Internet

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, the numbers some of y'all post can make a person envious. This is our internet on a good day when no one else in the county is using it. As soon as the kids get home from school it drops off to about 1.3 meg on the download, and stays that way til after midnight. Very very frustrating but no other options unless we look at satellite but I've heard bad things about it.
1644631666840.png

I will update that Starlink needs clear unobstructed view of north, west, and east skies. We have an obstruction to the east so we need a taller pole. The obstruction causes interference every 5 to 6 minutes. My brother didn't know how to use the app properly when setting it up/testing. So we need to make the pole taller.

I found this video of someone setting up their Starlink Gen2 (or how he set it up) and what accessories he used. He has some good video shots of the details of the shape and such of the cables, ends, and router.

Sorry I was away from the site for a while. Was the search for land for a while. So I have a choice of small land as 2.5 acres. At least I could mess around and learn how it works. If I decide to go for big. I will buy bigger land. I'm going to be only one person on the land. I don't think I'll need 10 or more acres. Anyway While middle nowhere. How do you access the internet? Right now I'm in Michigan in one of the large cities. I'll stay here until I paid off the property. The property located in Navajo, Arizona I have a plan for a house, I have few ideas. But one thing bothers me... Internet. There's no electric line anywhere near that property. I will use a solar panel to power up the house. Still, the Internet... Everyone told me dish/satellite is worst during storms. But I don't know for fact. Since you guys are here. I'm sure some of you are off the grid too. So... How? What about Starlink? I heard it's a new technology

What I previously did living in an rv full-time was a sim card in a cradle point or hotspot. But the new place has low signal. Looking to install an antenna and point it at the nearest cell tower. It's far from high-speed but I should be able to surf the web and watch movies. Also thinking about Netflix. They seem to be the only streaming service that will allow you to DL a movie to watch later from phone/tablet.

Every time you pay a internet bill you pay a tax somewhere in there. Some of that tax money goes to help out "underserved" areas. So here in montana we sometimes have fast fiber optic service in some of the oddest places.
Keep paying those taxes.
Altho there are some other areas......
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzmontana.jpg

We've had very good results with Hughes, about a year ago I was having some issues, called them up and they said it was probably the modem, sent me a new one and it took care of the issue. They installed the satellite under my two foot roof overhang, no rain or snow gets on it, never had any signal problems. Since we have the lowest monthly costs, the best time for GB usage is after 2:00 AM, if we ran the internet during the day, we would run out of regular time very quickly. Also the new modem has Wi-Fi which we didn't have with the first one.

When I had Hughesnet they always denied any problem being on their end. It took me 2 hours to get them to let me order a new modem when mine got fried. Getting them to do anything was like pulling teeth with extra roots. We did have the late night free zone thing but they would often have outages and take things down for maintenance then and the service would go out when a bee sneezed. They would have network outages on completely sunny days and blame everything from sunspots to needing to power cycle the modem. At least once per day I had to remove the coax cable, touch the end to static discharge, and then reconnect (after unplugging the modem). While the modem was unplugged it would not restore bandwidth.

But I guess your mileage will vary with them. They seemed nice at the very start but the longer we had the service the worse it got and the nastier/ruder the customer service got.

Latest posts

Back