Is Mossberg a quality shotgun?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cnsper

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Nice. Get some slugs for that baby too.

I think mossberg is great. I have a 410 bolt action that had sat in my granndads's gunroom, sans bolt. Anyhoo a bolt could not be found and bought, decades went by and the internet came about. I'll be darned if I found a bolt on ebay. Felt pretty fortunate for a long gun made in 1939

In Ww2 when the military needed shotguns they went to mossberg because their guns surpassed milspec without any modifications. Yeah they made a good gun.

I'm sure Mossberg shotguns are fine, I just happen to like Remington 870's, have a friend that bought a Ranger, looks a lot like an 870 and costs about half as much or less, looks well made, I wouldn't be afraid to own one, maybe because it has a steel receiver like the 870 has.

Last edited:
Never used a shotgun much. Always hunted small game with a rifle, rabbits, squirrels. My wife has a single shot 410 that her dad bought her when she was in grade school in the 60s, besides the Mossberg and a 20 gauge that was her dad's.

Mossberg makes fine shotguns. I bought one of their "Plinkster" .22LR semi-autos once at a Black Friday sale. It was like $69 or $79 dollars. It feels and performs about like you'd expect a $69 rifle to. In other words, not terribly impressive. At one time I really wanted one of their "MVP Patrol Rifles". This was a bolt action .223 that took AR-15 mags. That sounded like such a cool idea to me at the time. When I was finally able to handle a Patrol Rifle in person, I promptly gave it right back to the salesman. The stock felt like it was made out of balsa wood. The bolt was so loose and wobbly that I thought it was going to fall out of the rifle. There was a little spring loaded "thingy" that flops down towards the inserted magazine to make the AR-15 mags work with the rifle. That "thingy" felt like it would break off after a magazine insertion or two. The Patrol Rifle was not an impressive gun, to put it mildly.

But Mossberg shotguns are good. I have one of their Model 500's. I know lots of people who have that shotgun, or it's larger magazine variant the 590. No problems reported with any of them. I'd buy that Mossberg shotgun again in a heartbeat. But the two rifles I have experience with? Not so much.

Mossberg makes reliable shotguns. Many retailers have had Mossberg, or other gun manufacturers, build the same gun with a different label. They also make the same, or almost so, gun at different levels of finish. The Mossberg 500 and the Maverick 88 are essentially the same but the 500 has a higher quality of finishing. Both are reliable firearms and both should be generational guns. You might expect better furniture, higher polishing of the metal, and smoother triggers.

Remington 870's come in different qualities also. I can't name any but I'd be surprised if they weren't sold under different brand names. Sears, Wards, and Western Auto are just a sampling of stores that had their own firearms brands yet never had factories.

My experience with Mossy shotguns is that they're cheap looking, cheap feeling, and not very smooth. But darned if they don't work. I would never buy one for bird hunting but for a home gun or a slug gun they're good. I just really like the old style, real steel shotguns like the old Ithacas and Model 12s much better...

There’s different ways to look at your question. I teach hunter ed and am an archery and shotgun instructor. Many people ask what gun I’d recommend. If someone was beginning I’d recommend a Mossberg relatively often. They make a pretty dependable gun but the fit n finish isn’t good and the often rattle depending on model.
For reliability, dependability, longevity I’d say go for it. I’ve got but one mossberg an ulti mag bought over 30 years ago. Gun was never babied and used hard. Shot many stout loads without one issue and they’re affordable. Just not nearly a great looking gun if that type thing matter to you

My model 500 has been great for the 40 years I have owned it. The only failure I've had was the safety button broke. I made a steel button to replace it and it has been fine.

Mossberg makes quality shotguns.
I like old shotguns, they are cheap to buy and cheap to feed.
I guess I have more than a dozen, not really sure. Pump, bolt, SXS, OU, single shot.
In Mossbergs I have a 183KE, a .410 bolt action with C-Lect choke, made in the early 70's; and an 85B, a 20 ga bolt action made in 1940.
I like .410's, usually have one handy around the farm.

The Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U is made in Turkey. Many various brands are, this is not a bad thing.
When President Bush mailed everyone a $600 stimulus check (remember that?), I went immediately down to my local gun store to see what they had.
Lo and behold!! For exactly $600 they had a Mossberg Silver Reserve Combo 12 ga/20 ga. Two sets of barrels, two proper forends, 10 choke tubes!! What a deal!!! It was almost like they had that planned. 😅
Right now she's wearing the 12 ga tubes and loaded with a #6 magnum birdshot load up first with a high brass #4 birdshot load second. Since the biggest threat out here is something after our chickens this will get the job done.

Looking through the rifles my FIL left me. Also have a Remington 30-30. And several others. Going through them slow and cleaning them.
Lucky. I love my 30-30. I bought it (no paperwork) from a co-worker many years ago. It was left to him by his FIL. It was practically brand new. He was a black city guy and looked at it like a goat with 3 heads. I tried to explain but........So I bought it for a great price.

Latest posts

Back