Jump starter/power pack cold weather storage

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerLandHunter

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
The sort:
Cheap way to insulate my portable LiFePO⁴ battery pack jump starter during winter to maintain full jump start power?

Explained:
Last year I bought a lithium Iron phosphate battery after my little Grand Am had a hard start at -11F. The battery was new but the cold night took it's toll on it. That had me thinking what if it didn't start. I bought my multi use battery jumper/flashlight/12v plug pack for this reason and in case I want to use the 12v plug option to run a 2 way radio off of.

The problem is the cold. No matter what a battery left in cold fire extended periods of time will put out less juice (highly technical lingo🤓). How can I leave this in my car during winter while reducing this effect? I don't want to use anything that takes power or is a one time use like hand warmers.
Styrofoam or something I'm thinking but not sure.
It obviously isn't recommended to store in your vehicle during extreme temps but that is the only thing I really bought it for. Wisconsin winters are my favorite time to camp outside but a running car is crucial.

I know this isn't a battery forum but thought y'all might have some tips. This would also be nice to have for the start of an I.N.C.H emergency situation.

Last edited:
I lived a lot of years in cold country. I don't see insulation as being a help as it would have to be on all six sides and then it would keep the battery cold as much as warm.

I use a 2A trickle charger though I expect that is not what you want. Neither is an electric battery blanket, which is very common. Soft plug warmers, dipstick warmers, and electric heated magnets placed on the oil pan, are just a few of the options.

Your oil is important. Keeping your oil flowing is the first step. I use 5-30 Mobile One synthetic oil and I usually throw in a quart of 0-30 for my winter oil change. Make your cold engine easier to turn over. You might also look for a remote start. Some have an auto start feature that will start your car for a few minutes every hour or two. This keeps the engine warm and the oil liquid. Put in the wrong oil and no battery will help.

I lived a lot of years in cold country. I don't see insulation as being a help as it would have to be on all six sides and then it would keep the battery cold as much as warm.

I use a 2A trickle charger though I expect that is not what you want. Neither is an electric battery blanket, which is very common. Soft plug warmers, dipstick warmers, and electric heated magnets placed on the oil pan, are just a few of the options.

Your oil is important. Keeping your oil flowing is the first step. I use 5-30 Mobile One synthetic oil and I usually throw in a quart of 0-30 for my winter oil change. Make your cold engine easier to turn over. You might also look for a remote start. Some have an auto start feature that will start your car for a few minutes every hour or two. This keeps the engine warm and the oil liquid. Put in the wrong oil and no battery will help.

Car atleast your use to cold climate but still need heat. Down here we need cooling more so than heating.

Thanks those are all great ideas. I didn't even think about the oil causing it to start harder but it makes sense....I knew you can use lighter oil in winter since it's thicker.

One of the problems is usually I'm camping in a more remote area without power. I don't often use camp grounds with a nice plug right there so that limits it and don't plan on running a generator.

Good insulation works for me till it gets cold inside then I'm back up a creek.

I like the idea of the remote car starter starting every few hours. I know that's how some of the military have kept there vehicles running in fridge cold environments without the use of other things. I just don't have the funds for that.

I know the portable jumper will still give out some amps even when cold. Maybe just throw in in my car wrapped in a jacket I left by the warm air vent. By the next morning unwrap it again and if needed it wouldn't be left cold as long. Just each morning put it on the dash and at night cover it up.....

Car atleast your use to cold climate but still need heat. Down here we need cooling more so than heating.
Hahaha as much as the cold having problems I can deal better with that then extreme heat. There is no way I would be able to live in Nevada or other places where it gets well over 95 degrees.
I can't complain though or brag. Wisconsin doesn't get extremely hot or extremely cold often or for very long. The north woods get colder than most states but I think Minnesota is far worse.

A small cooler could help keep something warm. I have seen some car batteries with foam wraps to help maintain temperature. The question comes down to time, anything more than about 24 hours is going to be a crap shoot.

Have you looked into a small portable generator to power a charger for the battery or small heater for the engine compartment?

The sort:
Cheap way to insulate my portable LiFePO⁴ battery pack jump starter during winter to maintain full jump start power?

Explained:
Last year I bought a lithium Iron phosphate battery after my little Grand Am had a hard start at -11F. The battery was new but the cold night took it's toll on it. That had me thinking what if it didn't start. I bought my multi use battery jumper/flashlight/12v plug pack for this reason and in case I want to use the 12v plug option to run a 2 way radio off of.

The problem is the cold. No matter what a battery left in cold fire extended periods of time will put out less juice (highly technical lingo🤓). How can I leave this in my car during winter while reducing this effect? I don't want to use anything that takes power or is a one time use like hand warmers.
Styrofoam or something I'm thinking but not sure.
It obviously isn't recommended to store in your vehicle during extreme temps but that is the only thing I really bought it for. Wisconsin winters are my favorite time to camp outside but a running car is crucial.

I know this isn't a battery forum but thought y'all might have some tips. This would also be nice to have for the start of an I.N.C.H emergency situation.
Have you considered a small solar panel?

