Island living and survival

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To the Island question on supplies I'd want:

Couple of rain barrels. 100' of 2" pipe. 50X50 heavy duty rain tarp. 2 fishing rods and 50 surf fishing rigs. 500' of paracord. 2 frog gigs or flounder gigs. Axe, saw, hammer, 1000 nails, lighters, matches, 4 3' long 1/2 steel rods, 2 large 25 gallon pots.

That should get me going. This is assuming that the Island is at least 15 acres and has some sort of stand of trees on it or the list of wants would be much longer.

i have lived and worked on several islands. one i lived on in my off time was about 2 acres...yes 2 acres.

two items must have..at least a kayak and a bicycle. most island have some type of road system...soo. but being able to get out on water on coast to fish and more will be priceless.you can upgrade after time and as opportunities arise.

saltwater fishing gear. an all weather brochure of knots you can carry in pack and book about gill netting and more. i am still searching for an advanced book on that. bst so far is "fisherman's knots and nets".

the bicycle needs a basket on front,gun holder on handle bar if possible to have and set of panniers/saddlebag baskets on rear.

this is not all of course but from my experiences this stood out for must haves.

the weatherproof knot guide i am talking about is a waterford press folding guide series pamphlets. theres a bunch out there on various subjects.they fold like a map.

Okey Dokey.
unter
Now, Swiss Family Robinson...they had it going. They made island living look fabulous. I doubt it would be that way.
I seem to remember that they had an issue with some head hunters, but then it's been a long time since seeing Swiss Family Robinson. I've thought that I might want to live on a sailboat and tie it up in a harbor down in Costa Rica, wife didn't like the idea so we kept our home and property. Living in an increasingly "Blue" state on the west coast sometimes has me wondering if I didn't make a wrong choice, even though we are living in one of the more "Red" areas, we're really fast getting outnumbered.

2 fishing rods and 50 surf fishing rigs.

My daughter has taught me that free diving and spear fishing is usually much more productive than surface fishing with rod and reel. But the water temperature has to be appropriate (or use a wet suit). Also waves and currents and rocks make some places a no-go at certain times of the year. You have to be in good physical shape to free dive as well. Ideally, I think you would want to be good at both surface and spear fishing.

My daughter has taught me that free diving and spear fishing is usually much more productive than surface fishing with rod and reel. But the water temperature has to be appropriate (or use a wet suit). Also waves and currents and rocks make some places a no-go at certain times of the year. You have to be in good physical shape to free dive as well. Ideally, I think you would want to be good at both surface and spear fishing.
I did some free diving, with a wetsuit. I wasn't that good at fishing but I went diving with a guy that I saw get fish with a knife. He told me he won free diving tournaments and would start fishing at 150'. I believe him. Today I'd want a dry suit.

gillnets,gillnets and more. seine nets and traps. one thing you need is sabiki rigs. either bought or you build or make yourself.

sabiki rigs allows you to catch bait and more.i have caught herring 4 at a time.these catch everything just adjust hook size and style.fill the boat with mackerel with them.

the kayak gives you freedom of the sea.most islands have areas hard to get to from on shore. this might give you a place of escape and to be away from others if need be. some shores are to rough to even use a kayak or any type boat.fishing from shore is only way.theres all kinds of ways to fish. one interesting way i seen native peoples kite fishing. i know we have took that adjusted it with modern items and more to kite fish from shore. i would really like to kite fish sometime from shore.

i would like to get with a builder and design a survival kayak. have them or at least talk about certain features that would make a kayak better for more 'detailed work'. bounce ideas off of for them.

Agree. That was the reason for the frog or flounder gigs so that I could make spears to use. The surf fishing allows you to cast and work on other things while still having a chance at catching a meal with little effort. Swimming to fish when stranded on an island would be a bit of a last resort as it would be risky (cut on reef, shark attack, cramp from lack of nutrition or water, extreme use of energy that could go to more productive things).

I am many years past living on an uninhabited island. I would have to have Bill Gates money, and build an island fortress that was stocked with food, water, and all the necesseties and amenities of life to last for twenty years. Even then you would hope that a tsunami or hurricane/tropical storm would not hit hard enough to do severe damage.

I think I will pass on this one. As much as I love the beach and the ocean, if I am going to pick a spot it will be a mountain cabin, not an island.

heres some reality of island life and forced poverty through sanctions. this to me could be example of shtf deal where everything is limited..both on mainlands coast and island living.

Nice! I don't have my beach jeep anymore but when I did I had one rod that stayed on the jeep in a holder and I'd take the line out with a drone. From a drone you can really see the fish and drop the bait right front of a school of fish. Caught mostly 50 LB Cobia doing it and it was one heck of a fight to get a fish like that to the beach.

Nice! I don't have my beach jeep anymore but when I did I had one rod that stayed on the jeep in a holder and I'd take the line out with a drone. From a drone you can really see the fish and drop the bait right front of a school of fish. Caught mostly 50 LB Cobia doing it and it was one heck of a fight to get a fish like that to the beach.
theres also a method where they use a underwater drone of a boat like thing to take all that line out. i forget what its called and so far not found a video of it.

I would love an 18 century wood working chest, full of all the non power tools.
I could use this guys skills also.

The only thing he does not make from the forest is the shorts he is wearing, THANK GOD!

dont know the details but this young man disappeared for awhile.but he told to my understanding on a blog or some such he has that he was gone filming a tv show. i dont know when or even if it will be shown but i sure would like to see it.

I would love an 18 century wood working chest, full of all the non power tools.
I could use this guys skills also.

I'm sure in a place like America its possible to buy hand working tools, I'm in Britain but I've got a stock of hand tools for WTSHTF.
as for skills look for a course of the skills you think you will need, I believe the young man in the videos is not in the US so his skills would be different to yours.

are those videos Russian? I dont watch anything Russian these days for obvious reasons.
some Ukrainian and some Russian...dont derail this thread please with off topic bs.its about island living and fishing and more.learn where you can.

skills are skills.

I concentrate on skills relevant to my location and climate, some of these videos are excellent but unless they relate to my own situation they are just entertainment. I'm nowhere near the sea for a start and I'm closer to moorland than any jungle.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back