Iowa, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, or New Hampshire?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about Missouri? That’s where my hubby and I want to retire. But part of that reason is it’s halfway between where my kids snd his kids live. But that may change. It’s beautiful in the Ozarks. We currently live in Oklahoma and I’m very happy here. I’ve lived in Illinois most of my life.
All the states you named get too cold for my likes.

Missouri has been re-added to our list :)

We are actually not overly crazy about the winter -- our ideal state would be Arizona, but they are out of water...

Funny you mention Missouri because that was formerly at the top of our list along with Iowa. The only thing that caused it to fall off were the presence of those urban areas. Our worry is that they will come to dominate the state and state policies. Also, in a SHTF situation, that we might not be safe from marauders on our land. We wound up with those winter states on our list just by looking at the population and mountain/weather "opsec". Do you think that's reasonable, or possibly a little far-fetched? A lot of my concerns at this point are generated by my imagination.

Don't sell your imagination short. I'd check out online Census if you haven't already.

How about Missouri? That’s where my hubby and I want to retire. But part of that reason is it’s halfway between where my kids snd his kids live. But that may change. It’s beautiful in the Ozarks. We currently live in Oklahoma and I’m very happy here. I’ve lived in Illinois most of my life.
All the states you named get too cold for my likes.
We have friends that live in the S.W. corner of Missouri and they love it, they have some cattle and have a garden, sounds like a good place. Wyoming is a good area to have wind generators because it seems like the wind is always blowing and they do get a lot of snow, enough that there are gates that are closed on the on ramps to their freeways, no thanks, we had enough snow when we lived at 8,100 feet west of Denver, Wyoming does have an abundance of antelope and deer, that's a plus.

We have friends that live in the S.W. corner of Missouri and they love it, they have some cattle and have a garden, sounds like a good place. Wyoming is a good area to have wind generators because it seems like the wind is always blowing and they do get a lot of snow, enough that there are gates that are closed on the on ramps to their freeways, no thanks, we had enough snow when we lived at 8,100 feet west of Denver, Wyoming does have an abundance of antelope and deer, that's a plus.
Wyoming has some of the nicest people I've ever met. Of all the states I travel to for work, Wyoming is the most polite. But that weather isn't fit for humans to live in. Often times, it blows so hard they have to shut the wind generators down or risk damage to them. No thanks. Iowa is more than windy enough for me...

I'm trapped in eastern MA and due to career and family can't go anywhere until retirement. I think New Hampshire could viable depending on your job needs. A population center of 100,000 for a job is kind of vague. NYC to New Hampshire is a day's drive and a nice vacation destination. Check it out. No income tax but high property taxes. The touristy areas get all of us Mass-holes every summer but it doesn't sound like you are interested in the tourist areas.

Latest posts

Back