I have a small one that will plug into a cigarette lighter plug. While it is changing the battery will heat up a bit. Mine came with suction cups to attach it to the windshield. Add some insulation around the battery to hold the heat from the trickle change... may be enough.

Ben

At -11℉ I'd use 5-20 or 5-30 synthetic oil. Make sure you have a good battery. My cars started at -40℉. Bring your jumper battery into the tent/cabin with you.

A battery doesn't store electricity it generates electricity from a chemical reaction. That reaction slows down as temperatures are reduced.
In frigid temps there are two rules that will keep you going. Get the highest capacity battery that will fit. If you have room get two. Use the largest cable (00 instead of 4 gauge wire) that you can find or have made.
The second point to follow is to use the lowest viscosity oil that is recommended. The viscosity (thickness) of your oil can present a large drag on the starter.
Beyond those two you use a battery blanket (heater) and an engine heater. Both require power but they keep your engine and battery warm so the low temps affect them less.
As to the jumper battery well the same applies. You can keep it in the house and use it when needed but if you have to keep it in the car when stopped for a time then it will get cold too, so your best bet is still a high capacity battery.

At -11℉ I'd use 5-20 or 5-30 synthetic oil. Make sure you have a good battery. My cars started at -40℉. Bring your jumper battery into the tent/cabin with you.
+1 on both of these.
Try starting a diesel with 15W40 in it in cold weather :oops:.
The other thing is if you have upped the CCA of the battery?
Just because it won't fit in the tray/holder doesn't mean it can't be put in there.
I've never bought a vehicle battery with less than 1000 CCA.
Today's small cars have tiny batteries because they have small engines (like the Grand Am).
Since you know about cables, adding a second battery may eliminate the need for the jump box.
A lot of the equipment I worked on had a second battery added.
2 normal size batteries would be better than 1 and a jump-box.
Big 4-cylinder diesels can be very 'cranky' in very cold weather:p.

Last edited:
I keep something like this in each vehicle (mine are different brands).
https://www.amazon.com/GOOLOO-18000mAh-SuperSafe-Starter-Portable/dp/B0748D8KT6
The whole unit weighs just a couple pounds and is small so you can carry it in a winter coat pocket and bring it in the house with you.
I live in a cold environment as well. I leave them in the cars for a couple months and they still have plenty of charge to start a car.
The one I have for my truck can jump start a 6L diesel something like 20 times before needing recharged.

I have a NOCO jump starter and it has saved me twice when my battery died. My only suggestion is to bring it in someplace warm then remember to take it back to the vehicle every time. I would forget it and wind up stuck with a dead battery. Maybe a small insulated lunch bag would help. If you needed the jump starter and it was cold you could put it under your arm and warm it up some. Better yet put it in someone else's arm pit. ;)
This is the one I have in each vehicle.
https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB40-Ul...X0CAXY7ZPZ5&psc=1&refRID=02P7XZAJYX0CAXY7ZPZ5

Another idea

Provided the battery is good, turn on the headlights to get current going to generate heat via the chemical reaction inside the battery just long enough to get the headlights to shine brightly. Then turn off the headlights before trying to start the engine.

It may sound counterintuitive but in theory it should work to heat up the battery.

Ben

Is the charger pack one of the big ones or a little one (the latter being about the size of a paperback book)?
It's one of the newer designs like a small book but in the fabric case with attachments the size of a dictionary.

A small cooler could help keep something warm. I have seen some car batteries with foam wraps to help maintain temperature. The question comes down to time, anything more than about 24 hours is going to be a crap shoot.

Have you looked into a small portable generator to power a charger for the battery or small heater for the engine compartment?
I like the idea of a cooler. I could put it in my igloo lunch box since I do usually only camp one or two nights at a time. Thanks for the idea!

Have you considered a small solar panel?

I have a small one that will plug into a cigarette lighter plug. While it is changing the battery will heat up a bit. Mine came with suction cups to attach it to the windshield. Add some insulation around the battery to hold the heat from the trickle change... may be enough.

Ben
I really like that idea and have seen them around in stores. Thanks.

Reactions: Neb
Good idea! Yeah the -11 was an externally cold morning the rest of the winter up till then only got a few below 0 but 5w20 probably still would be fine in that temp.

I hammock camp but could and probably will throw it at the foot end of the hammock next time. Thanks!

I had a new 750 (I think) CCA interstate battery in my little Bonneville but it still was slow. Then again I tried to bring up google maps with my phone in my hand for only maybe 10-15mins before it glitched and said I had no service with 0 bars. I had to put it by my cars air vent for 5 mins to get it working again. Ahhhhhh the memories 😅

