Jack knife repair

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiwall

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Our SIL had a jack knife that was her father's that she always carried. She travels a lot and one day forgot and had it in her pocket when she went through the screening at the airport. Too late to take it back to the car, put it in a checked bag or mail it. The TSA guy said she could keep the knife if she snapped the blade off. So that is what she did (he kept the blade).
She was frantic and tried many places to get someone to fix it but no place she tried would even attempt fixing the knife. My wife said she should call our son the blacksmith. So she did and he promised to look at it and try but no promises.
It was just a cheap jack knife that could be purchased anywhere in the 60's with a single blade that was slightly longer than most such knives. But the knife meant the world to her.
Our son took the knife apart and made a new blade and put it back together. I think it turned out fine. The little piece of metal in one pic is all that was left of the original blade.
SIL is happy with the knife but mad about the charge. Our son said family stuff is always free work.

jack knife 4.jpg

jack knife 3.jpg

Our SIL had a jack knife that was her father's that she always carried. She travels a lot and one day forgot and had it in her pocket when she went through the screening at the airport. Too late to take it back to the car, put it in a checked bag or mail it. The TSA guy said she could keep the knife if she snapped the blade off. So that is what she did (he kept the blade).
She was frantic and tried many places to get someone to fix it but no place she tried would even attempt fixing the knife. My wife said she should call our son the blacksmith. So she did and he promised to look at it and try but no promises.
It was just a cheap jack knife that could be purchased anywhere in the 60's with a single blade that was slightly longer than most such knives. But the knife meant the world to her.
Our son took the knife apart and made a new blade and put it back together. I think it turned out fine. The little piece of metal in one pic is all that was left of the original blade.
SIL is happy with the knife but mad about the charge. Our son said family stuff is always free work.

View attachment 76885
View attachment 76886
Nice work!

That is some skill I wouldn't mind developing.

Ben

Latest posts

Back