• Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.

JOANN Stores are Handing Out Free Fabric Supplies at Curbside to Anyone Sewing Face Masks at Home

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My wife pointed this one out to me as her and my girls are now going to spend a couple hours a week making masks for Joann's and more for the local hospitals.

JOANN Stores are Handing Out Free Fabric Supplies at Curbside to Anyone Sewing Face Masks at Home

By
Andy Corbley
-
Mar 24, 2020

In a national emergency, some people’s initial thoughts are to fight over toilet paper. Others, like Good News Network reader Trina Branella, immediately want to leap to the aid of those in the front lines of the crisis.
Trina began constructing and sewing cloth masks for a project in Indiana to help teenage cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. Then, wanted to donate more masks to workers at four local chemo centers in New Jersey, spurred on by a friend of hers whose mother has cancer “and right now she’s using a bandana.”
Cloth masks are useful because they keep your hands from touching your nose and mouth (especially out in public where you don’t know if surfaces are clean). They also can contain sneezes and coughs, protecting those around you who may have vulnerable immune systems.

As Trina was running low on fabric and unable to purchase more, she asked around to see if there was anyone willing to donate to a good cause, but had no luck.
She then reached out to Good News Network on Friday, the very same day GNN received a press release from JOANN fabric Stores announcing that the U.S. company would begin donating materials to anyone looking to sew together masks, gowns, or other essential medical equipment for healthcare workers.
After learning the JOANN Stores were launching the program on March 23, we submitted Trina’s order to the company and they said the supplies would be mailed immediately to her in Somerdale, New Jersey.
Branella was thrilled to hear about the donation program and ordered 5 yards of flannel, and a couple packets of 1/8 inch elastic.
“I just have this warm, little fuzzy going on right now,” she told GNN by phone. “I’m so happy they’re doing something. I love JOANN’s.”

Beyond just donated materials, JOANN is offering “Ship-to-Home” or “Curbside Pickup” options, so customers won’t need to come into the stores.
The chain includes 865 stores across 49 states (find your local store here)—but not all shops may be participating, so telephone the store first.
“The amazing thing about the crafting community is that, especially in difficult times, they are always looking for ways to help,” said Wade Miquelon, President & CEO of JOANN.

All open JOANN locations will serve as collection points, too, so that people sewing in their homes can drop off any items created, which will then be distributed to medical centers to help extend their dwindling supplies.
Photos by JOANN Stores
“We are seeing hospital workers, organizations and individuals coming into our stores for supplies to make these essential items, and our customers are asking us how they can help,” Miquelon added. “So many are spending their time and money to help in this tragic situation, and we want to step in to do our part to protect the amazing people who are helping the communities we serve.”
According to a press release on JOANN’s website, entities in need of supplies should contact joannplus@joann.com.
They say they will also open their classrooms—while adhering to social distancing guidelines—to any who want to help make these essential items. Participating locations will offer sewing machines, materials and guidance to help customers safely make face masks and covers, gowns and other items to donate to America’s hospitals. They have some How-to guides here.

“We have a generous community who can make a big difference as our healthcare system faces this crisis,” Miquelon said. “We’re here to support them, and all who make to give year round. We are all in this together.”

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
The big challenge everywhere is a lack of the 1/8 inch or preferred 1/4 inch elastic. Quilters in my home town were asked to make some for a hospital in the area, but they lack elastic. I looked at ordering online. I could get it by............May 6! Not soon enough!

Angie

Porch Lover
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
And make sure that you have a place to donated them too when they are made.
I've seen using ties instead of elastic in some of the internet sites with directions on making the masks.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
And make sure that you have a place to donated them too when they are made.
I've seen using ties instead of elastic in some of the internet sites with directions on making the masks.
There are groups who are organized. Each group has its own design. Some are using bias tape, which can be made at home. This was taught in Home Ec. when I was in h.s., but I don't think I have ever made it.

Double R

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
The big challenge everywhere is a lack of the 1/8 inch or preferred 1/4 inch elastic. Quilters in my home town were asked to make some for a hospital in the area, but they lack elastic. I looked at ordering online. I could get it by............May 6! Not soon enough!
shipped the next day I ordered. Comes from the USA. Will be here Wednesday. Hope this helps! I also got the “N95” fabric on Etsy to line masks with.
best Pattern I’ve found is from craftpassion.com. She just updated the posts and patterns. Now she shows how to use shoe laces etc. Much better design now. I’ve modified it a bit as I’m adding the n95 liner so mine are closed off which leaves less openings around the face.
Edit- They claimed it shipped but tracking says all they’ve done is print the label. Still should be faster than China but definitely won’t be here by Wednesday.

