Is anyone seeing a lot of flu?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought we were gonna skate by without getting it. Wife woke up yesterday feeling very poorly. I went and got some stuff that would help if it was a cold. Kept her sedate and hydrated the rest of the day. She woke up before 6 this morning feeling worse. Got her in to see her Dr and yep she has the flu. He gave both of us Tamiflu, hoping to keep me from getting it too bad. I may be wrong (Good Lord I hope I am), but I think I'm getting it to. Did everything I could this afternoon to position us to get thru it without having to bring someone in and infect them.

I thought we were gonna skate by without getting it. Wife woke up yesterday feeling very poorly. I went and got some stuff that would help if it was a cold. Kept her sedate and hydrated the rest of the day. She woke up before 6 this morning feeling worse. Got her in to see her Dr and yep she has the flu. He gave both of us Tamiflu, hoping to keep me from getting it too bad. I may be wrong (Good Lord I hope I am), but I think I'm getting it to. Did everything I could this afternoon to position us to get thru it without having to bring someone in and infect them.

I hope that you do not get it and that you both feel better soon!

Back in the late 1970s the Canadian military tried a new swine flu vaccine on us. Darn near shut the entire base down. My darling wife and I (we weren’t yet married but we served together) we never as sick as we were with that shot. They didn’t give it to the public. Now the one side of my brain says maybe it wasn’t a flu shot they were testing, but hey everyone knows you can trust the government... right.... right?

I hope you both get better soon. There's lots of plants that will do more than tamiflu.... :)

I hope she gets well soon and you don't get it too. Sorry BP.

Back in the late 1970s the Canadian military tried a new swine flu vaccine on us. Darn near shut the entire base down. My darling wife and I (we weren’t yet married but we served together) we never as sick as we were with that shot. They didn’t give it to the public. Now the one side of my brain says maybe it wasn’t a flu shot they were testing, but hey everyone knows you can trust the government... right.... right?

This reminded me of a 1989 movie about a couple guys who were given experimental drugs by military,

Just put y'all on my prayer list! You're going through what my wife and I have been fearing. She definitely doesn't need it!
Angel-animated.gif

Right on Brother! Just ask any American Indians their opinions!!
img2.gif

Last edited:
@Bacpacker hope your lovely wife an yourself get better soon, be prepared that you might have to take 2 courses of Tamiflu though as this virus comes back to bite numerous times so be diligent and if you are not feeling better after the 1st course see a doctor straight away.

Yes we had it here in Australia both DH and I at the same time :(, not ideal as it is the first time we have ever both been sick together.

We are just avoiding public areas as much as possible. If shopping or going out we use a hand sanitizer a lot. I personally am very careful not to touch my face any more than need be with my hands. So far so good. Personally I have never taken the yearly flu shots and rarely get the flu. I'm curious what the percentages are of those contracting A or B who have taken the shots and those who have not taken the shots.

Bob, I got a "swine flu" shot in 1976 in the Army that put me in intensive care on a ventilator for a couple of days! I figure I must have reacted to some component of the shot. The good thing is, I didn't get swine flu!:facepalm:

Wonder why the news media isn't reporting (or am I just missing it?) more about the flu deaths then that PRESIDENT Trump said his ham and cheese sandwich had 2 pieces of cheese when it is reported THREE pieces of cheese?
Some things are much more important than flu! 2 scoops of ice cream as well! I don't know what I would do if the media had not joined in on operation mockingbird. We would be hearing of flu deaths and child trafficking like other countries instead.

Bob, I got a "swine flu" shot in 1976 in the Army that put me in intensive care on a ventilator for a couple of days! I figure I must have reacted to some component of the shot. The good thing is, I didn't get swine flu!:facepalm:
I don’t know what we got but we were all deathly ill for days. Nasty stuff.

I don’t know what we got but we were all deathly ill for days. Nasty stuff.

I did not get the shot in '76 but did get that flu! I was single and am sure I was down for at least 2 weeks. Have only had a flu once since then, in 2011. No flu shots, though.

Thanks for the well wishes and prayers folks. And yep I have it as well. Not quite as bad as the wife at this point thankfully.

We neither ever take a flu shot. Never have. I think this is the first time either of us has caught it. Wife is a nanny and last week one of her kids had the flu. She stayed home thru Thursday and the kid seemed to be over it so the wife went in Friday. But she still got it.

Thanks for the well wishes and prayers folks. And yep I have it as well. Not quite as bad as the wife at this point thankfully.

We neither ever take a flu shot. Never have. I think this is the first time either of us has caught it. Wife is a nanny and last week one of her kids had the flu. She stayed home thru Thursday and the kid seemed to be over it so the wife went in Friday. But she still got it.

