It's time

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prayers are with you, Peanut. We have done it a bunch of times, and it never gets any easier. There is one part of me that begs the question: "Why do you want another dog, and put yourself through this?" But we love them dearly, and they are a huge part of our lives. Know that he will be at peace and out of pain.

The vigil is over, I found him just after 8. During the night he moved to the last place I expected… his dog house. He recognized me, gave a feeble wag. I went and got him a bowl of fresh water, when I got back he’d expired. It’s too hot for digging. This evening I’ll put the bucket on the tractor and bury him on the hill beside “Ten”, my last GSD.

RIP Joe…

Cold Dogs 13jan21 (13)a.JPG
Sam Joe cold g  (2).JPG

Just got him buried... Hardest ground I've ever seen. I used a 2-bottom break plow and the FE loader. I managed to make a big pile, not a deep hole. But he's resting by my last GSD and he loved to chase deer across this field.

Saw something strange... the horse and donkey hate tractors. They normally run to the opposite end of the field I'm working or down to the bottoms. They will not stay near running equipment.

Today they stood quietly and watched while I plowed out the hole, just a few feet away.

Joe Last a 03a.JPG
Joe Last a 05a.JPG
Joe Last a 06a.JPG

My condolences, Peanut... but good on ya for burying him where you did, so his spirit can still chase deer across that meadow. When my beautiful young cat Jingle Belle died of secondary poisoning in the White Mountains, I made a special trip deep into the tall pine forest to bury her... she loved the forest, so that's where I put her. May her spirit freely roam... :confused:

P.S. Looks like the horse & donkey were paying their respects... :)

The vigil is over, I found him just after 8. During the night he moved to the last place I expected… his dog house. He recognized me, gave a feeble wag. I went and got him a bowl of fresh water, when I got back he’d expired. It’s too hot for digging. This evening I’ll put the bucket on the tractor and bury him on the hill beside “Ten”, my last GSD.

RIP Joe…

View attachment 90588View attachment 90589
Beautiful boy! I am in tears now. You did your boy good.

I am so sorry for your loss of Pearl. I know she had to mean A LOT to you. . . that is your profile name. I know what a special dog in your life means. I have been blessed to have had a few of those in my life that will never be forgotten. But I also know about bringing new members into your home. They will never replace, but brings new joys into your life and heart. It does help heal a persons heart, even though it may take some time for some. When my Akita, Kasey Lynn was getting old and not really getting around very well, Hunny decided to get me another a few months before her passing. I will admit, I was much better able to accept that little pup and she helped when I did actually lose Kasey. That was a very tough day. . . She was my girl forever and would protect me if anything ever happened! When Hunny and I were dating she stood outside the glass dorr to the backyard looking at him and just growled showing teeth. I was impressed with my Hunny that he was still willing to go out back to meet her. . . 🤣. They did eventually get along, but when Hunny and I got married and moved in together, he decided he wanted to "play fight" me. Kasey was right in between with her paws on Hunny's shoulders growling. Hunny didn't do that again. Around here my Kasey Lynn is still talked about especially with friends who had to gain her trust.

I am so sorry for your loss of Pearl. I know she had to mean A LOT to you. . . that is your profile name. I know what a special dog in your life means. I have been blessed to have had a few of those in my life that will never be forgotten. But I also know about bringing new members into your home. They will never replace, but brings new joys into your life and heart. It does help heal a persons heart, even though it may take some time for some. When my Akita, Kasey Lynn was getting old and not really getting around very well, Hunny decided to get me another a few months before her passing. I will admit, I was much better able to accept that little pup and she helped when I did actually lose Kasey. That was a very tough day. . . She was my girl forever and would protect me if anything ever happened! When Hunny and I were dating she stood outside the glass dorr to the backyard looking at him and just growled showing teeth. I was impressed with my Hunny that he was still willing to go out back to meet her. . . 🤣. They did eventually get along, but when Hunny and I got married and moved in together, he decided he wanted to "play fight" me. Kasey was right in between with her paws on Hunny's shoulders growling. Hunny didn't do that again. Around here my Kasey Lynn is still talked about especially with friends who had to gain her trust.
True devotion!!! It's amazing how much they can love!!

Latest posts

Back