Insulation for inside Septic Riser

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgab

Friend
Neighbor
Hi, I am having trouble locating septic tank suppliers (I am in Alberta). I currently have a pink 3-4" thick round Styrofoam insulation cover that sits inside the riser and a concrete cover that covers the opening. I am looking to replace the insulation as it is worn a bit and doesn't fit as snug as it should and comes loose when the water comes shooting back through the hole when the effluent in the discharge pipe drains back into the tank.

What are some of the options for products? Just replace the Styrofoam? Or is there a cover with the insulation built into the lid that is plastic instead?

Thanks!

I'm confused in the sequencing of your manhole. First, there is the round concrete septic tank cover. On top of the concrete cover is the insulation, then on top of the manhole riser is the plastic cover....right? If so, I round just buy a 2" or 4" sheet of blue polystyrene foam, cut it to the appropriate size, and lay it on top of the concrete septic tank manhole cover.

Sorry. Here’s a picture. But yes. Just putting a piece of insulation on top of he riser and then the on top of that would result in the same thing.

Attachments

• 1D35A45A-245C-41ED-B110-E604DCDF160C.jpeg
    1D35A45A-245C-41ED-B110-E604DCDF160C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 66
Curious, do you have a concrete manhole cover that fits into the top of the septic tank? (ie, concrete cover under the pink insulation)? If so, that cover should we watertight and not allowing the effluent drainage to spray upward onto the insulation.

Curious, do you have a concrete manhole cover that fits into the top of the septic tank? (ie, concrete cover under the pink insulation)? If so, that cover should we watertight and not allowing the effluent drainage to spray upward onto the insulation.
You can see the cover off to the right. It goes on top of everything and weights a fair amount. I’m not sure if it would be considered water tight however as it’s just concrete on concrete.

Got it, thank you. I know that the Polylok company makes an insulation piece that fits onto the lid. Not sure if it would work on your concrete risers.

https://www.polylok.com/insulation-for-polylok-covers-prod-212.html
OK thanks will check it out. I'm wondering if placing a piece of insulation on top of the riser covering the hole then placing the concrete lid on it would solve my problem (quickly and inexpensive) of keeping the heat in and not falling in - basically what you mentioned prior.

Not really sure if the insulation is really doing all that much except keeping sludge icicles off of the lid, the frozen ground around the riser is going to transfer, the cold threw the rest of the concrete pretty quickly. your local sucker truck owner might be a good source for septic parts, or your local UFA store if it is not in a city.

I'm wondering if placing a piece of insulation on top of the riser covering the hole then placing the concrete lid on it would solve my problem (quickly and inexpensive) of keeping the heat in and not falling in - basically what you mentioned prior.

Instead of insulation underneath, what if you placed a thin black plastic mat on top that would absorb any sunlight and help raise the temperature of the concrete?

Latest posts

Back