Investing "OUTSIDE" the box for SAFE profits.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
What are you investing in, (Other than Gold/Silver) that you feel safe about the profitability going forward..??

My best investment over the last 24 months was a total "accident". I take zero credit for the result. Fueled by fear I started purchasing large quantities of case goods, mostly meat. Strangely, I only recently fully realized how profitable this accident had been.

Fueled by fear I started purchasing large quantities of case goods, mostly meat. Strangely, I only recently fully realized how profitable this accident had been.
I would consider that speculation rather than investing. You purchased this out of fear, and it may (currently) be profitable because of other peoples fear. But when that general fear subsides, you may end up with a bunch of canned meat that you can't get rid of at any price. Like the speculators that now have garages full of toilet paper and hand sanitizer.

I would say, if you want a profit from your canned meat, sell it now and bank the profits. If you hang on to it, as an investment, you might end up losing your shirt on it. However, since you can eat it yourself, depending on the quantity that you bought, it might not be a total loss. I would buy enough for family prepping, but not beyond that and into speculation territory.

We are not moving a lot of investments around at the moment. We're pretty happy with where they sit currently, because surviving a financial crisis was part of our plan all along. It's not a last minute "reshuffle everything" deal for us just because things don't look so rosy at the moment.

One tip on things that may be "safe" (well, as safe as they can be): invest in things that are necessary, but not made by a lot of companies. It's also a pretty good plan to hold back on investing in companies owned or operating out of China or Russia. You might want to re-think that strategy based on current world events and tensions.

Copper and lithium but no guarantee safe.

We purchased more land but that is long term thing.

Been investing in grape vines and fruit trees.

Capital One since people are using credit cards to get by not safe.

Ben

Last edited:
What are you investing in, (Other than Gold/Silver) that you feel safe about the profitability going forward..??
Bought AbbVie stock at $67.30 .
If you look at the outrageous prices they get for their patent-medicines, they ain't goin' nowhere!
They send me money every 3 months (dividends).
*Required disclaimer: This is not investment advice.

With inflation north of 20% food is a good investment. Not for resale, just to purchase at a better price. It is a good place to park cash right now. I'd have over twice what I have in food, unfortunately my wife refuses to accept the potential.

Geesh...it's even obvious in butter prices. Last year, $1.89 a lb at Aldi. Now it's $4 a lb there, higher at Kroger. I've got alot in the freezer. And not just butter, but sugar, flour, oil, canned foods. Buy it cheap, store it so it'll keep, and it's a better investment than our CD interest, for sure.
I think Sourdough made a great buy on his canned meat. The price will not be going down. And he has food to eat.

The answer depends on what you mean by 'investment'. Do you mean something that will increase or maintain value for 5, 10, 15, 20 or more years?

For shorter term 5-10 (maybe even 15).....anything you are going to need between now and then that won't go bad and that won't break you if a fire or some other disaster hits. Food definitely fits here. Starring potential hyperinflation in the face, I'd say any small appliances, clothing, or other tangibles would be good. Again, keeping in mind the things you use often if not daily, like spare coffee makers, toothbrushes, toasters, pots & pans, bath towels, soaps, sunglasses, shoes, etc. These aren't necessarily investments (as in money makers), but they are money savers if you can stock up before more inflation hits.

For longer than 15 years.....Precious metals, land, equipment that you can make money with, guns, ammo, and tools would be good. Almost all of those things will likely outlast you or me and maintain or increase value over time.

There's also always going to be rich people out there who want to buy things that remind them of their past. Collectibles could be a very good investment in that regard. Whether it be poke'mon cards, comic books, baseball cards, vintage video games, old coins, etc. I wouldn't necessarily go looking for that stuff (unless available at a garage sale), but I wouldn't get rid of it either. I have some things like that and have put a note in with our Will that if we die these things have more value than they realize and to research the values before getting rid of it. I kept some of my childhood collectibles that are actually worth quite a bit now. I'd never get rid on them, but my kids have no attachment to them so I wouldn't blame them if they sold it off.

