Is Your Vehicle Winter Worthy?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a used car so I needed this video to remind me. Decided to put together a new kit for this one. But rest assured that little camp shovel is way too small for our winters.
That shovel is perfect if you are high centred in the snow and you need to dig out. It is especially good if it will lock in the 90º position. I don't leave home without one.

I stay prepared all year long and it is time to trade out the food and add the winter clothing.

That shovel is perfect if you are high centred in the snow and you need to dig out. It is especially good if it will lock in the 90º position. I don't leave home without one.

This is the one we use. Moves more snow faster and can also dig your car out in under an hour.

71lT3XnM+OL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

My pickup is pretty winter worthy so long as I take the appropriate steps to get it ready. Extra blanket or two, basic maintenance before the snow flies, a few hundred pounds of tube sand over the rear axle (I'm not 4WD), oil the trencher shovel (stays in the truck all year long, but gets a WD40 treatment every year just before winter).

season dosent change much here, just gets wetter.

In the Midwestern US it usually runs -30 to 15F in the winter, 85-105F in the summer. Spring can be rain one day and blizzards the next. Fall is usually the only consistently nice time of the year, but sometimes fall only lasts about 5-6 weeks.

We just got a test of winter yesterday, we had a "Cyclone Bomb" hit just off the coast of Brookings, it produced winds over 100 mph and took the roof off of a hardware store in Crescent City, California which is just over Oregon's S.W. border. Thankfully we didn't have any winds in our valley, but we had a doctors appointment and had to drive I-5 to get to Grants Pass and it was rather miserable, snow was gone from the road bed except for the highest pass. We were very thankful to have a new set of Michelin all season tire installed on our Sienna van at Costco a few days before, they performed perfectly. Pics of snow are just east and west of our place, the snow is all but gone from around our home. The average height of the mountains around here is 3,500 ft. and the snow has risen to about the 2,000 ft. level and we live at 1,400 ft.
DSC00006.JPG
DSC00007.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about the double pics of the west, my computer is in the habit of doing things on its own, I really hate this Toshiba Satellite touch screen laptop, so much so that I'm tempted to never get another touch screen computer to replace it.

The foothills around me are turning white but the snow is not sticking around at the 2000 foot mark yet. Winter is here and the snow is coming. I've got four studded tires on wheels to put on my wife's car and I will be doing that this coming week. I do alright with my "all Season" radials as long as the ice stays under the snow. I can put snow tires on my car too but I can drive well without them under all but the worst conditions.

We always winterize our vehicles. Have belts and hoses checked. Make sure antifreeze is good to sub zero temps. I do need to swap summer for winter bag. We keep a few extra clothes for cold weather. Not much of a change. Cars are pretty much kept the same year round.

Thanks for the reminder.

Latest posts

Back