Iodine 2.0 or upgrade antiseptic?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerLandHunter

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I read that out of the common iso alcohol, peroxide, and povidone iodine that the iodine is the best for wound care.

There is better stuff that cost more and is less common to find in stores but I'm mainly looking at these.

Iodine not only can be used pure but also can be diluted in sterile water to flush wounds to get out bits of debris while killing some germs.

My issue is usually the expiration date is only 1 year or maybe just under 2 years if I'm lucky. I usually use so little almost a whole bottle gets tossed every year or so.

I was reading it is not stable and deteriorates quite quick after the expiration date. Not good for wounds in SHTF case. Simple flesh wound could be a big issue.

What do you all recommend? I have heard of the silver stuff but that's expensive (in comparison) and a paste. I like the liquid forum and something that can be added to water to flush out wounds.
Is there a longer term iodine product that doesn't destroy living tissue a lot like alcohol tends to do? That can be found in chain stores? (Ideally)
Thanks!

Have you checked out a local farm supply store? Tractor Supply and Runnings around here. They carry iodine dip by the gallon, reasonable, plus many medical and sanitizing items. Worth looking into. Quality is good, price is also, and many things there being sold for critters are as good as, maybe better, than what we can find for people.

Get your own colloidal silver kit and make your own.
I've heard of this but it sounds too easy. A lady told me you buy a 99.99%+ silver coin drop it in water, add two wires in either side of the plastic dish and connect them to a battery. In time you will see the water chance a little? She tried to say you could drink the stuff to help your insides. She said the one case where someone turned blue was do to not pure enough silver.

I trust that lady but it's just a lot to get my mind around. I know the paste works but it sounds to easy to do if that's it and if it's as effective as the store stuff. I'll have to look into it more. Thanks!

Have you checked out a local farm supply store? Tractor Supply and Runnings around here. They carry iodine dip by the gallon, reasonable, plus many medical and sanitizing items. Worth looking into. Quality is good, price is also, and many things there being sold for critters are as good as, maybe better, than what we can find for people.
I'm at that type of store real often in the farm area I should look next time! Hahaha I almost never use 4 oz by expiration a gallon will be almost full but if the price is right for SHTF 4oz would be a joke. I already bought and used horse dewormer for my rabbits to kill the fur mites so I bought extra just in case. I should buy some bulk iodine and refill my 2 expired nice small containers. Thanks!

here a couple ideas that probably require more research.

Potassium permanganate, in my memory, the way back of my mind lol, it seems this was used as a antiseptic. Not sure though. It will stain. I'm going to google it in a bit.

resublimated iodine crystals.. I have a couple small brown bottles, maybe a ounce. There is some crystals in these bottles, maybe a thimble full. I have these for water treatment. The little bottle is filled with water and let set for a bit. It is then poured into a quart of water. The crystals are left in the little bottle. It can be used over and over again. I hear the crystals last "forever". I thought I had read somewhere that the solution in the little bottle can be used as antiseptic.

the above is probably worthy of more research.

Potassium permanganate, in my memory, the way back of my mind lol, it seems this was used as a antiseptic. Not sure though. It will stain. I'm going to google it in a bit.

resublimated iodine crystals.. I have a couple small brown bottles, maybe a ounce. There is some crystals in these bottles, maybe a thimble full. I have these for water treatment. The little bottle is filled with water and let set for a bit. It is then poured into a quart of water. The crystals are left in the little bottle. It can be used over and over again. I hear the crystals last "forever". I thought I had read somewhere that the solution in the little bottle can be used as antiseptic.

PP was used in municipal water at one time. For backwoods water disinfecting, it'll turn the water pink. I've never heard of disinfecting sounds with it, but I suppose it's possible. Fun fact, PP can also be used to start fires. I've seen it but don't remember how to do it. If it's ok for wounds, it's a 3 in 1 item - wound care, water purifier, fire starter. I like those kinds of items...

I've heard of this but it sounds too easy. A lady told me you buy a 99.99%+ silver coin drop it in water, add two wires in either side of the plastic dish and connect them to a battery. In time you will see the water chance a little? She tried to say you could drink the stuff to help your insides. She said the one case where someone turned blue was do to not pure enough silver.

I trust that lady but it's just a lot to get my mind around. I know the paste works but it sounds to easy to do if that's it and if it's as effective as the store stuff. I'll have to look into it more. Thanks!
Close, attach the positive electrode to the silver and hang the negative electrode on the other side of the container. Buying the kit gives you a piece of silver wire and the timing instructions for different strengths but it really is simple.

I use it for staining gun stocks, that and nitric acid will pop out the tiger stripe. It is not mixed together.

if memory serves PP and sugar does something.
I think that's correct, PP and sugar will start combustion, but I've no idea how to do it. Sounds like it's time to fire up the ol' search engine and find out...

Potassium Permanganate is an acid reactive oxidizer. Often used to produce pure oxygen in atmospheric models but usually mixed with a hydrocarbon for rocket fuels or explosives. It will spontaneously ignite when mixed with an acid or if mixed with the correct compounds becomes a contact explosive. It crystalizes into very fine crystal threads and the whole thing detonates when even one thin crystal thread is broken.
It's cool stuff to play with in small amounts but can be very dangerous in even moderate quantities.

