Quantcast

Intermittent Fasting

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Neb

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I hear you Morgan. One of my favorite all time snacks is string cheese. Just love it.....and of coarse, it is considered a healthy snack by the 'experts'. It's really not healthy b/c it spurs on cravings and pushes me to snack in the evenings. String cheese was one of those things that I always had several packages of in the frig. It's time to back off of my old favorite standby. :( I've elimated most dairy from my diet, but cheese is my nemesis! I never say never. I don't want to completely eliminate anything from my diet b/c then I'll want it even more. Yeah, I'm stubborn that way. So......I tell myself I can have anything I want......just not ALL the time. If losing weight and being completely healthy means that I could no longer have pizza and beer.....then I will opt for a fatter, shorter, yet happier life. Finding that balance is the trick, but I think I can still have pizza and beer AND still maintain an overall healthy lifestyle. Moderation.....

I have found that weighing myself once per week helps to keep things in check, although not completely. I watched the numbers creep up the past few months and did little to stop it. Then, the scale flashed that dreaded number that I just couldn't accept. I could see it in my face and other areas, but I was still in denial. The scale doesn't lie. The jeans don't lie. I have to ramp up my standards and lower that number on the scale that I feel is just unacceptable. I did that this time, so if I close in on that lower number, then it will be time for another 2-3 day fast and another re-set. I just need to stay committed! The turtle wins the race.

Yes, it is very satsifying for sure. The feeling after the fact is awesome too. I fasted another 17 hours today without even trying b/c I just wasn't hungry, mostly b/c I was busy. It's way easier to make healthy food choices when you're not hungry or fighting cravings.

I didn't really get light headed but my workout yesterday and today were tough to get through. They were tough workouts anyways and I should have picked out an easier one for today but I know I'm still in ketosis and wanted to take advantage of the fat buring mode. I don't workout on weekends typically, so at least now I have a couple of days to recover. I noticed some calf cramping too, so I mixed up an electrolyte drink to combat that. Otherwise, I had no other negative side effects.
I am convinced our stomachs produce digestive juices based on when was fed yesterday. Going 3 days your stomach didn't feel hungry.

Ben

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Without insulin spikes, there are no cravings. That's not to say that there aren't hunger pangs every now and again. But a bit of will power can overcome that.

If I eat a carb heavy meal before bed, I wake up hungry. If I eat a carb heavy snack or early day meal, I will be hungry again in an hour or so. But during a fast, even if I don't physically have those cravings, it's still a hurdle to get out of my head about not eating for days. It's an automatic switch in my head that I have to concentrate on shutting off. By the third day, I am concentrating on that end goal and making my plan to get there. 7pm was my goal and I was focused on that hour for sure. The next time I do this, I just need to remeber the euphoric feeling after the fact and also remember how much stuff I got done!

bamadeb48

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I have type 2 diabetes, I really need to fast. I used to work nights, and when I came home eat, now I am retired and still want to eat at night, as soon as it gets dark, I am craving something, I crave sweets way too much, I don't buy any, so I cannot eat them,, Doc said I could not do the Keto diet.. but I need to get over this craving stuff at night... I can go all day and eat in the afternoon, I am on Trulicity so that curbs my appetite some, lost 13 lbs, I am on one insulante shot per night and 1 500 mil. metforum in the morning and one at bedtime.. need to get my AIC down to 7 and below, it was 8.9, but down to 7-4, working on getting it down so I want have to take metforum any more.

Cnsper

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have type 2 diabetes, I really need to fast. I used to work nights, and when I came home eat, now I am retired and still want to eat at night, as soon as it gets dark, I am craving something, I crave sweets way too much, I don't buy any, so I cannot eat them,, Doc said I could not do the Keto diet.. but I need to get over this craving stuff at night... I can go all day and eat in the afternoon, I am on Trulicity so that curbs my appetite some, lost 13 lbs, I am on one insulante shot per night and 1 500 mil. metforum in the morning and one at bedtime.. need to get my AIC down to 7 and below, it was 8.9, but down to 7-4, working on getting it down so I want have to take metforum any more.
There is a pastor in Texas that has a YouTube channel called beat diabetes. You have probably already heard the names Fung and berry

Spikedriver

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
@bamadeb48 I'm a type 1 diabetic since age 15. I'm 48 now. So I know what you're talking about. Since you're on insulin, you do need some carbs to help regulate that. But you could probably do a modified Keto or "Keto lite" type of diet. Cutting out potatoes is a good start. I rarely eat them or rice any more, although I do eat whole grain bread.

I don't know what your activity level is, but if you're not exercising, do it more. If you are exercising, keep it up and increase if possible. My A1C runs between 6.3 and 7.2 in the last few years. Exercise helps open up your cells to the glucose in your system and helps keep them open in the hours immediately afterward. Plus it's good for heart and lungs and helps weight loss. I HIGHLY recommend weightlifting if you're able to do it. Adding some muscle will raise your metabolism and help lower your glucose.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
If I had any type of chronic condition requiring any meds, I'd check with my doctor first before trying a fasting regime. Then, I'd start slowly and gradually increase from there. That's what I did. If I felt weird or just didn't have the fortitude to fast that day, it was simple to break the fast. No fuss....no muss. I found out that it was more of a game with myself to increase fasting times and frequency.

In my research, the Mediterranean Diet seems to be in heavy favor right now due to the focus on Omega 3's. Even if you can't fast due to a health condidition, I think leaning towards that type of diet would be beneficial.

Latest posts