Just an idea.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Many of us throw out things that can be recycled and here is what I do. I like bacon and eggs for breakfast, what to do with the coffee grounds and eggs shells. I have two aluminum pans that I use to dry and store the residue for recycling into my greenhouse garden. The shells and grounds are allowed to dry completely and accumulate as well. I have a large electric blender that the residue goes into along with sufficient water. I then hit the liquify button and let the blender do it's job. When the residue has liquified I put this into my watering can and add additional water. My "food waste" now has a 2nd chance to feed us. I also save the bacon grease for other uses besides additional seasoning. For those who use charcoal place two or more tablespoons of hardened grease on top of the fuel and close the lid to let the grease melt onto the fuel. After the fat has melted simply light as you would using fluid. Not only are you saving money by not using a charcoal lighter fuel you are adding additional flavor to your cooking without adding calories. I also use a gas grill, in my smoker box I use 1/2 teaspoon along with the wood and it adds a great flavor.
Sam

I had a composter that was difficult to use that I got rid of this summer. It was a bin with 4 sides and a lid. A partitioned compost bin is easier, iMHO, because you can turn the compost from one bin to the next. I 4 sided bin was a pain.

One of the things that was in it were egg shells from many years ago. I have since saved egg shells. I have a bin that I put them in and when the bin is full and the egg shells are dry, I crush them. Then I put the crushed egg shells into my electric coffee grinder and pulverize them into powder. I sprinkle the egg shell powder around plants. A watering can would be a great place to put the powder as well, but I water with a hose and a wand. The powdered egg shell no doubt breaks down and adds nutrients to the plants, and each year that I turn the soil and plant again, the powder is further distributed into the soil.

I used to use coffee grounds when I made coffee for myself, but since I am gone to various homes with my house sitting so frequently, I have found it easier to use instant coffee.

Latest posts

Back