it pays to have a back up plan

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimLE

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I'm sitting on my front porch checking my emails and all. A woman walking by ask if I have power. I told her I'll check. Sure thing no power .that was around 11:50 am central time. And still no power only thing I don't have for times like this. No back up generator for fridge n freezer. Other than that. I'm prepared for it. And what makes this real interesting. Is. Clear skies.and Low wind..i know it could be any many different reasons.but yet. Main reason it goes off is rain/thunder storms. And it just came back on.

You should strongly consider a generator. I keep several around of different sizes depending on what I want to run.

Take a look on Craigslist for your area. When there's no bad weather in sight, people dump them so they have the garage space back.

If all you want to run is your freezer, another option is a deep cycle marine battery and an inverter but this can run you a couple hundred so you're probably better going the generator route.

My little inverter generator came from costco, 1600/2000 watts, 65 dB. The 4KW is louder. Looking to move to a propane generator if I get ahead of the curve on finances.

After that, It's an 80 watt solar panel with deep cycle battery, then, darkness :(

Latest posts

Back