Interesting deconstruction of a great song

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haertig

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This takes me back to early high school, or was it late junior high? I remember driving around with three of my friends in a car with "Mr. Birdwell", our Drivers Ed instructor, listening to this. It was extremely popular back at that time. The video is targeted at people with a musical background, but I think it would be fun to watch for anybody who wonders, as I do, "How come the music these days is nowhere near as good as back in my day?"

Scroll forward to the 2:50 point in the video to get past the not-terribly-exciting side story.

You must really be into music to appreciate this deconstruction so much. I think the big drawback here on the forum is judgment of the artist instead of music appreciation. I listened to his music long ago as well and he is a gifted musician. I was probably in middle school when he became so popular. When a concert was presented to the world in NYC for 911 with the rolling stones, Elton john performed also and I had no interest to ever see or hear either live ever again.
With both, their over-inflated egos were so preposterous that I was amazed either even draw a crowd. I have not listened to a stones song in more than 25 years, except for here and there where I have no choice. I tolerate John's music because it isn't nerve grating.
If we knew what some of their millions are donated to...conspiracy comments deleted.
:clapping:

Haertig that was cool. I'm not much of an EJ fan, some songs were pretty good. Funeral for a friend for example. But I just wasn't into that type music much.

The breakdown of the music was very good. I enjoy that a lot. I don't know music at all, but breaking out individual instruments is great. I've saw some shows that did that with albums, not to that extent in a song. I saw David Gilmore do that with Pick Floyds Dark Side of the Moon. That was soo good.
Thanks for posting this. Gonna try and find this guy doing other bands.

I love music of all genres as long as it’s good. I don’t like this song- sorry. I do like some EJ though- could care less about judging him for anything more than his music.

Before Elton came out of the closet but most knew he was a homoexual I had his 8tract,I liked the songs on Yellow Brick Road.I had about 20 different bands never saw him or Stones in concert. I don't know what anyone does in private but have heard most entertainers all have skelitins in their closets.
If I like the song don't care about thier sins leave that up to God,but if they are really bad and hurting others especially kids then I draw a line.
I like songs mama played and sang from 1920s thru 70s.Like many classic movie soundtracks and have CDs C&W,Rock,Johann Strauss, Bing Crosby,Patti Page The ThreeTenors,Temtations and lots of Rock.Only music I don't care for much is most all jazz and rap.Most classic in small doese now and then.

That was interesting. Thanks for the post. I guess I never really put that much thought or attention into the composition of a song. I don't like EJ as a person, but I do enjoy his music and he is clearly talented. It's not something I'd seek out, but if I'm listening to the easy listening station at work, music like this comes on quite frequently. It reminds me of my childhood, which was all good. My mom always had the radio on and she listened to pop or top 40 music.

I have noticed that music today doesn't really draw very many unique instruments into their songs. Back in the day, I liked Hall and Oats and Phil Collins. There, you'll hear sax's, trumpets, piano, etc. In contrast, I absolutely hate the bag pipes in AC/DC. That just annoys me to no end!

With both, their over-inflated egos were so preposterous that I was amazed either even draw a crowd. I have not listened to a stones song in more than 25 years, except for here and there where I have no choice. I tolerate John's music because it isn't nerve grating.
If we knew what some of their millions are donated to...conspiracy comments deleted.
:clapping:
I think over-inflated egos is so common for many performers, professional athletes, and all over-paid people of this world. The ego comes from so many people spending their little hard earned money on them that helps them to become obscenely wealthy. Also, when people see a well known person in public, they react as though they are seeing someone more important than God. I don't know why, but I was really young when I realized that I see so many of these as just people, who have succeeded at something, but nothing to fall over myself to be close to them or anything like that. I am sure I can insult someone like this without even trying. I'm never going to go gah-gah over them.

I worked in a school where former NFL player, Ed McCaffrey sent his children to pre-school, because the Catholic school they went to after didn't have pre-school. One of his children was in a classroom where the teacher had parents come and talk about careers. 3, 4, and 5 years in the classroom and Mr. McCaffrey is talking about being a Denver Bronco's player. One child asks him if he is John Elway. LOL! "No, but he is my friend." LOL!

I went to plenty of Rush concerts in my youth. They played frequently in Austin in the 70's, where I did my teenage growing up. At The Armadillo World Headquarters, and at The Paramount. I think I still have most of their early albums (on vinyl). 2112, Fly by Night, Rush, A Farewell to Kings... It's funny how our musical tastes change. This is not something I would listen to now (except for a short nostalgic moment), but I listened to plenty of it in my teens.

p.s. - I was looking at the three guys on the initial picture of this video saying, "I recognize them, but who are they?" Then the first one I recognized was Neil Peart (R.I.P.) You'd think Geddy Lee would be the standout, but for me it was Neil that I recognized before any of the others. Initially I thought, "What the heck is Malcomb McDowell doing in the picture???"

This one was pretty good too.

Last edited:
Kansas has been one of my favorite bands. Here is a Very good song, one of their biggest hits. Very good breakdown of it. I've saw a show where the members of the band did breakdowns of some of their music. Again nothing this intricate.

As a geeky Supernatural fan, I can't get enough of that song! I listened to Kansas and had their cassetts in my collection growing up. Still do. That guy is cool as hell. You can just tell he's having a great time.

Latest posts

Back