Island living and survival

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this came out today 3-28-23...what timing for our various threads mentioning new zealand.

Last edited:
various things..

in video in post #85 i pointed out the guys freighter pack. well in numerous shots in video you see him with his daypack on. many miss the need for a great daypack because you use it everyday. you are often going through brush and it takes a beating..how much so? notice towards end you see guy and his one t shirt is very faded and notice on top of shoulders on both side holes? that from shoulder straps wearing through from it being carried so much.

also in video he showed were he was getting his water from. an old school i think it was with metal roof and guttering catching it in a cistern. if he had not had that he might have water issues or at very least spent far more time gathering water to drink for sure.

fish hooks,fish hooks and nets and knowing techniques. now i am not sure if it was this video or another but guy was fishing coastline and alone a section that wasnt beach but a rock ledge to water,he was catching fish but losing many of them and often couldnt get them hooked.having that edge there was perfect place to use a small drop umbrella net and to just lift fish up out of water without hooks. he also could built a fish cage to keep fish alive to eat as needed. it was a good spot to make a plastic bait chum bottle to lure as many fish in to catch and more.

clay tall tells done a primitive challenge and it was so hard on him. while doing this he didnt know he was sick but at end he ended up in hospital from exhaustion from how hard this was and they found his other health problems because of it and it took him a bit to recover from it.he has talked about how hard it was with primitive tools. a tool kit is a must.i have a tool toll i been working on forever.i based it on Mors Kochanski tools and things i done and something i seen in books and mags and more.its small but it will allow a bunch of stuff to be done with ease especially for finding trash along coastline and water edge and much more.

by the way clay mention ..and this was as of april 2022....there were many people in new zealand that could no longer afford meat and fish and how him and others often hunted and fished and gave much away to friends and family struggling. one example was butter it cost $10 a pound there a year ago.is that everywhere? i dont know but it is in his region. its even way more expensive in NZ than Alaska. that such a huge hold back..limited resources of brought in goods and goods being produced locally costs.you would need a milk goat for sure and more there.clay also mentioned that for awhile a bunch of real rich folks moved in and lived there for less than a year often and then left and put homes up for sale. he said a builder he knows was building 140 homes a month and was down to only 40 a month now.

heres clays video

various things..

in video in post #85 i pointed out the guys freighter pack. well in numerous shots in video you see him with his daypack on. many miss the need for a great daypack because you use it everyday. you are often going through brush and it takes a beating..how much so? notice towards end you see guy and his one t shirt is very faded and notice on top of shoulders on both side holes? that from shoulder straps wearing through from it being carried so much.

also in video he showed were he was getting his water from. an old school i think it was with metal roof and guttering catching it in a cistern. if he had not had that he might have water issues or at very least spent far more time gathering water to drink for sure.

fish hooks,fish hooks and nets and knowing techniques. now i am not sure if it was this video or another but guy was fishing coastline and alone a section that wasnt beach but a rock ledge to water,he was catching fish but losing many of them and often couldnt get them hooked.having that edge there was perfect place to use a small drop umbrella net and to just lift fish up out of water without hooks. he also could built a fish cage to keep fish alive to eat as needed. it was a good spot to make a plastic bait chum bottle to lure as many fish in to catch and more.

clay tall tells done a primitive challenge and it was so hard on him. while doing this he didnt know he was sick but at end he ended up in hospital from exhaustion from how hard this was and they found his other health problems because of it and it took him a bit to recover from it.he has talked about how hard it was with primitive tools. a tool kit is a must.i have a tool toll i been working on forever.i based it on Mors Kochanski tools and things i done and something i seen in books and mags and more.its small but it will allow a bunch of stuff to be done with ease especially for finding trash along coastline and water edge and much more.

by the way clay mention ..and this was as of april 2022....there were many people in new zealand that could no longer afford meat and fish and how him and others often hunted and fished and gave much away to friends and family struggling. one example was butter it cost $10 a pound there a year ago.is that everywhere? i dont know but it is in his region. its even way more expensive in NZ than Alaska. that such a huge hold back..limited resources of brought in goods and goods being produced locally costs.you would need a milk goat for sure and more there.clay also mentioned that for awhile a bunch of real rich folks moved in and lived there for less than a year often and then left and put homes up for sale. he said a builder he knows was building 140 homes a month and was down to only 40 a month now.

heres clays video

He uses his feet like extra hands!😃

first bit is best..rest seems to be rubbish. i thought it was all about this family..there use to be a documentary on youtube about them.cant seem to find exact one i remember...anyhow you were warned...lol..some good and junk in video..didnt watch it all..first is best.

Last edited:

problem with an island is if its attacked the residents have nowhere to run.

That depends on the island. You'd be right about Manhattan Is. but the island I'm on is 99% trees and muskeg. It is very conservative. I'd hate to go against a bunch of the locals that grew up with guns, hunting, and roaming through the wilderness for fun. This would be a bad place to be an invading force.

You need to study history more.......

For example, during WWII, islands proved to be very costly to conquer and when the defenders were overwhelmed, in many cases they were able to evacuate very large groups of people.

Also research the Pacific coast watchers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coastwatchers
Winners never quit and quitters never win.

Most failure occurs inside peoples heads.

For example, during WWII, islands proved to be very costly to conquer and when the defenders were overwhelmed, in many cases they were able to evacuate very large groups of people.

Or when Japan invaded and occupied part of Alaska, WW-II.

there is a vast difference between something like WW2 and a civilian attack.

Reactions: Neb
this came out today 4-9-23..how timely...what a fantastic documentary...listen and see..especially the story of the first group...people who descended from ship wrecked slaves from ships 200 years ago and fled to this spot to live and survive..notice a certain word used in both peoples...freedom.notice they survived because of each other as a group or tribe of peoples. eyes to see and ears to hear.....

@Pearl you gonna like this one.

Last edited:
this came out today 4-9-23..how timely...what a fantastic documentary...listen and see..especially the story of the first group...people who descended from ship wrecked slaves from ships 200 years ago and fled to this spot to live and survive..notice a certain word used in both peoples...freedom.notice they survived because of each other as a group or tribe of peoples. eyes to see and ears to hear.....

@Pearl you gonna like this one.

What a prime spot!! They all had the same goal, not like people today!! Any random group of average people today would most likely have a hard time working together, would most likely fail!

3-26-23 Skote and his buddy are going on epic adventure. this boat build/design is awesome and the little details really make them extra nice. this would be great for a 'long hunter of the sea' along coast or island living.the one thing i would talk with boat designer and see about making sides 6-8inches higher for my likes.the little sleeping nook would keep you on water gathering goods for days or weeks. the 9 foot oars will get you to cover some miles too. anyhow thought yall might like to see this.

i love this boat...they done a month long shake down before long voyage.

Reactions: Neb

Latest posts

Back