Iodine (or iodide) is necessary for brain development but very little is needed. Even minimal increases can cause allergic reactions, gastro-intestinal problems, inflamation and thyroid cancer or other diseases. Large doses can cause coma and death. To treat water you should use about 5 to 10 drops of 2% tincture per quart of water. (5 drops in clear water and 10 drops in cloudy water)

Potassium Permanganate is an acid reactive oxidizer. Often used to produce pure oxygen in atmospheric models but usually mixed with a hydrocarbon for rocket fuels or explosives. It will spontaneously ignite when mixed with an acid or if mixed with the correct compounds becomes a contact explosive. It crystalizes into very fine crystal threads and the whole thing detonates when even one thin crystal thread is broken.
It's cool stuff to play with in small amounts but can be very dangerous in even moderate quantities.

Iodine (or iodide) is necessary for brain development but very little is needed. Even minimal increases can cause allergic reactions, gastro-intestinal problems, inflamation and thyroid cancer or other diseases. Large doses can cause coma and death. To treat water you should use about 5 to 10 drops of 2% tincture per quart of water. (5 drops in clear water and 10 drops in cloudy water)
Way back I read something like don't use more than 1 or 3 months straight. (Ot was long ago but I know long term use can mess you up pretty well even in small amounts.

Tincture of iodine (2%) is cheap enough, I'd keep it on hand even if you've got other option on hand too. It's great for purifying water. So you waste some...how much does it cost to replace it every year and a half? If you're in rough country, that stuff can be like gold.
Good point it's cheap and gives me options to have on hand.

That sounds like something that would be awesome. I'll look into it thanks!

I picked up some powdered chlorine from the well supplier. It's for shocking wells. Probably costs more than pool shock. Pool shock is a good way to go. I'm told bleach doesn't have a good shelf life.
Yeah liquid bleach has a short shelf life for sure.

I picked up some powdered chlorine from the well supplier. It's for shocking wells. Probably costs more than pool shock. Pool shock is a good way to go. I'm told bleach doesn't have a good shelf life.
Chlorine (Purex type) lasts an easy year but two years is pushing it, probably too far. We used to buy bleach once a year on the barge sales. When the ice went out the barges started running and all the stores had great sales so they could get their profit immediately and not have to store it till next year. We would have barges almost 5 months per year.

Plain old salt.I'll always swear by it becaause it saved my right arm and maybe my life. Of course thats soaking but maybe just paste and rub it on?
Aloe Vera removed a skin cancer from my nose a few months ago. I took a mature leaf,cut close to the skin,refrigerated it and used it at least twic a day.If I'd known how well and frast it worked I'd sure taken pictures,but didn't think about.

Lonnie on Far North Survival and Bushcraft youtube has a vid on making a collodial silver generator. He has some kind of meter to monitor the amps suppose to make a big difference. I used silver rods and a 9 volt battery
There you go that's what I was told a silver penny and 9v battery. Cool
P.S. the Potassium Permanganate looks like a good addition to my inventory thanks for bringing it up. I looked into it and am surprised how many uses it has!

Last edited:
Plain old salt.I'll always swear by it becaause it saved my right arm and maybe my life. Of course thats soaking but maybe just paste and rub it on?
Aloe Vera removed a skin cancer from my nose a few months ago. I took a mature leaf,cut close to the skin,refrigerated it and used it at least twic a day.If I'd known how well and frast it worked I'd sure taken pictures,but didn't think about.
Wow that's awesome! Yeah I have heard things like salt, and vinegar are pretty good too. Heck when my wisdom teeth were took out they said use a salt water rinse.
I use apple cider vinegar on my feet to keep athletes foot away or kill it off on summer. After work I take off my boots wash my feet and wipe them with ACV. Works great if used daily.
And really it's good to have a broad base knowledge of things in your home that have more than just the typical use.

Wow that's awesome! Yeah I have heard things like salt, and vinegar are pretty good too. Heck when my wisdom teeth were took out they said use a salt water rinse.
I use apple cider vinegar on my feet to keep athletes foot away or kill it off on summer. After work I take off my boots wash my feet and wipe them with ACV. Works great if used daily.
And really it's good to have a broad base knowledge of things in your home that have more than just the typical use.

I always rinse my raw vegies good then put them in vinigar a couple minutes and rinse again. I've done this for about 20 years now to lettuce ,peaches,pears,onions,apples. I just used it on pears yesterday.
I'll have to try that foot wash too also epsom salts is good to have around for foot soak and bathes if you can get enough now for bathes.

I always rinse my raw vegies good then put them in vinigar a couple minutes and rinse again. I've done this for about 20 years now to lettuce ,peaches,pears,onions,apples. I just used it on pears yesterday.
I'll have to try that foot wash too also epsom salts is good to have around for foot soak and bathes if you can get enough now for bathes.
Oh nice yeah I've heard of that being good in tub water. I made a spray veggie wash with vinegar lemon and water I saw online but I a usually lazy and just rub it under water which isn't as good I'm sure. Luckily the greens I eat at Aldi wasn't recalled. A few weeks ago they recalled a specific brand of salad for contamination.

Ok so that's how! I messed with room temp water and it didn't work well.

I really should start though especially since my rabbits get some of it and contamination would kill them far easier than me.

Yeah the ACV will even stop some of the itch. Since I do it daily I haven't had to worry about it for months now.

We have 8 gallons of bleach, 1 gallon rubbing alcohol, 3 quarts peroxide, 1 quart of colloidal silver, 1 pound of table salt. No iodine .
50 rolls of TP.

Latest posts

Back