Is it possible to turn Hunting/Recreational into Residential?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oathbetrayer

Friend
Neighbor
I would like to buy land and construct a home. I’d have a few dozen animals and a very small farm.

My first question is:
I am only finding hunting land, can I buy that and turn it into a homestead?

Also, is it legally possible to parcel off land to family in the future?

And my final question is:
Can I build multiple homes on my homestead and allow family/friends to live there if I cannot parcel them the land?

I live in Michigan

Those questions will be answered by the zoning board of where your land is. You should check it out before buying.

Also by who owns the land around yours. I am surrounded by the seven million acre Chugach National Forest. And directly and "indirectly" they have influence over private property inside their domain. However all things considered this is truly "paradise", assuming one loves wilderness.

What's referred to as "hunting land" is typically just undeveloped land. No reason you couldn't build there - UNLESS the zoning restricts any development. And you may be limited in the services available, but if you plan to build off-grid, that's less of an issue.

Whether or not you can parcel off parts of the land in the future depends, again, on the local zoning. Some places do not allow subdivision, or require a minimum acreage. So as an example, if the land is 9 acres and there's a 5 acre minimum, you couldn't subdivide it because it would be impossible for all subdivided parcels to meet that minimum.

The multiple houses on one parcel is also a matter of local zoning. Some places have a lot of codes, and some places just have a few. I know of a number of places that have a couple houses on one lot, so it does happen. But I don't know how they came about (I suspect they pre-date current restrictions).

So it all comes back to location, location, location (or more specifically: zoning, zoning, zoning). Where are you looking to buy? Someone here may be more familiar with the state, if not the county or locality.

And by the way, welcome! :welcome:

Hunting and Recreational are their own zoning, so I figured it did not allow residential homes being built.

If I ever did parcel the land it would prob be at least an acre each and I would end up buying 50-100 acres.

I pretty much want a family/friends compound. I have lived in Metro Detroit my entire life, I'm an outdoors person...I don't like it here.
I am looking to move to the Upper Peninsula. Luce County or Schoolcraft County.

Also by who owns the land around yours. I am surrounded by the seven million acre Chugach National Forest. And directly and "indirectly" they have influence over private property inside their domain. However all things considered this is truly "paradise", assuming one loves wilderness.

I prefer the most freedom possible.

Zoning laws are bad enough.

I want so much land that there is a buffer space 😂

I prefer the most freedom possible.

Zoning laws are bad enough.

Well........to be clear, there is "Zero" zoning here, "Zero" building construction standards, "Nothing'. Absolutely zero restriction. But The Forest Service has rules about their land, that I have to be aware of. As those rule "indirectly" effect me. And some of it is reverse better.

For example: I get "special" subsistence hunting and fishing rights. They are wonderful, unbelievably wonderful. But most of those wonderful subsistence "rights" are only valid on Federal Land, not my land. So if using my "Federal" subsistence rights, I can only shoot moose just off my property and on Federal Property. So I have to photograph the dead moose on their property, then fire up the dozer, and drag it over to mine for processing.

If using Federal Subsistence Rights, they are not valid on my property, surrounded by Federal Property.

Last edited:
Well........to be clear, there is "Zero" zoning here, "Zero" building construction standards, "Nothing'. But The Forest Service has rules about their land, that I have to be aware of. As those rule "indirectly" effect me. And some of it is reverse better. For example: I get "special" subsistence hunting and fishing rights. They are wonderful, unbelievably wonderful. But most of those wonderful subsistence "rights" are only valid on Federal Land, not my land. So if using my "Federal" subsistence rights, I can only shoot moose just off my property and on Federal Property. So I have to photograph the dead moose on their property, then fire up the dozer, and drag it over to mine for processing.
Haha nice!
Yeah I'm sure it has many perks.

I just worry about "the man" wanting to buy me off my property or force me to follow even more crazy laws/regulations.

How is the internet speed in the middle of no where? I'm a remote software dev.
Definitely been one of my concerns, prob my only true dependency.

How is the internet speed in the middle of no where? I'm a remote software dev.

It is the slowest possible. It comes by land phone, which comes by microwave across a large body of water. No TV reception, No Cell Phone reception. But lots of Grizzly Bears.

Back