Internet in Rural Areas

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't have one of these next to your house...
Outdoor-Transformer-Power-Pole.jpg

And there is one of these nearby instead...
View attachment 156233
You are golden! 😍
Fast internet is great, but power that never goes out, is priceless!!! :thumbs:
That's good until someone crashed into it with vehicle or it floods or it gets picked up by a tornado or hurricane. But, nothing is perfect. Still better than powerlines getting knocked down, dipping into water, sparking while lines jump all over the roads. I remember when Guam got hit with supertyphoon Paka and the lines were all over the streets-- except for out in Inarajan area where the entire road and everything in the area got sandblasted off the island and the entire cemetery got carried away.

So, it's looking like SwyftConnect will be available in my area next month. This site had the pricing: https://broadbandnow.com/swyftconnect
But I don't know if that is accurate. They may charge less or they may charge more. They don't show their TV package pricing yet. I'm interested in their Core Tier package. There is only one station in Core Plus that I would want-- Cooking channel, but I can probably find episodes of stuff I want online or elsewhere. I can live without that channel. I really wish they would let me choose which ones I want and exclude ones I don't want and be able to build my own package of channels. It would be a small one because there are tons of channels I never watch. I'm also looking in to VOIP options. Is there a thread on that?

That's good until someone crashed into it with vehicle or it floods or it gets picked up by a tornado or hurricane.
Vehicles: The boxes are always more than 15 feet away from the street (notice I didn't say road). I have never seen one get hit.
Floods: Every one around here has been flooded. They just shut the power off when the water comes up, and turn it back on when they dry out.
Good to go!
Wind: The houses they are connected to will be completely gone long before the first one moves.
And don't forget they are also tied to the ground with a lot of big heavy cables.

You keep loving your overhead power lines... because the trees slamming them to ground sure do.

As I said somewhere

I have no cellphone 0
Cuz I dont need a *leash* when I leave my house 😛

I decided no more TV 👍
I want to see something I go on internet

I have landline phone only
I have 3 plugged phoned Vtech (all is perfect)

Package deal included:

Phone
Long distance FREE anywhere 0.00$
USA- Canada - Europe

Internet
Unlimited Internet high speed

$105. MONTHLY

Vehicles: The boxes are always more than 15 feet away from the street (notice I didn't say road). I have never seen one get hit.
Floods: Every one around here has been flooded. They just shut the power off when the water comes up, and turn it back on when they dry out.
Good to go!
Wind: The houses they are connected to will be completely gone long before the first one moves.
And don't forget they are also tied to the ground with a lot of big heavy cables.

You keep loving your overhead power lines... because the trees slamming them to ground sure do.
I'm so used to Murphy's Law applying. I absolutely despise my overhead powerlines and would prefer the underground ones and those boxes if we could have them. Even with the things that could go wrong for the ground ones, it's much less likely for those things to happen than for the overhead lines to get borked. I'd take those boxes in a heartbeat.

Same situation with the TV antenna. No longer have tuners. The 50ft tower that our starlink dish is tethered to used to be for a TV antenna but hurricanes brought the antenna down.

If our landline wasn't so unreliable and expensive I'd stick with it, but it sucks. Found out the Core TV package from SwyftConnect is $106 and some change plus taxes. Not sure if that is standalone price or bundled price as I had to subtract the internet service prices from the bundle price they told me. All of the internet options are below what we're paying now and the $106 is considerably less than what we're paying for Dishnetwork. Won't even need a DVR thingy with the core package because it lets you stream whenever you want. No more worrying about missing a program, power going out, or losing satellite signal and not getting it recorded. We'll lose everything we loaded via DVR on Dishnetwork when we send the equipment back to them, but that is no big deal. We may be able to back it all up to a portable hard drive.

Back