Ivo mec (Iver mectin topical solution)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Thought I’d post this since I actually have need for this product. For those who missed my other thread I have a few wormy cows to deal with.

This is a liquid topical solution that is applied to the skin like some flea and tick treatments for pets. It allows targeted treatment of individual animals and better control of dosage. This particular product has some other additives specific to cattle besides ivermectin.

There is another form of this product that is mixed with livestock feed for broad application to multiple cattle at the same time.

Today I should have expected price gouging but somehow I didn’t. A one liter bottle of this product was $70 higher than normal. This bottle treats 40 calves, 550lbs in weight. It contains 5mg of ivermectin per mL. It’s also available in a 5L bottle.

Most of you know that I don’t trust anything from big pharma. That said I sometimes view them as a necessary evil. I wish I had the plants processed and ready to deal with wormy cows but I don’t (new one for my prep list).

Even if I didn’t have plant medicines that handle covid I wouldn’t consider taking this particular product. I don’t think I’ve contracted Lungworms, Grubs, Sucking Lice, Mange or Horn Flies. Clearly this individual product is only intend for use with cattle. Today I saw 9 different products that contained ivermectin, an additive just like any other. Just like it's added to meds destined for people.

There was no problem making a purchase. I wore the same boots and jeans from yesterday afternoon when handling that cow and calf. The cashier even laughed, said “I’m supposed to ask about intended use but I don’t need to in your case”. The lady obviously has experience with cattle herself. Or the cow poop on my boots gave it a way. :rolleyes:

I thought this might shed some light on the topic of ivermectin.

Ivomec 01  1 a .JPG
Ivomec 01  6a.JPG
Ivomec 01  8  a.JPG
Ivomec 01  11 a .JPG

Ivomec 02  1 a .JPG

At least it doesn't say not for use on humans, most any cattleman (or cattlewoman) has had a "bath" in it the applicators are better now, but back in the days of the dipper with the pour / measure slot the whole crew got their share, 50 years of splash certainly never killed me,

Thought I’d post this since I actually have need for this product. For those who missed my other thread I have a few wormy cows to deal with.

This is a liquid topical solution that is applied to the skin like some flea and tick treatments for pets. It allows targeted treatment of individual animals and better control of dosage. This particular product has some other additives specific to cattle besides ivermectin.

There is another form of this product that is mixed with livestock feed for broad application to multiple cattle at the same time.

Today I should have expected price gouging but somehow I didn’t. A one liter bottle of this product was $70 higher than normal. This bottle treats 40 calves, 550lbs in weight. It contains 5mg of ivermectin per mL. It’s also available in a 5L bottle.

Most of you know that I don’t trust anything from big pharma. That said I sometimes view them as a necessary evil. I wish I had the plants processed and ready to deal with wormy cows but I don’t (new one for my prep list).

Even if I didn’t have plant medicines that handle covid I wouldn’t consider taking this particular product. I don’t think I’ve contracted Lungworms, Grubs, Sucking Lice, Mange or Horn Flies. Clearly this individual product is only intend for use with cattle. Today I saw 9 different products that contained ivermectin, an additive just like any other. Just like it's added to meds destined for people.

There was no problem making a purchase. I wore the same boots and jeans from yesterday afternoon when handling that cow and calf. The cashier even laughed, said “I’m supposed to ask about intended use but I don’t need to in your case”. The lady obviously has experience with cattle herself. Or the cow poop on my boots gave it a way. :rolleyes:

I thought this might shed some light on the topic of ivermectin.

View attachment 73161View attachment 73162View attachment 73163View attachment 73164

View attachment 73165
I noticed the box of crackers in the background of your picture. Do you pour it on those?? 😀Lol

I have been dosed more than a few times with it. Cows tend to act like I am trying to kill them when I get near them with it. They act just as nuts as they do when a needle is on the menu. That stuff is expensive and it's hard to get a line down their back without a chute. I would prefer that it lands where it was intended to go and not on me.

That being said, they explicitly state in the IV people protocols that pour on is not to be used. Haven't had any bad effects from the exposure myself.

I am vaxed and growing up and until last year I have been accidentally gotten dosed topically for flies and wormed I have started oral ingestion of paste wormer beginning mid September and aiming for every two weeks. I did get my flu shot and stupid me did the ivermectin that night. Any idea if one knocked the other off? Probably should have waited until a week later. Husband is disabled and I am retired but work part time which pays for insurance.. I can’t afford to miss work. The only one of my 5 girls that has not gotten COVID has been taking liquid every week.

I have been dosed more than a few times with it. Cows tend to act like I am trying to kill them when I get near them with it. They act just as nuts as they do when a needle is on the menu. That stuff is expensive and it's hard to get a line down their back without a chute. I would prefer that it lands where it was intended to go and not on me.

That being said, they explicitly state in the IV people protocols that pour on is not to be used. Haven't had any bad effects from the exposure myself.

If you work cows you are going to end up covered in various dips or treatments. Anything to farm... I remember there being a bag of DDT in the barn when I was a kid. It's a wonder I made it this far.

I have a chute but faced with the problem of how to do this alone. There are reasons neither I or my dad can raise cattle any more. Dad can't, period. He's 87. He's simply no longer quick enough to be safe around cows. He gets frustrated at the drop of a hat then gets confused sometimes. Especially trying to help me with that black cow the other day. He should not be out working cattle at his age.

If having a debilitating illness weren't enough I've developed 2 more serious issues in the last couple of years. I can't run this farm alone which is why we gave the youngster a chance to raise cattle.

The worst of this is I still have to do major repairs to the corral and holding pens before dealing with the wormy cows. A big angus bull that was up here a few months ago made a mess out of the corral...

He went through 2 cattle panels and a steel hog panel. I have to fix all this before I can use the corral. That kid is too lazy to fix it.

Bull (3) sm.JPG
Corral fence ( 6) sm.JPG

The only thing worse than a bull that learns to walk through fences, is two bulls fighting. They will keep pushing and shoving for hours and anything that gets in the way, short of a D8, is going to get flattened.

It's sad about your nephew but he isn't going to change. My sister's two step son's did the exact same thing when they took over their dad's dairy farm. Cows were starving and dying, milk deliveries missed, milking times not adhered to. He was forced to take back the business.

He sold all the cows and turned the barns into green houses and took up tomato growing for a hobby.

Last edited:
I appreciated the sentiments. Given enough time I can do all the important items. I just can't push it. Like today, took the tractor over to make sure that cow was buried properly, of course it wasn't. The coyotes will have it dug up in a couple more days. So, I took the tractor and pushed down trees that had fallen on fences. Tomorrow or the next day I'll skid the logs and pile them on that cow.

I had 2 chains set up for skidding logs. They have disappeared like everything else around here. I guess I have to buy more chain now.

I've seen that Ivo mec at the farm store. The one I went to had it locked behind glass, like ammo and they only had the topical kind available.

I really would like to buy some of the liquid ivomec for the pups but I can't find it anywhere. I like to use the dewormer on them in the spring and in the fall. It looks like I'll have to skip this year or use the other dewormer.

Latest posts

Back