Last edited:

Double R

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I understand! Is it the N95 piece that has added to the struggle?
I think it was just a combo of things. Definitely one of those days i should have just walked away and come back another day.
Getting it ironed out now I think. n95 fabric will be here today according to tracking. then I can start knocking the real ones out and get them shipped.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I bought as much elastic as I could find end of January, early Feb. That said, even then, elastic was not easy to find. But this morning, I was going through other sewing supplies and found a package that was originally 8 yards of 1/4 inch elastic. I have no idea how much I used, but not much!

Curmudgeon

Malinois' are awesome.
Neighbor
Aaaand, our very own liberal AG ordered all Joannes locations in Michigan shut down as of yesterday. Deemed non essential.

Our locations have been actively participating in the making of masks.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Aaaand, our very own liberal AG ordered all Joannes locations in Michigan shut down as of yesterday. Deemed non essential.

Our locations have been actively participating in the making of masks.
According to one of my cousins who lives in Michigan, the governor and POTUS have been in a verbal wrestling match. It seems that she did little or nothing to prepare and expected the federal government to send supplies and come to their rescue. I may have this wrong, and if so, please correct me.

Curmudgeon

Malinois' are awesome.
Neighbor
According to one of my cousins who lives in Michigan, the governor and POTUS have been in a verbal wrestling match. It seems that she did little or nothing to prepare and expected the federal government to send supplies and come to their rescue. I may have this wrong, and if so, please correct me.
Nope, you got it right.

She is in way over her head, I have no idea how Michigan thought she would make a good governor, I know I didn't vote for her, I voted for our former AG that was running, he had a good record of defending the good people of Michigan's rights, including 2A rights.

She started out getting on live TV here and trashing Trump at every turn, she did this for 2 days, said she had been begging for help and Trump was ignoring her blah blah blah.

Fact is, what she didn't tell people is that she didn't submit the FEMA paperwork. She finally submitted it last Thursday and wouldn't you know, Trump approved it on Friday and supplies started arriving in short order. We are getting supplies, the Army Corp of Engineers are building a field hospital in the Detroit area, all kinds of happenings.

Trump called out Washington Gov Insley and Michigan Gov Whitmer specifically (by name) during a live phone interview last week on Hannity. He said that both of them were being extremely difficult to work with. He stated that every other Gov has been very easy to work with and very cooperative, I guess until Cuomo started running his flapper.

I am led to believe that this was just another political stunt while she delayed the process of emergency aid for our state by at least 3 days.

Democrat mantra............never let a good crisis go to waste.

Curmudgeon

Malinois' are awesome.
Neighbor
Oh, and then she gets on live TV again for an update and she started whining how Trump is a bully, and we shouldn't have to wait on aid from a dictator, all kinds of BS.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I hope she gets voted out at the next election, as well as many other elected failures. This is the time of the ultimate test! Everyone can be extremely competent, or show their incompetence. So many governors are on television almost every day. If ever there was a time for leaders to step up and go over and beyond, this is the time! This is not the time for finger pointing, public hate speech, sitting on your hands while waiting for someone else to do the job. Everyone has to be laser focused and do their best, everyone who accepted a position of power at any level.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Oh, and then she gets on live TV again for an update and she started whining how Trump is a bully, and we shouldn't have to wait on aid from a dictator, all kinds of BS.
I have family who are outspoken on both sides of politics, and both sides are very passionate. Michigan cousin, obviously a Dem, posted about governor and how they are all suffering because of how their state is being mistreated. Don't you know there was a shouting match, on Facebook, many posts beginning with, "I love you cuz, but..." back and forth. I just stay out of politics, because I have never been wise or smart about it and I have never been able to debate well. The older I get, the more aware I am, but I keep my opinions to myself.
Michigan governor is a failure, and like others, thinks that finger pointing will get the job done. I heard Colorado governor one day, more than a week ago, express his frustration with POTUS. I thought, all opinions aside, "Shut up and focus on getting the job done!"

Curmudgeon

Malinois' are awesome.
Neighbor
Michigan cousin, obviously a Dem, posted about governor and how they are all suffering because of how their state is being mistreated.
Yup, and that's my point, I believe our Gov did this deliberately to take a shot at POTUS. Basically, IMO and a whole lot of others, is the fact she played this partisan game for 2 or 3 days while slowing the response from the Fed to render aid to the state. Our state was only mistreated by it's own governor.

What part of the state does your cousin live? SE part?

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Yup, and that's my point, I believe our Gov did this deliberately to take a shot at POTUS. Basically, IMO and a whole lot of others, is the fact she played this partisan game for 2 or 3 days while slowing the response from the Fed to render aid to the state. Our state was only mistreated by it's own governor.

What part of the state does your cousin live? SE part?
Yes!

Group Builder