Is anyone seeing a lot of flu?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPrepper

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We're in the midst of a flu epidemic, causing hospitals to be full to overflowing, closing emergency departments and really impacting communities. I have not heard a lot about other states, but I know Arizona saw 2000 positive flu tests the week before Christmas, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. For every person who gets tested, there are a handful of people with flu who don't see their doctor or get tested.

I got to do a podcast for the hospital to try to spread correct information around the community- you can see it here: - I hope it is helpful!

Diana

Good job Doc. well worth watching. I think it is those darn Snowbirds (blame anything with the word SNOW) that is bringing it into our wonderful state. My family is not experiencing any symptoms, not are our neighbors. I will post if it changes.

Wife and I just went thru it,

It was 3-4 days , then lifted.

I have lots of family and friends with it,

The local news is saying it's almost a pandemic in Ky.

Jim

Glad your both done with it. This one is rumored to come back on you so be careful around others.
Hubby was really sick for about 8 days and still weak but doing much better..

What symptoms have y’all who’ve had the confirmed flu had?

Starts out in the head with headaches, sinus and lots of mucus, body aches and quickly moves into the lungs with terrible cough and fluid in the lungs. With hubby it turned into pnemonia and he is still weak and tired. He worked thru some of it but it landed him in bed for about 3 days.
Don't need to confirmation ,you know when it hits you. I was very worried but he will not go to doctor.

Starts out in the head with headaches, sinus and lots of mucus, body aches and quickly moves into the lungs with terrible cough and fluid in the lungs. With hubby it turned into pnemonia and he is still weak and tired. He worked thru some of it but it landed him in bed for about 3 days.
Don't need to confirmation ,you know when it hits you. I was very worried but he will not go to doctor.
Oh lovely. Maybe I don’t have a chest cold......

That sums it up for us as well...

There are a couple of strains circulating right now, both Flu A and Flu B. It seems people either have just the flu- fever, headache, body aches, sniffles, cough, etc - or they have the flu with bacterial infections superimposed. Think pneumonia, strep throat, and even respiratory failure. Flu always seems to affect the very young and the elderly, but one strain of flu A (H3N2) seems to be really hitting younger adults (25-65) hard.

I first heard reports of this Flu in IL, in late AUG. Friends on FB were suffering from it, the first week kids were back to school. At the time, I was sure they were Mistaken. I didn't think it could hit that early. Ive been suffering Mild symptoms for about 3 weeks. I got a shot in Sept., so that figures.
Flu numbers are not that bad in Yuma......YET.

We haven't started back to school yet so haven't been out of the house much. A good friend called me today and said one of her friends from High school, I think she was in California, died from the flu yesterday. I've been pretty much restricted to the homestead because of my 2 rounds of pneumonia. Hubbys worried about me getting the flu but I have to go back to work Tues with the kids. Guess I better watch the news and see if they mention it, of course the never talk about southern NM. We might as well not be a part of the state as far as they care.

Eta.. Had to fix some stuff because my tablet likes to change my words. Went to send an email this morning and I guess it didn't like the guys address. Changed it what I typed to "hillbillies".:)

Last edited:
We're reaching pandemic levels here in AL. Worried with hubs getting chemo again, being in the hospital for the treatments and the lowered immunity from the chemo. His patient advocate has it, her hubs got it and ended up in the hospital with pneumonia.

Does your Summit Health care have other offices? We have one here in town.
Oh, and your avatar is misleading! You don't have blond hair or green gloves... HOW could you make us believe you had green gloves?? I feel so betrayed.:LOL:

Good interview by the way.:Thankyou:

One girl in her 20s died from it in the PHX area. One of the other things Ive been doing for about 2 months, is taking one Tablespoon of an Elderberry mixture twice a day. One of my "Organic Homesteading" friends makes it. I forgot whats all in it, but Im convinced.

Here in Kansas there does not seem to be many cases of the flu. Our local fire depts have not seen an increase of medical calls but rather seems like fewer than normal for this time of year. Maybe the cold weather has killed the germs.

Does your Summit Health care have other offices? We have one here in town.
Oh, and your avatar is misleading! You don't have blond hair or green gloves... HOW could you make us believe you had green gloves?? I feel so betrayed.:LOL:

Good interview by the way.:Thankyou:

Oh, I do have green gloves- but I only wear them for "special" occasions!!!! Yes, Summit has 28 locations in addition to our main campus, but they are all in Northeastern Arizona. We do see a lot of NM patients, especially from areas like Reserve.

One girl in her 20s died from it in the PHX area. One of the other things Ive been doing for about 2 months, is taking one Tablespoon of an Elderberry mixture twice a day. One of my "Organic Homesteading" friends makes it. I forgot whats all in it, but Im convinced.

Resto, actually there have been 2 young women in Maricopa County that died from flu! And one child, too.

I am just beginning, caught it from others around me. Sore throat, ache, cough… Every couple years I catch whatever the disease of the day is. I deal with it all the same way, let my body deal with it and it runs its course. I take a few days off, lay in bed, tea, soup… OTC meds to help with the cough and bring up phlegm, aspirin, teas… I have never had one get serious enough to go to the Dr., but would if it lasted more than a few days.

I'm still Sick, been over a Week for me. I finally went in to see the Doctor and got some Antibiotics, this is a truly debilitating Illness and the Cough is Exhausting. I have been going to see the same Doctor for about Twenty Years now, and I have never seen so many Sick People at one time in his Office. This Flu seems to have hit this area hard.

I'm still Sick, been over a Week for me. I finally went in to see the Doctor and got some Antibiotics, this is a truly debilitating Illness and the Cough is Exhausting. I have been going to see the same Doctor for about Twenty Years now, and I have never seen so many Sick People at one time in his Office. This Flu seems to have hit this area hard.
no fun at all. Praying for healing and strength for you in the process

Is there any correlation between getting a flu shot or not and whether one came down with the flu or not?

Yes, there is strong correlation that says if you have a flu shot, you have a much lower chance of getting the flu. If you've had the shot and do get the flu, you have a stronger chance of minimizing the symptoms. You cannot get the flu from a flu shot, since there is no live virus in the shot.

Camo, I'm so sorry you are sick. It's not just your area, it is everywhere that is reeling from this flu. Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Latest posts

Back