Interesting quote I ran into today.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerindel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
While reading a book about likely considerations for future warfare, 'Out of the Mountains" I cam across an interesting quote that stuck with me in an otherwise somewhat dull book.

"Security may be 10% of the problem, or 90% or anything between, but its always the FIRST 10% or FIRST 90% because without it, none of the rest of your plans are likely to happen"- Lieutenant colonel John Paul Vann, a vietnam war adviser

I think this is a good way to expressing something I've been trying to figure out how to say to beginning preppers for a long time in regards to how to think of the place of guns, walls, locks, bars on the windows, etc. in your preps. Depending on your situation, they may really be a small part of your overall work...but you have to start with sufficient security for your situation no matter what, even if its only 10% of your preps.

Last edited:
If you build bars on your windows be sure to have a good fire exit plan...

I prefer not to live in a jail. There are better alternatives.

While reading a book about likely considerations for future warfare, 'Out of the Mountains" I cam across an interesting quote that stuck with me in an otherwise somewhat dull book.

"Security may be 10% of the problem, or 90% or anything between, but its always the FIRST 10% or FIRST 90% because without it, none of the rest of your plans are likely to happen"- Lieutenant colonel John Paul Vann, a vietnam war adviser

I think this is a good way to expressing something I've been trying to figure out how to say to beginning preppers for a long time in regards to how to think of the place of guns, walls, locks, bars on the windows, etc. in your preps. Depending on your situation, they may really be a small part of your overall work...but you have to start with sufficient security for your situation no matter what, even if its only 10% of your preps.

Really good quote and observations.

While your post is focused on the importance of physical security, these days we also need to think about information and digital security. Regardless, all of this is important.

One thing I learned about security while in the military, what is your deception plan? This applies to both physical and information security.

If you build bars on your windows be sure to have a good fire exit plan...

I prefer not to live in a jail. There are better alternatives.

It was just an example. I built my house with no windows larger than 9" across on ground floors so I don't need bars.

But I have no fire exit plan. My plan is to put out the fire.

I like the distinction of thinking in things in terms of "first" or an order of operations rather than in 'most important'.

For instance, it could be easily argued that your water supply is you're most important prep.

But the 'first' prep should be security as without security you can't even start to look for water safely, or keep the water supply you already have etc. The water may indeed be more important in the scheme of things, but must be secured first.

When someone asks "What is the most important prep" what they should really be asking is what is the 'first' prep, which may be very different than the most important. I really do think of my physical security preps as only about 10% of my problems here and try to make that a formal thing, ie, if I spend $500 on a new glock, it should only be after spending $5,000 on food, water, fuel housing, etc. but it is the 'first 10%'.

One way to think of it could be that 'advanced prepping' is when you have taken care of all the 'first' preps and are able to move onto the 'important' ones.

I like the distinction of thinking in things in terms of "first" or an order of operations rather than in 'most important'.

For instance, it could be easily argued that your water supply is you're most important prep.

But the 'first' prep should be security as without security you can't even start to look for water safely, or keep the water supply you already have etc. The water may indeed be more important in the scheme of things, but must be secured first.

When someone asks "What is the most important prep" what they should really be asking is what is the 'first' prep, which may be very different than the most important. I really do think of my physical security preps as only about 10% of my problems here and try to make that a formal thing, ie, if I spend $500 on a new glock, it should only be after spending $5,000 on food, water, fuel housing, etc. but it is the 'first 10%'.

One way to think of it could be that 'advanced prepping' is when you have taken care of all the 'first' preps and are able to move onto the 'important' ones.
Agreed.

It we can secure our protection. Early on it allows us to turn to efforts that will let us thrive in the extra 90%.

Ben

If you can't keep or protect what you have it doesn't make much sense to have it. Someone will just take it away from you. Good quote. Thanks for sharing.

How did I miss this Gem? :cool:
...Depending on your situation, they may really be a small part of your overall work...but you have to start with sufficient security for your situation no matter what, even if its only 10% of your preps.

Yep, sometimes it's the 'Smallest things that can Undo Everything'..

The-presence-of-O-rings.png
🤔 (only 1/4" Thick! and yet...o_O

..Something even as Simple (as you have many-times pointed out..) as having your Main Entry Door(s) open Outward - vs the 'easily kick-in / breachable', Inward swing, and having it be Solid - Not the typical chinsy melamine-skinned MDF-over-Corrugated crap-door. :rolleyes:

..And, single or even Double-pane - but Large enough to Enter-into - glass windows.. Even just a layer / two of 12 mil 'anti-smash film' applied will, at the Least, 'buy-more time'..

Great Quote / Post / Advice. :cool:
jd

To me "security" is included with-in "shelter".

My survival priority list (most critical at top)

Air to breath
Shelter
Water
Food

Shelter includes clothing, umbrella, special weather gear, all things that protect the human body. Yes, this includes firearms.

