Jerky marinade that is Keto friendly

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterspark

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I don't know if this belongs in the food preserving thread, a Keto thread, or here in recipes. I've made jerky in the past and all of the marinades and recipes have a fair amount of sugar in them. Does anyone have a good recipe for a jerky marinade that is keto friendly?

I don't know if this belongs in the food preserving thread, a Keto thread, or here in recipes. I've made jerky in the past and all of the marinades and recipes have a fair amount of sugar in them. Does anyone have a good recipe for a jerky marinade that is keto friendly?
So keto friendly would mean no sugar?

I make keto friend jerky all the time and IIRC @CrackbottomLouis makes a biltong that should also be keto friendly.

I don't use an actual recipe as I tend to cook by taste and familiarity, but here here are the basics (with volume estimates). You may have to adjust to your taste:

1/2 cup coconut aminos (tastes sort of like soy sauce)
1/4 cup natural Worcestershire sauce
2-3 drops of liquid sucralose or liquid stevia
1 tbsp ground black pepper (or to taste)
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp smoked or regular paprika
1 tbsp liquid smoke (or to taste)

I make it up and let it sit in the fridge overnight before adding the meat to marinade.

Sometimes I add minced garlic and/or cayenne pepper flakes as well.

I make keto friend jerky all the time and IIRC @CrackbottomLouis makes a biltong that should also be keto friendly.

I don't use an actual recipe as I tend to cook by taste and familiarity, but here here are the basics (with volume estimates). You may have to adjust to your taste:

1/2 cup coconut aminos (tastes sort of like soy sauce)
1/4 cup natural Worcestershire sauce
2-3 drops of liquid sucralose or liquid stevia
1 tbsp ground black pepper (or to taste)
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp smoked or regular paprika
1 tbsp liquid smoke (or to taste)

I make it up and let it sit in the fridge overnight before adding the meat to marinade.

Sometimes I add minced garlic and/or cayenne pepper flakes as well.
Sounds good. But liquid smoke isn't that good for you, why don't you just smoke the jerky? If i remember right you have a bad*** smoker?

So keto friendly would mean no sugar?

No sugar, starches, grains, etc. Or perhaps better to say very limited amounts of.

For example onion powder has carbs, but not very many. Worcestershire sauce is made with sugar so you have to find a more natural version, make your own, or reduce how much you use. Soy sauce, which is commonly used in jerky marinades, is made from soybeans and roasted grains. So the potential for lots of carbs.

Sounds good. But liquid smoke isn't that good for you, why don't you just smoke the jerky? If i remember right you have a bad*** smoker?

I do smoke it, but not everyone can. Many people just use a dehydrator or their oven. Of course you're right that hitting with real smoke is tastier and healthier than using the liquid.

We kinda eat that way. Meat and veggies. As Americans we totally eat too much sugar.

No doubt. Plus the USDA allows dozens and dozens of different names for sugar on food labels, some you have heard of and many you haven't. Plus they allow manufacturers to lie about and mislead consumers about how much sugar is in a product and they they are eating hundreds to thousands of times the recommended daily allowance of sugar. It's a scam, a racket and a health epidemic all rolled into one.

No doubt. Plus the USDA allows dozens and dozens of different names for sugar on food labels, some you have heard of and many you haven't. Plus they allow manufacturers to lie about and mislead consumers about how much sugar is in a product and they they are eating hundreds to thousands of times the recommended daily allowance of sugar. It's a scam, a racket and a health epidemic all rolled into one.
I couldn't agree more. The USDA is allowing our food supply to be toxic to our health. Makes zero sense unless you think about who profits from us being poisoned. I know a few doctors on a personal level they only eat and buy for their family's from local farms that they know what goes into their food. Im one of those farms. When doctors don't eat from the governments food supply that says something. The simple fact is our brains tell us to seek sweetness because when we were dragging our knuckles our systems didn't get enough if it and it could keep us alive. The usda should know that and regulate the sugars even more because of it, but they don't. Infact they use that knowledge to make more money and get us to eat more of their crap. But hey thats what you get when the people in the government who are in charge of our food are made up of mostly ex Monsanto employees. That's right the food devil is in charge of it's self.

I couldn't agree more. The USDA is allowing our food supply to be toxic to our health. Makes zero sense unless you think about who profits from us being poisoned. I know a few doctors on a personal level they only eat and buy for their family's from local farms that they know what goes into their food. Im one of those farms. When doctors don't eat from the governments food supply that says something. The simple fact is our brains tell us to seek sweetness because when we were dragging our knuckles our systems didn't get enough if it and it could keep us alive. The usda should know that and regulate the sugars even more because of it, but they don't. Infact they use that knowledge to make more money and get us to eat more of their crap. But hey thats what you get when the people in the government who are in charge of our food are made up of mostly ex Monsanto employees. That's right the food devil is in charge of it's self.

IIRC after recommendations from the World Health Organization, the USDA was going to put sugar on the RDA list. But G.W. Bush vetoed that and the gov't circled their wagons to fight against it. So obviously the food industry has lots of money and puppet strings.

And just so we can pretend that this is related to the OP's topic, you can make perfectly healthy and delicious marinades without sugar. ;)

Latest posts

Back