Basically we try and invest in a happy future. We dabble in a bit of almost everything, but we try and focus on what makes us most happy. So, we spend money on property improvements every year. Maybe we finish off a room or build a woodshed or make a new raised bed or plant a row of trees down the propety line or build another blind, etc. We actually have a couple of those things on the schedule for this year. I figure if we're gonna invest in something we might as well enjoy it now as well as in the future.

i use to pick up all these clearance items out of sporting goods. often i would grab every pack or box. at one point i thought you are crazy just how much do you need. then 2020 came...all of 2020 you couldnt get..just as one example..fishing gear. ..no hooks,no line,rods and reels etc. hell you couldnt even find a bicycle. now you dont see clearance items much and cost of stuff has gotten so high. to be honest i cant afford some of it now. take broadheads...one i use use to be sold for $20 for 3 pack. i use to get them from distributor for half price because i used a bunch so i just bought them in gross numbers for $10. i can no longer buy them that way and shelf price for these are now $40. i seen broadheads now as high as $70. i mean they are either lock up or has a security buzzer thingy because of them being stolen. i use to get SS hooks in bulk boxes cheap...not anymore.

fruit trees,axes and tools all are high priced...hell everything is high priced to me now.

best thing every was my land...i live with only paying yearly taxes and up keep etc. i know folks paying huge monthly rent now.rent is money flushed down the toilet.

the list goes on and on

Can't find a better place to put this, so here is my daily poop:
I finally got shed of my BP stock.
55306-5157282bb7881bb15a9334ff16a4585f.data

It finally broke out of the red into the green yesterday for the first time in 3 years so I put a sell order in last night. It went thru today. :thumbs:
It paid a pretty good dividend but the 68¢ ADR fee drove me nuts!gaah
It wasn't that much but I need to find something else to put the $5K into.
Something reliable that pays a good dividend...🤔
Edit: Hah! The BP dividend paid on the 31st, even though the stock was long gone!:ghostly:
Oh, and I put it up for sale at $37.65 and got $38.18/share for it. It hasn't been that high since.:woo hoo:

Last edited:
I finally got shed of my BP stock.
55306-5157282bb7881bb15a9334ff16a4585f.data

It wasn't that much but I need to find something else to put the $5K into.
Something reliable that pays a good dividend...🤔
I got to looking and I had only gotten a half-ration of WMB stock so I put in a buy order for 170 shares at $29.90 Friday morning and was puzzled when the date showed up as 04-10. Then I remembered that the markets were closed for good-friday :(.
The buy went thru when the market opened this morning and I got it for $29.68 :woo hoo:
(it's at $29.86 now and had been above $29.91 at 10am today)
I love that stuff because it religiously pays a tasty 6.06% dividend.:D

Last edited:
The buy went thru when the market opened this morning and I got it for $29.68 .
I think I hit it right. :thumbs:
It is at $30.28 now:
Screenshot_20230411-130756.png

...Y'all should have never started a thread with "investing" in the title!:oops:
Edit: ($.60 x 170 shares= $102)

Last edited:
I think I hit it right. :thumbs:
It is at $30.28 now:
View attachment 106956
...Y'all should have never started a thread with "investing" in the title!:oops:
Edit: ($.60 x 170 shares= $102)
Off topic here (or maybe not)….how did your learn to invest? Did you take a course or courses? Particular books?

Off topic here (or maybe not)….how did your learn to invest? Did you take a course or courses? Particular books?
My mama taught me the ropes and then I started studying it deeply on my own because it was so fascinating, instead of reading books written by people that have to make a living writing books because they can't make enough money investing.
(That may be a run-on sentence :()
Like when she told me: "Take this stock as an example, you do know that you can buy it, and hundreds of others directly from the companies, cutting out all of the brokers and middle-men?"
My jawbone hit the floor!:eyeballs:

Last edited:
If you're new to investing, start a paper portfolio. At least that is what it used to be called?

Nowadays, it's a common high school classroom assignment. Give yourself 100 grand make believe money and distribute it, track it, and so begins the learning. Modern hint: Google finance has the option of using their software to track your portfolio. It doesn't have to be real money?

