Insulation finally done

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aklogcabin

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
We are building our new retirement home. Finally got the sheetrock installed last week and this last weekend we got the attic insulated. R-70 using blown in cellulose fiber insulation. 200 bags worth. We now have the cieling and the walls have r 21 rockwool fire n sound insulation. I will be installing 2" ridgid foam insulation, pinkboard, on the interior of the walls next. Adding another r 15. My goal is to use less than 300 gallons of diesel fuel for a year worth of heat and it will provide for nonstop hot water. As we have a boiler for in floor hydronic heating. The Kuma classic fuel oil drip stove keeps the house at 65 on half open. We will have 2 heating sources because we live in AK. And the Kuma drip stove doesn't use electricity. So ok during electrical outings.
This has been a milestone for us ! Now I can get the pinkboard up and then the plumbing n electrical done. Along with the interior walls.
We had some professional hangers do the drywall on the cieling. Traded some guns n cash. So good deal for everyone. Our wonderful son crawled between the trusses and helped us with the blown in insulation. 2 days in our attic. Great son that is always there when we ask. And he wants to finish the drywall taping too. He is adding on to the house he built for his family so we will be helping him too. Great to have him and family, 2 granddaughters and a marvelous wife. As our next door neighbors.
Hopefully we will get in as soon as possible. My ol worn out body is what it is. Trying to figure out a way to build the interior walls standing up. I need a knee replacement so getting on the floor won't work. I'll get it figured up.
Anyhows wanted to share our good news. Now I can take a day n take the grandkids out ice fishing, driving the snogos around. And fun stuff like that
20240213_144606.jpg
20240213_144530.jpg

Last edited:
Actually that is not a wood stove. It's isn't a fuel oil drip stove. No electricity needed. It's been keeping the inside near 65 with it only half on. And it's getting to near 0 at night. 25-30 day temperatures. And I haven't gotten much of the r15 pinkboard up yet

I'm getting the the interior walls installed. Then I can be doing the electrical wiring and plumbing also. It's nice to be able to install light switches or overhead lights where you want and have all the receptacles we want. Where we want. Beautiful wife wants the receptacles at least 24" off the floor. We are building so that if one of us needs a wheelchair some day. Like a large shower stall. Lots of work for a one man crew, glad I enjoy this work. And since we are building out of pocket we will own a new custom home outright

I'm getting the the interior walls installed. Then I can be doing the electrical wiring and plumbing also. It's nice to be able to install light switches or overhead lights where you want and have all the receptacles we want. Where we want. Beautiful wife wants the receptacles at least 24" off the floor. We are building so that if one of us needs a wheelchair some day. Like a large shower stall. Lots of work for a one man crew, glad I enjoy this work. And since we are building out of pocket we will own a new custom home outright
That is smart re. the outlets. The other thing is often the are in the middle of the wall but down low of course (I'm guessing the theory is they can reach more places) but that is often where a dresser or hutch or piece of furniture will go. If they are closer to passageways (doors), they are typically more convenient. (my opinion) Fun when it's custom and you can do your own thing.

That is so smart to plan ahead for the 'just in case'! I've worked with many seniors over the years, and having a 'senior friendly' home is important!

Latest posts

Back