Looking back upon this dated thread, wrought iron bars can be installed with quick release latches... I never much liked bars on my windows, for the same reason Sheepdog mentioned (looks like a jailhouse), but one could rig up the necessary mounting hardware and then toss the bars in place once the SHTF. Joel Skousen wrote books on secure & self-sustaining homes, and his tips are often useful: using metal doors instead of wooden doors, for instance, as they can't be kicked in or burned down so easily. If some perp shows up with a cutting torch, well, you'll just have to SHOOT that wanker, lol... ;)

If I ever hit the Big Time and have money to spend, I'm gonna build a stone castle with all the amenities: moat & drawbridge, portcullis, firing ports, good fields of fire, steam valve sprayer & industrial bucket system for dumping boiling oil on attackers, etc. Maybe throw a few crocs or gators into the moat, lol... the castle will be an expensive PITA to heat during the winter, but it should be relatively cool in the summer. :cool:

To me "security" is included with-in "shelter".

My survival priority list (most critical at top)

Air to breath
Shelter
Water
Food

Shelter includes clothing, umbrella, special weather gear, all things that protect the human body. Yes, this includes firearms.
I like that quote. I'd add that your water needs security as well. You can have a secure shelter that a tank couldn't knock down, but is your well vulnerable? How about everything else? Could you protect most or all of your stores? What about your animals? Vehicles and fuel?

In truth nothing is 100% secure, we can only make it so hard to take that bad guys look for easier targets.

I like that quote. I'd add that your water needs security as well. You can have a secure shelter that a tank couldn't knock down, but is your well vulnerable? How about everything else? Could you protect most or all of your stores? What about your animals? Vehicles and fuel?

In truth nothing is 100% secure, we can only make it so hard to take that bad guys look for easier targets.
Yep.

One way to look at security is in the following stages:

Deter
Detect
Delay
Respond

A "LOT" of food is buried in the undisturbed Seven "MILLION" acre National Forest.

I'd add that your water needs security as well. You can have a secure shelter that a tank couldn't knock down, but is your well vulnerable? How about everything else? Could you protect most or all of your stores? What about your animals? Vehicles and fuel?
I live in a village with ten other humans. If the SHTF everyone but me and possibly one other would leave quickly. The village is in a valley ten miles long, inside a seven-million-acre National Forest. No one would come here looking for survival needs.

I figure if the SHTF 25% to 35% of Alaskans would haul'ass to America in first 6 months. Some, a very few would come here post SHTF, but their learning curve would be God awful steep. I would guess that 18 months post SHTF, the population in Alaska would 30% of current. (All the above is extremely conservative in my opinion) 38 years as a "Professional Hunter" I know most new'bee's to Alaska would wish they never came post SHTF.

a) ...If I ever hit the Big Time and have money to spend, I'm gonna build a stone castle with all the amenities: moat & drawbridge, portcullis, firing ports, good fields of fire, steam valve sprayer & industrial bucket system for dumping boiling oil on attackers,

b) ...will be an expensive PITA to heat during the winter, but it should be relatively cool in the summer.

a) Aerindel is the Man ya wanna talk to for that - Cuz that's pretty much Exactly what He Built / Lives in :cool: I won't presume to post / ref his Pix, but I think you may find some of that Amazing story / Incredible build if you search up "Tower" and adding his name in "By Member". 🤔 (and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that it did Not take 'Big Time money' to accomplish.. At least to get Started / a "shell"..)

b) Two words for ya: Strawbale & Stucco. :cool:

jd

Last edited:
"A life lived well is a life lived twice."

Although this famous quote is referring to reminiscing, my frame of thought was the life I lived in the city compared to now.

City life was more fake and less significant. I felt like I was watching things happen on a big screen. My contributions were seemingly insignificant. I was an indistinguishable face amongst a million other faces. I was a little cog in a big machine. Even if I took an impromptu day off, called in sick or whatever, life went on without skipping a beat. The mood swings of my boss, my bosses boss and his boss had profound effects on my quality of life!

A homestead in comparison is an oasis? You participate in life! You get dirt and grime on you. You bleed. Experience pain. Loss. And joy. You matter more. If you miss a day, the world around you is immediately effected. You are in constant reminder of the natural relationship between cause and effect. And your status is of a magical giving and wise ruling King, especially if you have livestock?

A life lived twice? Before and after the homestead.

I figure if the SHTF 25% to 35% of Alaskans would haul'ass to America in first 6 months. Some, a very few would come here post SHTF, but their learning curve would be God awful steep. I would guess that 18 months post SHTF, the population in Alaska would 30% of current. (All the above is extremely conservative in my opinion) 38 years as a "Professional Hunter" I know most new'bee's to Alaska would wish they never came post SHTF.

I think 90% of the population of fairbanks would be dead in 48 hours 'The big one' happened in winter. Most people there are completely dependent on electricity, and lots of it, for hour to hour survival.

It was something that always made me very nervous when I live there.

Back