I'm a book reader. Read a variety. Especially from the masters: Buffet, munger, town, leach, bogle, greenblat, ackman, burry... (Spelling?) Those billionaires don't need any revenue from a book sale. And they're timeless information, mostly. Most often, they are trying to share their knowledge to help others. Hint: the higher you scale the Wheaton mountain, the more you understand.

Start with major benchmark index. Basic two bucket stuff. Keep individual stocks less than 10%. Learn appropriate allocation. And apply it. Hint: at any given time, 90% of the best traders get beat by the market! Advanced hint: Google Warren buffet million dollars bet. Learn it and ponder it for a long time. Great deep lessons to be realized from that single story which was a publicity stunt from a man trying to make a point that is brutally suppressed by the multi trillion dollar industry!

practical intelligence , figure out how to package it and your a billionaire.
people rely on me to fix their machines when others can't. A skill that takes decades to develop, other people can change parts, but how few can build them ??

Way back in the day I took a coarse offered by a company. If I remember correctly, it was a 3 day event called 'teach me to trade' or something like that. It was expensive at the time but I learned a lot so it was worth it to me. However, today I would just get online and start looking at youtube channels and read books. Once you get the jargon down, it's not that bad. It's just like every specialty in that you have to understand the language.

I used tools like the Investopedia.com simulator to do practice trading on their website. Then I got a Scottrade account and traded on my own. I quit doing it b/c it made a mess out of my income taxes. It just wasn't worth it for me. If you just plan to buy and hold, that is one thing, But when you trade on a routine basis, which is where you can make decent money, you have to keep meticulous track of everything. Maybe it's easier now, but it was just a hobby for me back then and it wasn't worth the bother.

None of that was taught in my high school and it wasn't taught in my kids high school either. Although, I think it would be an excellent class to offer.

If you're new to investing, start a paper portfolio. At least that is what it used to be called?

Nowadays, it's a common high school classroom assignment. Give yourself 100 grand make believe money and distribute it, track it, and so begins the learning. Modern hint: Google finance has the option of using their software to track your portfolio. It doesn't have to be real money?
Start with major benchmark index. Basic two bucket stuff. Keep individual stocks less than 10%. Learn appropriate allocation. And apply it. Hint: at any given time, 90% of the best traders get beat by the market! Advanced hint: Google Warren buffet million dollars bet. Learn it and ponder it for a long time. Great deep lessons to be realized from that single story which was a publicity stunt from a man trying to make a point that is brutally suppressed by the multi trillion dollar industry!
I got to thinking about this post, and how important it is.
Anybody that is new to investing can start with "play money" and see how they would do, before they start using 'real money'.

I was offered $11,000.00 for 4.98 acres & I laugh at it.
Land not for sale, but it would have to be $50,000.00 before I would even stop to talk about it.

I like land as an investment too. However, unless you can use it to pay you back somehow like taking resources from it (wood, gravel, sand, topsoil, etc.) or renting it (to hunters, campers, farmers, etc.), it can be expensive to hold. Property taxes in my area are no joke.

You also have to guard land just like any other asset. People are jerks and will steal wood or squat on your land if you're not paying attention.

Now is not the time for noobs to learn.

Ben
Well since I lost my virginity a long time ago :rolleyes:...

Investing "OUTSIDE" the box for SAFE profits:

...And since I have no morals:rolleyes:, I have been eyeing Western Union. 4 reasons:
A: They pay a tasty 8.49% dividend.:D
B: They have been around since the telegraph.
C: P/E ratio of 4.67 .
D: All of those millions of illegal immigrants will use them to send money back to their home country. (Which WU will get a cut of).

Thoughts?
Discuss.
*this is not investment advice, (but it sure smells like it).

Last edited:
Well since I lost my virginity a long time ago :rolleyes:...

Investing "OUTSIDE" the box for SAFE profits:

...And since I have no morals:rolleyes:, I have been eyeing Western Union. 4 reasons:
A: They pay a tasty 8.49% dividend.:D
B: They have been around since the telegraph.
C: P/E ratio of 4.67 .
D: All of those millions of illegal immigrants will use them to send money back to their home country. (Which WU will get a cut of).

Thoughts?
Discuss.
*this is not investment advice, (but it sure smells like it).
Sounds like a pretty good bet for a dividend investor

Latest posts

Back