From what I have heard this flu can be contagious longer and come back on you too. Yall be careful Michael Savage talked about it last night on youtube and he said it is really bad . So take care of yourself . Care to listen go to last few minutes of Savage Nation Show 2-13-18, click to 1"32:50 fro flu talk.

Last edited:
Yes we had it here in Australia both DH and I at the same time :(, not ideal as it is the first time we have ever both been sick together.

Quite a while ago, DH and I both had food poisoning at the same time. I've not made chicken casserole since then! The thought of it still turns my stomach.:confused: Even though I'm not a 100% certain that's what caused it.

I learned one very important thing though.......later, when we built our house, we included 2 and a half bathrooms. Sharing a sickness with one bathroom is not advisable!!!

I hope all of you out there suffering with this terrible flu are on the mend. Take it easy and get well soon........:thumbs up:

I find it curious the US Flu Map hasn't been updated this week. I also find it curious the movie "Contagion" was shown several times last week. Coincidence????? I think one of the most telling moments of the movie was when Dr. Mears said "keep your hands off your face, Larry". I did learn about fomites from the movie. (Fess up... how many of you will Google "fomites"?)

Note: I chose not to copy in the flu map because it is supposed to be updated weekly.

Some things are much more important than flu! 2 scoops of ice cream as well! I don't know what I would do if the media had not joined in on operation mockingbird. We would be hearing of flu deaths and child trafficking like other countries instead.

We have our share of both, we just hide it better.

I did not get the shot in '76 but did get that flu! I was single and am sure I was down for at least 2 weeks. Have only had a flu once since then, in 2011. No flu shots, though.
I have been under the impression that only one person in the whole U.S. got the swine flu in 76, somewhere in Missouri. Many people did get Guillaine Barre Syndrome from the shot though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_swine_flu_outbreak

And big pharma had a coup from the hype!

Seasonal flu vaccination coverage (this is the latest report)

National Early-Season Flu Vaccination Coverage, United States, November 2017

Key Findings

• Only approximately two of every five children and adults in the United States had received an influenza (flu) vaccination by early November 2017:
    • 38.6% of all persons 6 months and older
    • 38.8% of children 6 months through 17 years
    • 38.5% of adults 18 years and older
  • Early 2017–18 flu season vaccination coverage was similar to coverage at the same time last flu season for children, adults, and all persons 6 months and older.
  • Among children, flu vaccination coverage was similar across all racial/ethnic groups with one exception—non-Hispanic children of other or multiple races had higher flu vaccination coverage than non-Hispanic black children.
  • Among adults, flu vaccination coverage among adults 18-49 years decreased by 3.7 percentage points compared with the same time last season.
  • Flu vaccination coverage among Hispanic adults decreased by 7.7 percentage points compared with the same time last season.
  • Among adults, non-Hispanic persons of other or multiple races had higher flu vaccination coverage this early season than non-Hispanic whites, non-Hispanic blacks, and Hispanics.
  • Among both adults and children, the most common places reported for receiving flu vaccination were medical locations (children: 86.5%, adults: 49.2%). Retail settings (28.2%) and workplaces (17.0%) were other important venues for adults.

actually besides the flu we have had a lot of cases of strep throat. kids and older people.

This is so true! Didn't think about really till you mentioned it but a few of my great grands have strep throat. I use to never hear about so much strap and none of my kids ever got it.
So much to think about now a days. Seems like strep throat comes around a lot now. Hubby and I have never had it, yet .

Seasonal flu vaccination coverage (this is the latest report)

National Early-Season Flu Vaccination Coverage, United States, November 2017

Key Findings

• Only approximately two of every five children and adults in the United States had received an influenza (flu) vaccination by early November 2017:
    • 38.6% of all persons 6 months and older
    • 38.8% of children 6 months through 17 years
    • 38.5% of adults 18 years and older
  • Early 2017–18 flu season vaccination coverage was similar to coverage at the same time last flu season for children, adults, and all persons 6 months and older.
  • Among children, flu vaccination coverage was similar across all racial/ethnic groups with one exception—non-Hispanic children of other or multiple races had higher flu vaccination coverage than non-Hispanic black children.
  • Among adults, flu vaccination coverage among adults 18-49 years decreased by 3.7 percentage points compared with the same time last season.
  • Flu vaccination coverage among Hispanic adults decreased by 7.7 percentage points compared with the same time last season.
  • Among adults, non-Hispanic persons of other or multiple races had higher flu vaccination coverage this early season than non-Hispanic whites, non-Hispanic blacks, and Hispanics.
  • Among both adults and children, the most common places reported for receiving flu vaccination were medical locations (children: 86.5%, adults: 49.2%). Retail settings (28.2%) and workplaces (17.0%) were other important venues for adults.
Every time there is any kind of report on tv about the flu, there is also a comment about getting the vaccination. Big Pharma is getting free advertising and promotion on every news story.

Latest posts

Back