A battery doesn't store electricity it generates electricity from a chemical reaction. That reaction slows down as temperatures are reduced.
In frigid temps there are two rules that will keep you going. Get the highest capacity battery that will fit. If you have room get two. Use the largest cable (00 instead of 4 gauge wire) that you can find or have made.
The second point to follow is to use the lowest viscosity oil that is recommended. The viscosity (thickness) of your oil can present a large drag on the starter.
Beyond those two you use a battery blanket (heater) and an engine heater. Both require power but they keep your engine and battery warm so the low temps affect them less.
As to the jumper battery well the same applies. You can keep it in the house and use it when needed but if you have to keep it in the car when stopped for a time then it will get cold too, so your best bet is still a high capacity battery.
Good point and that's why I have the 700 or 750 CCA battery in my car. The past owner had a 600 CCA battery in it which I recycled before winter.
I know diesels that double up on batteries never thought of doing that in my car but good idea. When I camp I never have a power source or generator besides my portable jumper. Although if i ever go serious deep woods middle of no where camping i would invest in one to run heaters. Thanks i think my GrandAm says 5w30 is as thin as recommend but if it's that cold maybe I could go thinner. The thing is that deep cold only usually lasts a night or two then climbs back to around 0. So I probably would need to do two oil changes before and after the trip if I add real thin oil.

+1 on both of these.
Try starting a diesel with 15W40 in it in cold weather :oops:.
The other thing is if you have upped the CCA of the battery?
Just because it won't fit in the tray/holder doesn't mean it can't be put in there.
I've never bought a vehicle battery with less than 1000 CCA.
Today's small cars have tiny batteries because they have small engines (like the Grand Am).
Since you know about cables, adding a second battery may eliminate the need for the jump box.
A lot of the equipment I worked on had a second battery added.
2 normal size batteries would be better than 1 and a jump-box.
Big 4-cylinder diesels can be very 'cranky' in very cold weather:p.
Good point I usually would go 100 CCA over what the manual called for. Being cheap I wanted a little extra but didn't want to fork it up. Clearly if I do this again I will need to invest a bit in better equipment. Plus the rangers had a good laugh at my little Grand Am on snow covered roads in God's country. (A 4w drive vehicle is on my bucket list)
Yeah when I bought the car it had a new 600CCA batt in it. I swapped it out for my 700 or 750cca battery that was 1 yrs old. No way would I trust that little guy in cold temps.
I think that would have been a better setup. Just taking down camp my fingers were so cold they went numb and I had to warm them up to buckle. If I had to use the jumper that would be extra time messing in the cold.
Yeah a farmer has to keep his older tractors plugged in or he can't get them running in the coldest winter days.

I keep something like this in each vehicle (mine are different brands).
https://www.amazon.com/GOOLOO-18000mAh-SuperSafe-Starter-Portable/dp/B0748D8KT6
The whole unit weighs just a couple pounds and is small so you can carry it in a winter coat pocket and bring it in the house with you.
I live in a cold environment as well. I leave them in the cars for a couple months and they still have plenty of charge to start a car.
The one I have for my truck can jump start a 6L diesel something like 20 times before needing recharged.
Lolol that's the big brother of my knock off. Mine is harbor freights viking one that isn't strong enough for diesels but claims it can jump a v8 several times. The price on those nice units was off putting since I only usually camp in that temp 1-3 nights each year. I do like how light and small they are though.

I have a NOCO jump starter and it has saved me twice when my battery died. My only suggestion is to bring it in someplace warm then remember to take it back to the vehicle every time. I would forget it and wind up stuck with a dead battery. Maybe a small insulated lunch bag would help. If you needed the jump starter and it was cold you could put it under your arm and warm it up some. Better yet put it in someone else's arm pit. ;)
This is the one I have in each vehicle.
https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB40-Ul...X0CAXY7ZPZ5&psc=1&refRID=02P7XZAJYX0CAXY7ZPZ5
Yup that's like the one I have but mine is a Chinese copy. Lol. Mine is the harbor freight viking jump starter. I think it says it can jump a gas v8 several times. When I was looking to buy one a year back it was several bucks more. Dang technology and price drop. After that hammock trip on my way home I bought the harbor freight version. I thought about one in the past but almost being stuck there made me buy it.

I think I will try and put it at the foot of my hammock next time under the insulation
Thanks

Another idea

Provided the battery is good, turn on the headlights to get current going to generate heat via the chemical reaction inside the battery just long enough to get the headlights to shine brightly. Then turn off the headlights before trying to start the engine.

It may sound counterintuitive but in theory it should work to heat up the battery.

Ben
Haha it does but makes sense also. Never thought to tru that thanks!

Reactions: Neb
Back in the old days we pulled the batteries from the cars and took em inside to sit by the stove till morning. For a couple nights a year away from civilization, I'd get a little foam cooler and some hand warmers for the jump pack. At the RC airplane field, we keep the LIPO battery we are going to use inside our coat till it's time to fly.

Back in the old days we pulled the batteries from the cars and took em inside to sit by the stove till morning. For a couple nights a year away from civilization, I'd get a little foam cooler and some hand warmers for the jump pack. At the RC airplane field, we keep the LIPO battery we are going to use inside our coat till it's time to fly.
Thanks that sounds like a good idea. Those hand warmers are pretty cheap after deer season too which is when I usually go.

I did switch out my regular battery for an optima battery. Because it is not lead/acid it might hold a charge better in the cold.
Ok. I have heard good things about them. Just that they are pretty expensive. I guess you get what you pay for.

Latest posts

Back