radiation. They will protect you from contamination.

1647034814430.png

Last edited:
I was curious about fallout that would come my direction. Usually the jet stream from southern California goes south of us or north of us, but on occasion if there is a storm system it may come directly over our area. One can only guess but odds are the wind currents would spare my area if San Diego/Camp Pendleton were targeted, or if Los Angeles was targeted. If for some reason Nellis AFB was targeted just north of Las Vegas a ground detonation would be a major problem for fallout for me, if Area 51 was targeted with a ground detonation it would/should stay well north of me. An airburst would not be a problem for me unless for some reason one ended up in "nothing important' southern Utah.

Anyways, here is something I found that could occupy 15 or 20 minutes of your time. It wont be fun, but if you are far enough from a target it should/could be survivable. I am not making any "factual" claims as I am not an expert, opinions will vary, consult a doctor if you experience nausea or vomiting, headache or blurred vision, or constipation. Consult an experienced bar tender or cocktail waitress if you are feeling nervous, scared, or anxious, or if you know someone that is feeling nervous, scared, or anxious. (this last part is humor)

https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

I was curious about fallout that would come my direction. Usually the jet stream from southern California goes south of us or north of us, but on occasion if there is a storm system it may come directly over our area. One can only guess but odds are the wind currents would spare my area if San Diego/Camp Pendleton were targeted, or if Los Angeles was targeted. If for some reason Nellis AFB was targeted just north of Las Vegas a ground detonation would be a major problem for fallout for me, if Area 51 was targeted with a ground detonation it would/should stay well north of me. An airburst would not be a problem for me unless for some reason one ended up in "nothing important' southern Utah.

Anyways, here is something I found that could occupy 15 or 20 minutes of your time. It wont be fun, but if you are far enough from a target it should/could be survivable. I am not making any "factual" claims as I am not an expert, opinions will vary, consult a doctor if you experience nausea or vomiting, headache or blurred vision, or constipation. Consult an experienced bar tender or cocktail waitress if you are feeling nervous, scared, or anxious, or if you know someone that is feeling nervous, scared, or anxious. (this last part is humor)

https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

I'm glad you found that. I have seen it before but couldn't put my finger on it. Some questions to ask yourself about your area that might make you a target. Strategic Military bases could be targeted. Key Defense Contractors and Manufacturing could be contracted. Do we still have missile silos across the country? Major cities and business hubs, airports.

Do we still have missile silos across the country?
Yes. And you can thank DT. Peace thru strength. :thumbs:
One of the few things the 'Idiot in Chief' could not destroy. :)
Any country that pushes 'the big button' at us, will vanish from the global map.😳

primary targets:
International airports, Military hubs, training bases, naval supply bases, ship and aircraft building facilities, nuclear storage facilities, military C&C facilities, major financial hubs and large population centers.

secondary targets:
major power stations, commercial facilities, transportation hubs, major dams and oil production facilities.

The targets that are likely to generate highest fallout:
airports, manufacturing facilities, nuclear storage facilities, transportation hubs and major dams.

Latest posts

Back