It's all.about the flash

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I was thinking about how some folks are dazzled by the flash.

For example I will use two YouTube channels. The channel are about building a cabin in the woods.

One is a pretty well off gentleman. I assume he is well off, he said he claimed to have paid off 750 thou in debt in a couple years.

Great Channel. Best of everything, doesn't struggle for resources. Very flashy lots of followers.

The other channel is a about a young broke guy. He built his place with about nothing. Scrounge. Crappy equipment. It's really not the best job on his build.
Very few followers. I was impressed he did so much with so little.

Both are great channels, I don't really watch either one much.

I was thinking about how some folks are dazzled by the flash.

For example I will use two YouTube channels. The channel are about building a cabin in the woods.

One is a pretty well off gentleman. I assume he is well off, he said he claimed to have paid off 750 thou in debt in a couple years.

Great Channel. Best of everything, doesn't struggle for resources. Very flashy lots of followers.

The other channel is a about a young broke guy. He built his place with about nothing. Scrounge. Crappy equipment. It's really not the best job on his build.
Very few followers. I was impressed he did so much with so little.

Both are great channels, I don't really watch either one much.
I've seen similar circumstances with various sites - my opinion, it's the image of success vs. the image of poverty.

I've found over time I avoid the flashy channels, the perfectly manicured cabins and homesteads, him or her with not a hair out of place. I find it completely unrealistic. They are trying to appeal to people building a homestead and trying to learn.

Unless you have a heap of money, building up a homestead is hard dirty messy work. It's long hours and frustrations.

So I personally much prefer the reality of the guy with the not perfect tools making a plan. Of the lady trying to bake while also caring for her kids, doing firewood and making sure the goat has a smooth birth. That is somthing to learn.

I usually stop when a video has back ground music , or "hours" of getting ready, Like when some one fabricates a prototype and paints it right away, then you know it's about flash, not function.

While the perfect images appeal, I know I can’t afford flash and am more drawn to learning how someone builds a home or is able to buy one cheaply, gardens, and has a couple of farm critters. My aunt and uncle enjoyed building and landscaping and everything always looked nice. They could afford it. That guy on YT in New England, he’s a retired architect but now a small time farmer, he’s situated financially well enough. His place isn’t flashy, but he makes things look easier than they are physically.

Latest posts

Back