Is Amoxicillin antibiotic for pets safe for people in an emergency.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I don't know if this question is allowed here, If not, please delete. I see an add for Amoxicillin for dogs and cats. It seems to be the same name as people antibiotic. Is it the same, and is it a safe product for a person to use when needed. I have heard before that a person can sometimes us vet meds, but not sure.

I don't know if this question is allowed here, If not, please delete. I see an add for Amoxicillin for dogs and cats. It seems to be the same name as people antibiotic. Is it the same, and is it a safe product for a person to use when needed. I have heard before that a person can sometimes us vet meds, but not sure.
I worked for a vet when I was young and he and his wife would use animal meds for themselves. They are both in their 80's now and both "healthy as a horse"!!

Fishmox... but make sure the ingredients only says amoxicillin, nothing for shiny scales :)

Pick up a copy of Joe "Doc Bones" Alton's book The Survival Medicine Handbook".
Doc Bones is the man that spilled the beans about the fish antibiotics being the same pills we get from the pharmacy. But read or listen to his articles and podcast on it.

https://www.doomandbloom.net/med-herbal-book-resources/
https://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/fish-antibiotics
Thanks for posting that!!

Interesting thread. If anybody has more knowledge, I sure want to hear it.

I know that the town vet back home used vet meds on himself on occasion. When his son got knocked silly during a high school football game, he took the kid up to the vet clinic to x ray his head before he took him to the Dr.

I've heard it said that doctors are people who failed out of vet school...😉

Interesting thread. If anybody has more knowledge, I sure want to hear it.

I know that the town vet back home used vet meds on himself on occasion. When his son got knocked silly during a high school football game, he took the kid up to the vet clinic to x ray his head before he took him to the Dr.

I've heard it said that doctors are people who failed out of vet school...😉

To your point and MD only needs to know one animal, the human one, where as a vet has to know how many different ones depending what they specialize in.

I am one of the few people who uses fish antibiotics for myself and my livestock/pets. I make sure before I use them that they are the same as the human grade. I compare the capsules/tablets to the ones on Drugs.com | Prescription Drug Information, Interactions & Side Effects

If I remember correct Dr. Bones (Joe Alton) recommends that the antibiotic be the ONLY ingredient. Most vet meds have second and third ingredients for the animal they are prescribed. Alternative Antibiotics in Survival | Collapse Medicine | Doom and Bloom (TM) | Doom and Bloom (TM)

I recently had to give my dog a course of amoxicillin for a wound on her face. I used fish mox. I looked up in a vet manual for the dose based on her weight and mixed the meds with canned food. Before our cat had to be put down she got abscesses often and I treated them myself with fish mox. Not hard to do.

I do recommend getting some basic medical training (first responder type) before trying to be the survival doctor in your MAG.

My doctor prescribed lipitor for my cholesterol, and over time they fount the med was showing effects to my liver and took me off. He then told me to start taking fish oil soft gels. Wish he had told me that in the first place.

Fishmox... but make sure the ingredients only says amoxicillin, nothing for shiny scales :)

Pick up a copy of Joe "Doc Bones" Alton's book The Survival Medicine Handbook".
Doc Bones is the man that spilled the beans about the fish antibiotics being the same pills we get from the pharmacy. But read or listen to his articles and podcast on it.

https://www.doomandbloom.net/med-herbal-book-resources/
https://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/fish-antibiotics

Dr bones, nurse Amy also can be found on YouTube

a pharmacist told me only Fish antibiotics are the exact same as made for humans.
Yup. Open a bottle then compare the marks and numbers to the ones on human grade on drugs.com

It is the same thing for animals and humans. The pink liquid they give for cats and small dogs is what they give babies and small children - comes from pfizer (usually though other companies have their versions.) The bottles of white liquid injectable pen. for livestock is what would be used for adults - would need to verify the dose by weight. SHTF scenario - be careful of who you give it to. Some folks are allergic (like me.) Also, it has to be kept refrigerated so might not be a good SHTF option at all. I would explore other options - but that's just me.

I have little doubt that the fish and animal meds are the same as human ones.
That said, be very careful proscribing meds to yourself that you have never taken before.
Years back a doc gave me some Amoxicillin and it put me in the hospital for 4 days. One of our kids is also allergic to it but the other and my wife are not.

All good points and that's why Doc Bones mentions this is only for SHTF situation. He also makes the point that not all antibiotics work for every type of infection. There are also fish versions of cipro, cephalaxin, keflex and others. But again get some training and have some medical books like Docs that help guide you to what med goes for what infection.

Years back a doc gave me some Amoxicillin and it put me in the hospital for 4 days. One of our kids is also allergic to it but the other and my wife are not.

This is a good point. Does anyone know can you get an allergy screen for antibiotics or is it pretty much so a take it and find out thing?

I'd hope with today's technology there is a way to screen. If so it might make sense to get a simple test to know and put in your medical files should you need to know in a SHTF

This is a good point. Does anyone know can you get an allergy screen for antibiotics or is it pretty much so a take it and find out thing?

I'd hope with today's technology there is a way to screen. If so it might make sense to get a simple test to know and put in your medical files should you need to know in a SHTF
There is a test - like those scratch tests.

Latest posts

Back