Is Mossberg a quality shotgun?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some folks swear by Cummins, I've just always had better luck with CAT engines... that 470hp CAT 3406E was a good motor, mine would pull a grade as well as a 500, lol. Great on overall fuel economy too, the 500s, 550s, etc, all sucked fuel like it was going outta style. I liked that 470 CAT, it was a good motor, fairly easy to work on too... :cool:
Cats were the best. Most costly too. Cummins were much better than Detroit, less costly than a Cat. Good compromise.

Yeah, the CAT name tended to jack up the price... but I was a company driver at the time, and that assigned truck was rigged with the CAT. The truck itself was an International (another middle-of-the-road make) and it only had a 'Straight 10' transmission, but the truck had a double bunk sleeper and it only had 11K miles on the odometer when I climbed into it, lol. Barely run in, ya might say. I had a lot of good times in that truck, and the long runs we made with that particular outfit were moneymakers. My favorite run was a 6000-mile triangle from CA-PA-GA-CA, 21 states in all. :cool:

P.S. If I were to buy a truck today, I'd want a CAT motor with a 13-speed transmission, that would suit me just fine... ;)

Edit: We'd better get back on topic before Supe gives us grief, lol... Mossberg shotguns & big trucks don't mix! Come to think of it, most big trucks would make poor choices for drive-by shootings: "0 to 60 in half an hour!" :oops:

Last edited:
Edit: We'd better get back on topic before Supe gives us grief, lol... Mossberg shotguns & big trucks don't mix! Come to think of it, most big trucks would make poor choices for drive-by shootings: 0 to 60 in half an hour! :oops:
I was actually going to go in the other direction.
Being a degreed diesel-mechanic, I worked on every one of those.
Each one had its strong points and it's weak points.
Example: The Detroit was a very old design that dates back before WW2.
Good = No moving part actually touched the block or head so if you didn't let it freeze or throw a rod, they were infinitely rebuildable.
Bad = They put a lot more carbon and unburned fuel into the engine oil than others and needed it changed more often.
(See, even I can go off topic :D)

Cats are best.
Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 8.00.32 AM.png

Oops, not a diesel cat.

Every thread in here is off topic, nobody minds or cares, we're country folk, it'll get back where its going after we talk about our coon dogs and crops a bit. LOL

No one has mentioned it... But at a time I had some experience with the Winchester 120 series of pump shotguns... Now I believe that is the Savage 320 model ??

My experience was they were a strait forward, good working arm... However when they needed attention for a deep action cleaning and the like they were a bit more to work on than the Mossberg 500 or Remington 870... Your experience may be different...

I inherited a nice 1200 from my dad, I hated it, if I can't work on it, I don't own it.. I put it on a gun collector friend as it was a mint 1968 in the original Alligator case. All it brought was a lousy 250$. It was a pain in the a$$ to strip.

I thought the Savage looked like a Winchester.

Latest posts

Back